Notices

18 Years old, need help?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stay with us, CrazyKid - as Daddio, Vig & others said, oh to be 18 & know what we know now. You never have to walk the sad & tragic path we've walked. It's so wonderful you've had the sense to reach out now for help. Please let us know how you're doing. We'll be right there with you.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Crazy kid
At 18 you talk like you're a very mature person. You realise this is getting control over you, rather than you controlling it. So first of all i would like to say well done for noticing that.
Now that you realise you have a problem it is up to you where you go from here.
I too failed at uni primarily because of drinking and now at the age of 38 i am about to restart where i left off. It is never too late to go back to uni, but for now concentrate on your well being.
You mentioned your girlfriend being a factor in you getting sober. To be honest i would say do it for yourself, it can fail if you do it for others.
You have so much life to live and you have now acknowledged you have a problem, which is the first step in putting it right. So for that i want to congratulate you.
Feel free to send me a message anytime and i will respond.
Paul
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Addict

Life goes soooo quick. I'm 32 and have been drinking and taking drugs since my teens, 18 seems like such a long time ago. Nothing really stands out that I can remember which is sad as those years are meant to be some of your best. As others have said, your young and bright, live your own live and look after yourself. You've made a start by finding this site and I wish you the very best.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Hi Crazykid and welcome to SR. I was 21 years old when I went to my first AA meeting and was constantly told if only we knew at your age what we know now. I was the youngest in the meeting room and it was large because it was a very big city. I was constantly telling myself I am so different from these people because they lost this and that. They were in jail because of this and that. I stayed sober for, I think, 3 months and then bailed. I even had a sponsor.
Hi Kid- I am new to AA and what Horselover said above about her first visit to AA is very similar to my current experience with AA. I am 29 years old and have not had a lot of the horror story bottoms that I hear about in AA happen to me.

I try very hard to keep two things in mind:
1. I am very lucky, because any number of things COULD have happened to me.

2. I like my life and don't want to lose what I have.

I hope these thoughts and the AA program work and keep me sober. Good luck with your sobriety! I am glad to hear that you have a supportative girlfriend. She sounds wonderful.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

I can pretty much relate. I find it's really hard to get sober when you're young...and in college. But sobriety brings so many positive things. I've found I'm much happier and my life is looking bright once again. I've also got my motivation back!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
sct

I'm 20 now... and I do hear the 'if I knew when I was your age...' and sometimes it gets kind of old (pun intended), but I know that when people say that, they're just being honest. The important thing, is for you to quit for you. You can be young and quit, I'm just glad I have time now to start over with some things, and to undo some of the damage I did when I was using.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

gahhhh I had a real problem night.... I was wondering if anyone wanted to talk on msn on something... please pm me ?