OT - Prayers needed, please

Old 05-24-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Prayers needed, please

One of my servers at work, Randy, had a stroke at work last night. He's only 36, is married with 2 kids, 6 and 8. His wife works, but they are totally dependent on both incomes. They are from NY and have no family here.

I'm very grateful that I remembered my nursing stuff, and was able to help the paramedics with information. Randy couldn't talk or move his left arm, but once I found his phone, he was able to get me his wife's number. I told the paramedics what I had noticed and then found out what meds he was taking from his wife. At one point, Randy reached over with his right arm and hugged me and laid his head on my shoulder. He was really scared, and I just kept assuring him that we were getting him taken care of.

We were going to go to the hospital after work, but another server called his wife and she said that he'd definitely had a stroke, he was sedated, and she was home. At first I thought it strange that she was home, but then remembered the kids.

I'm feeling really helpless, but I know the power of prayers. This hit too close to home and I'm pretty much an emotional wreck. I'll be okay, but I think I'm going to let the tears come that I've been holding back all night.

Thanks!

Amy
Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amy,
Sending prayers for Randy and his family. I will keep them in prayers for awhile to make sure he is doing well. I am also sending them to you, you are a strong lady and we all could use some extra prayers once in awhile.
Hugs to you
Old 05-24-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Thank God you were there with him Amy. I'm sure he was terrified. I know I would be.

God put you there for a reason. Very few people who have thought of the things you did like getting ahold of his wife, finding out what meds he was on and the basic comforting you gave him.

I'm sure he will never forget it.

Of course I'll send Prayers up for Randy and his Family as well as you.

Imagine if you were still using, you would have not had the good sense to react the way you did.

God Bless,
Judy

Old 05-24-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How very scary that must have been for you Amy. Sending prayers for Randy, his family and for you. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-24-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Prayers for Randy and his family and big hugs for you because you deserve each one of them.

Often people can step into a crisis and do what needs to be done, and then only later does the reality hit and the emotions set in. Be good to yourself today and tomorrow, this has been more traumatic than you may think.

Hugs to a Hero :ghug3:ghug3
Old 05-24-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Bless You

Sending prayers. I had one at 32, with three little ones and no help. Thank the Lord everything came back for me, my speach, use of my right arm and leg, the only residual was I never did get the use of my short term memory back. I still struggle with that 13 years later.

You got him help quicky, that is so very important, you may have saved his life for that matter.

Praying for you, him and his family
B
Old 05-24-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

How wonderful that you were there to provide the expert care he needed in that moment, Amy....it never ceases to amaze me how God places us where we are needed...
Prayers for Randy and his family
Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Amy, your coworker and his family have my prayers. I'm so glad you were there to assist. It must have been very frightening though. No matter how much medical knowledge you have, it's a little different when it is someone you know and care about, I imagine. Hugs
Old 05-24-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Prayers for Randy and his family and for you too.

I agree that you were right where you needed to be. He needed an angel and you were the closest one. God bless you.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SISSY I AM CALLING AS SOON AS I FIND YOUR NUMBER E MOVED THE OFFICE!!!!! I LOVE YOU AND YOU DID SO DAMN GOOD GIRL THANK GOD YOU WORKED LAST NIGHT, IT COULD OF BEEN SO MUCH WORSE SO CRY YOUR HEART OUT IT IS CALLED RELIEF, HE FELT IT WHEN YOU TOOK OVER ISNT IT COOL BEING A NURSE?!!?!!?!!

i LOVE YA GIRL!!!!

LOVE HUGS PRAYERS AND LOADS OF SUPPORT!

PAMM
Old 05-24-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

:praying

What a scary experience for all of you....sending prayers, hugs and love, Rica
Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

He is in my prayers and thank goodness you were there for him.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I just tried to call his wife, but it went to voice mail, so I left a message. I decided not to go to the hospital tonight. I know he will be there for a while, and I'm just not up to it yet.

Frankly - thanks so much for the success story. I worked in Neuro ICU, and dealt a LOT with people with brain injuries from stroke, cancer, or trauma. However, once they got "stable" we moved them out and I never got to see how they did. I know that fast treatment is very important and he got that. I also know that this is going to take a good while. When I went to MN for my uncle's funeral in Nov., our general manager had a stroke and he was never able to return to work.

I do know that all your prayers will definitely help...they're helping me already.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-24-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just wanted to update you...prayers WORK!! Just got off the phone with Shalonda, Randy's wife and he's made almost a complete recovery!!! All movement back in his left arm, no facial drooping, and he's talking "almost normal" and is even eating! He told her I was "awesome" last night....I told her I was scared to death, but that was my buddy and, thank God, I still remembered what needed to be done.

I'm so grateful that we got him help fast enough and that he's going to be okay. She told me to thank everyone that has been praying for him, so a BIG thank you from us!!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-24-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

so good to hear sissy, i remember him from the night you guys were robbed......love ya!!!!!!!!! btw still cant find it so call on your way to work tonight!!!!!

love yas,
Pamm
Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, I found out the news isn't all good. Sounds like he has major heart problems, so am keeping him in my prayers. I will be glad when I can talk to him, because he's always honest with me about what's going on and usually comes to me with questions.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-28-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just a little update.

Talked to Randy's wife last night and he has had to have brain surgery to remove a clot and they had to remove a portion of his skull for swelling. After all that, he is stable....breathing on his own, following commands and vital signs are stable. His heart has been working at a decreased function but they say it is because of high blood pressure, which is now under control.

Family has come from NY, and their 2 small kids are with family in SC, then will be going to FL. I told her I thought that was wise, since they are surrounded by love and she can focus on Randy, knowing they are well taken care of.

I had mentioned that our company has an emergency plan for employees. I didn't know anything about it except that I donate to it, and it is for financial emergencies. She asked me about it last night and I told her I'd check into it more (they have NO insurance).

My manager, D, came in and got the forms off the computer. We filled out the part we could, and I will call her this morning and let her know what she needs to do. D's only filled it out once, for an employee, and the company was very prompt in helping out, so I'm hoping it will help them.

I'm a little overwhelmed with gratitude...that I'm clean, that I could help when he had the stroke, and that I remembered about the emergency fund, since no one else has even mentioned it. It feels pretty darn good, but I realize this is just HP working through me.

So, please continue to keep Randy, Shalonda and the kids in your prayers. They still have a long way to go, but every time I talk to Shalonda, she says to tell everyone praying for him "thanks". I haven't even met her, yet, but hopefully will, soon.

Thanks!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-28-2008, 04:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

****{Amy}}}
Old 05-28-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

thank you for the update, Amy....big hugs for you and continued prayers for Randy and all who cherish him..