Codie Relapse???

Old 05-26-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codie Relapse???

Ok, got a question for you all.

My son called me from "camp" today and after the initial "hi, how are you?" he said, "mom, you've got to help me out here!"

Do you know how much I hate that sentence??? It's as bad as the call 3:00 in the morning, beginning, "MOM???" No! I don't want to hear it!!

I told him I'm not listening! I have my fingers in my ears, but on he went. Ok, here was the latest request in his words!

"Mom, you've got to help me out here. We have a mamma cat with 5 kittens here. They're all Calicos and they need homes! I'm afraid the captain is going to have them put down. Please call a rescue group!"

I mean really, is there no rest for the weary here???

I wasn't going to lift a finger but instead I found a rescue group in the area and called the Camp Commander to talk to him about rescuing the kitties! He said, "who is your son?" I said, "terrible John!" He said, "of course, it would be him!" What's that suppose to mean? Hmmmm? Anyway, he said, sure send the group in with the rescue equipment.

I said, "well at least you know he's not there for animal abuse!" He said, that's true. I said, you see I did something right in raising him!! He laughed!

So, would this be considered a codie relapse?? I mean do you think it's right up there with having the warden of San Quentin's number on my speed dial?

What next? Will this child always have a need??

Hugs, Devastated
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This HAS to go down in the records. I am laughing outloud!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Absolutely not!!!!!!

Your son called, totally concerned about something OTHER THAN HIMSELF. That is progress.

No you did something that most of us would have done. Found a 'rescue group' to help some of our fourlegged friends.

Don't fret. You did good!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Resuing kittens doesn't sound like a relapse to me, Dev and I can picture that Camp Commander in stiches after a conversation with you...I bet he fell head over heels for you There are some things codies just have to do and taking care of defenseless baby animals is one of them.

I was just reading your post about telling the noisy mailman your son was in jail for killing a mailman...I'm cleaning the ice tea off my keyboard as I type.

You've done good Dev...Any son who wants to rescue kittens is A okay in my book!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

Thats just too funny Devastated~~~~Your forgiven for the codie slip but only because you didn't have all the kittens delivered to your house.. Thats really cute!!! AND~~~now your in charge of making me giggle on a weekly basis.....
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cat lover here, youve got a kind heart, your story sure put a smile on my face today.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi again

You know I just got over placing 3 different litters in foster homes. 18 beautiful kittens and one mamma, so this wasn't something new to me; however, it was amazing how easy it was this time.

Here were I live, there are no rescue groups and no help with spay/neutering. It's really sad. So when the first person I called led me to this wonderful group that will TNR (trap, neuter, release) or in this case actually put all of them up for adoption, I was so happy.

Greeteachday, those are the sweetest babies I've ever seen, maybe I should send the Camp Commander that picture???

Oh my, that ice tea gets sticky doesn't it? LOL

Oh, and by the way, the last one he rescued still lives with me. That would be Gino Bambino. His last landlord said he couldn't keep him, so guess who took him in? Yep, good old Mom.

Laurie that's true huh? I think he likes animals more than people. But then, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree because I like animals better than kids! LOL

BBD you're not far from wrong when you said "because I didn't have the kittens delivered to my house!" That was the first thing Mr. Dev said. God love him, he's been such a good sport with all these rescues lately.

Peachtree, I don't know about that going down in the records though. Have you ever seen a real CODIE at work?? I think a couple of the sweet CODIE moms broke down doors of a crack house looking for their kids.

How can this be? How can he be in prison and still get me to run and fetch!

It's ok though, I would rather he was this way than be hateful to animals. Like I told the Commander, "At least I did something right in raising him!" LOL

These fire camps are really great. Last time we visited we were in the waiting room and John came in. Before he can visit us they pat him down. When the officer got to the legs (you know how they feel each leg right?) John said "I love a man with strong hands!" Talk about spitting ice tea on the key board! OMG! The other officer almost died laughing, me too!

We were going to Bar-B-Cue and the officer came out and said "make sure you clean up the area after your finished, or I'll have to hit you with this spatula!" To which John replied, "don't threaten me with a good time!" LOL
The officer just threw his hands in the air and walked away shaking his head.
Too funny!

Say, maybe I should try to upload a photo of one of the babies from the last rescue. I'll try,but if nothing shows up, you'll understand I'm still just learning.
Here goes:

Old 05-26-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

YIPES! It worked. Ann says if you click on the photo it will enlarge! Try it, it works.

Sweet baby huh?

Hugs, Devastated
Old 05-26-2008, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Your son obviously knows how capable + dependable you are.
He knows just how big your heart is.
He knows you love him.
He knows a lot.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Aww, that was no relapse, Dev, just a kind heart doing a good deed.

It says so here in the Codie Handbook, Section 5, paragraph IV subsection (a)...here, read for yourself...

...And let it be known that kindness to animals shall never be classified as enabling, but simply as the good deed that signifies a big heart.

Let is also be known that even if the said "rescuer" is wearing peculiar shoes and wedding attire befitting a prison...she's not really crazy, she's just on a codie road trip.

One must never argue with the Codie Handbook, it says it all, yes?

P.S. It makes a mama proud when her boy is such a good camper. Big hugs to him too and to the Camp Commander (who you surely have on speed-dial by now, yes?)
Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((Dev))

I love reading your posts, and make SURE that I'm not drinking/eating anything that can mess up my laptop

If it had been me, I'd have all the kitties at home, with the 3 cats/1 dog we already have.

Sounds to me, like your son has inherited your sense of humor!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dev,
Thank you so much for the laughs this morning. You did a great job with your son. You did not relapse, you only helped something that could not help themselves. Your son asked you to help something other than himself or one of his friends. He has a very caring heart, be proud of that. He is in the right place for him now and is making the best of it, by taking after mom with his humor.
The guards seem to have a good sense of humor there too, which is good for everyone involved.
Hugs and prayers coming to you and your family
Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Seems to me, the only place left for us codies to "practice our craft" is with the animal kingdom!

You're my kind of gal!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dev,

That is precisely WHY god made puppies and kittens, so that we codie moms with so much love and wisdom can have a healthy outlet for all of it.

I'm glad I don't live closer to where you are. I have a hard time saying "no" when it comes to fur babies...

Cats
Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

being an animal lover myself, heck no that wasn't a codie moment.

isn't it hard to figure out whats codie and whats not????
Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks

Whew! I thought for sure I was going to get the "bunny slippers" nudge with that one!

Ann, thank the Lord you have the new edition of the CODIE HANDBOOK! Why is it I haven't received mine yet? I'll bet it's because you paid more dues than I have.

You're right, Ann, it sure does make a Mamma proud of her "inmate" son. Remember when I actually framed all his "achievement awards" from jail and prison! People would come over the house and see those awards (me standing there so proud) and say, "you've got to be kidding!"

KIDDING? ABOUT WHAT?

Most of the guards (officers) in those camps are really nice and treat the guys with respect. The ones that are really difficult are the women! No sense of humor at all! All business! Guess they have to prove themselves huh?

I remember when my son was on restriction there at the camp because he had checked out the equipment for the pool table (didn't know how else to explain that) and left before the guys were finished playing, so the equipment didn't get returned to the office.

The woman officer called him in and yelled about that for an hour! Then took his priviledges away for a week! He said, "I stomped my feet, and had myself a hissy fit right before her eyes! It made her happy to see how much I was going to suffer, ha ha!" He said the male officers were standing behind her mouthing "don't argue with her" to him.

Man, how do people get through life without a sense of humor??

How'd you all like my little kitten? So cute huh?

Hugs, Devastated
Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the laugh - I needed that today.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler
Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Absolutely not!!!!!!

Your son called, totally concerned about something OTHER THAN HIMSELF. That is progress.

No you did something that most of us would have done. Found a 'rescue group' to help some of our fourlegged friends.

Don't fret. You did good!!!!!!!
Sign my name to this! I'm all for saving kittens!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Oh good heavens, what a wonderful son you have there. Obviously he inherited his warm, caring heart from his parents.

In my thinking, helping defenseless animals in no way could EVER be contrued as "enabling, or codependent" nope, not ever!

Congrats on the good job you're doing, Dev, and congrats to having such a wonderful son, (even though he manages to get into a wee bit of trouble now and then)

P.S. My oldest son made me a Gazebo out of popsicle sticks, and it's one of my prized possessions, it sits on our fireplace mantle.

And chances are, I'm going to be able to add to my collection shortly.

Love ya, Dev...
Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

You've done good Dev...Any son who wants to rescue kittens is A okay in my book!

Mine too.
I think ya did what any mom would do for her child.
Saved the kittens.
(((((((((Dev))))))))))