Notices

18 Years old, need help?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

18 Years old, need help?

Hey um this is kinda I dunno a long stretch I suppose just looking for people to listen I suppose...

I started drinking/going to partys when I was 13, Was always the nerdy kid,brainy intelligent, but found out quickly that drinking was a great way to mask that, I WAS ACTUALLY GOOD AT IT,

I found that anyone I meet I could drink under the table, By the time I was 16 I could beat people way older and bigger than me in drinking games, and I was proud of it.

Skip foward a couple of years old enough to legally drink here, im not drinking every day, but when I do drink its way to much(at least twice a week)((Mix in weed every now and again)),

Go into the city to go night clubbing, tell my self "ok i'll just have a few quiet ones with my mates" they for some reason manage to control themselfs and I end up spending my weeks pay from working part time at Burger King...

Instead of working on assignments for the course im doing at Uni, I avoid doing them and go out drinking instead, I've now failed the course and have a $4000 student loan to pay back with nothing to show for it....

I have a really awesome Girlfriend who is my biggest motivating factor to get my life back on track, but everything feels so numb and surreal... I just don't seem to have any self control when it comes to drinking...

I'm not sure what to do
Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I understand your feelings. I feel lost and confused also. I have to turn over my problems to my Higher Power to get me thru these rocky places.

You may want to give AA a shot. It's a great place to be where the people love you and value you just for who you are, not for what you do or did.

You may also want to speak with a doctor about safely detoxing. Depending on how much or how often you drink your withdrawal can be anything from irritation and anxiety to needing medical intervention. Best to be safe and let your doctor know you are thinking about quitting drinking.

If sobriety is your goal I wish you the best in achieving it. If not for sobriety I wish for you to be more at peace with yourself. To put your problems in the hands of one who is bigger than you.

All the best to you.:ghug3:praying
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best advice I can give you as someone who has struggled with the addiction for years is that the earlier you catch it and do something about it the better.

If I had realized at 18 that I was headed down a path of alcoholism and dependency and I took action then, I would be better off beyond words.

If it starts to effect your life like that (failing in school, financial problems) you may want to take a step back and look at your using, and take steps to avoid drinking.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...it's time you quit messings up your future.
What do you plan to do?

Blessings to you and your special girl
Welcome!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All my life I've wanted to do some thing like Media Arts/Photography/something in the music industry. Then for the last year or so have been thinking seriously about law, but between getting drunk/arrested for disorderly behaviour and not having any prerequistites due to failing this course, its not looking very promising.

It feels like my whole future has just run itself off the tracks!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your future hasn't ran itself off the tracks in my opinion, you can always move forward no matter your predicament. Not the mistakes you make, but what you learn from 'em. For me, I was a slow learner. Took a few kicks in the teeth...or a hundred.

What really hit me and one of the things that made me desire change (and I still struggle with it abstinence and sobriety) was what if my future was "off the tracks," and was not able to be repaired and I was spending my life in jail as a result of something I did while drinking.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hey Crazy Kid,

I don't have much to add except to say welcome. You're whole future doesn't sound too off track just yet - not to say that it can't get there. But you have so much opportunity to correct things and get back on track and be the person you want to be. Have the life you want to have. Live your dreams.

Alcohol and pot will take those away from you if you don't guard them. And it sounds like that's what you're noticing. Take your life and dreams back, friend.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Crazykid,

Welcome to SR. Keep reading and posting. I wish you well with whatever you decide to do.

Barb
Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sct

Whatever causes us pain- is something we can grow and learn from. Your future isn't derailed- just a little different than you might have planned, and that's ok. You have a lot of time to change and get back to where you want to be. People have come back from worse, and twice your age.
Bear in mind... meetings are free. If you're not sure if you're an addict or an alcoholic, check out an "open" meeting and just listen.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Crazy. Welcome to our site. I agree that you are not off track yet. But you are certainly on the right track to be get off track if you stay on your current track.

If only I knew at your age what we can teach you now at your age. Stick around for a while and you'll see what I mean.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

heya crazy, welcome,

just stop, one day at a time, in a week or so the fog will start to clear!

I used to smoke weed for years (i'm 24), just to fit in. Nowadays i'm pretty content with my nerdy little self. It's okay to be smart and yourself! People will eventually respect you more, the right people that is.

take care,
Old 06-06-2008, 02:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im also 18 years old, I got totally out of control with oxycontin(prescription painkiller). ive been sober for 5 days. But anyways you just have to calm down and get your mind off things like go out with your girlfriend for instance... just do things to get your mind off of it and take it one day at a time
Old 06-06-2008, 02:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, All my mates have gone out drinking tonight, And here I am wrapped up in a blanket drinking lemonade... None of them were very supportive of me trying not to drink, im gunna let my girlfriend know tomorrow when I see her, I know she will be behind me 100%
Old 06-06-2008, 02:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

blankpost so i can send pm's
Old 06-06-2008, 03:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello CrazyKid, haven't much to add - just want to say hello and say again that if you take action you can get back on track. One day at a time. I find being in a group of other alcoholics helps me because they're supportive and understand. For me that means AA because its available. Don't give up! Don't despair! :ghug
Old 06-06-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hey kid (always wanted to say that)

glad your reaching out and looking for a solution to some problems...

me, i was 30 years old before i saw the problems, and 18 years later til i found a solution to the problems...

good wishes kid, or i should say, young man!

rz
Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Crazykid and welcome to SR. I was 21 years old when I went to my first AA meeting and was constantly told if only we knew at your age what we know now. I was the youngest in the meeting room and it was large because it was a very big city. I was constantly telling myself I am so different from these people because they lost this and that. They were in jail because of this and that. I stayed sober for, I think, 3 months and then bailed. I even had a sponsor.

Now fast forward to age 42 (almost) years old and my problems progressed. It was no longer weekend partying, or after work a few nights a week. It became every night at 4 pm until closing time (bedtime). I was functional though. I took care of my son, washed the dishes, and then zoned out in our bedroom until time to close the eyes.

I haven't been arrested. I haven't been divorced. I haven't blah - blah - blah, BUT I don't want to fast forward another so many years and see that I've progressed to that point either.

Bottom line you can nip in the bud now or you can take the long road I took. God bless you and God speed!!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Crazy, follow this link and take the quiz Alcoholics Anonymous :

If you are 18 then you are a very smart lad to be seeing what drinking is doing to you right now.

Have you tried "Just not drinking?

Do you think you may be an alcoholic?

If you determine that you are an alcoholic and want to stop drinking but seem to always wind up drinking again no matter how hard you try I would suggest getting into a long term recovery program. The key to any recovery program is to WORK the program!!!!

I used AA for my recovery, but there are other programs as well to try out.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CrazyKid View Post
Well, All my mates have gone out drinking tonight, And here I am wrapped up in a blanket drinking lemonade... None of them were very supportive of me trying not to drink, im gunna let my girlfriend know tomorrow when I see her, I know she will be behind me 100%
You'll find in your change in lifestyle towards a sober lifestyle many of the people you used to associate it with will no longer matter, and you won't get along with them anymore. I found that many of my friendships revolved around us drinking and getting hammered together. Now that I'm sober, I don't even talk to them, we don't even get along sober.

I found once I got sober (or in the trying stage of it) I really found out who my true friends were. Some were supportive and respectful of my problem, others treated me as "one of those other people," or something.

Just keep at it, in time you'll find people who will not be toxic towards your goal.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

There are real friends and there are drinking buddies!

Want a dozen drinking buddies? Go to any bar and buy a round!!!!

I have friends today, not drinking buddies! I can call my friends at any hour of the day or night and they will drop what they are doing and help me, try that with a drinking buddy!