Notices

Memorial Day

Old 05-23-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Memorial Day

To all my new found friends here at SR. Last night before bed I had a bowl of fresh cut strawberries with some Blue Bell Vanilla ice cream. Yes, it was very good. I just listened to one my favorite old vids on YouTube. "Supermans's Song" by the Crash Test Dummies. You know, we all just do our thing, then go home - just like Sup. I am now listening to some blues on Pandora.com.

I am going over to my best friend's lake house for a couple of days. That would be Lake Bruin in Louisianna. You can Google Map it if you have any interest. This will be my second sober Memorial Day as an adult. I will also be the only one there sober. Which is fine. My friends are very supportive (doesn't mean they will put down their hootch though). I will cook up some good chow for the bunch

All of this because life has taken on a whole new meaning in my 578 days of sobriety and recovery. God has blessed me abundantly. Sights, sounds, smells have a life that I never before remember experiencing. I'm certainly enjoying them now.

Y'all take care and remember that for this Memorial Day weekend - we can pass a field sobriety test!! WooHoo!!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Daddio for your post. This will be my FIRST sober Memorial day since I can't remember. I feel pretty good about it and my Mom, who used to drink right along with me, said no to wine when I told her she needed to bring it if she wanted it because I didn't feel up to buying it now. She actually said, "Well I don't really need any wine and I'm not going to have any." I was happy for her because between me and you and the fence post, has a problem with the drink too. She's admitted to me over the years that she needs to get it out of her life and so, maybe I'll be a good example, but besides that I am looking forward to the long weekend with husband and son. We are putting up a small, above ground pool up and my son is very excited as are the neighbor kids down the road. I've always wanted to be the house where the kids congregate because then I can keep an eye on them and my son and know his friends.

Any ways, happy Memorial Day Daddio and thank you so much for your wise posts and your friendship. Enjoy your stay at the lake!!

Sarah
Old 05-23-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think I'll work on my garden and mow the yard this holiday if the weather allows it. And I'll be thanking the Creator the whole day for giving me another sober day.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Daddio good for you! Enjoy the weekend that sounds like fun!

Happy Memorial Day!!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You guys, that sounds SO awesome! I'm going to be staying at the beach! A little worried about it though because it is MY first Memorial Day sober and though I'm getting used to hanging out with my husband while he drinks, it may feel different when we're on the beach. Kids get to surf! I get to walk and lounge in the sun!

I also get to re-connect with a long lost friend on Saturday! (Another time where not drinking will seem strange since she was my drinking buddy.)
Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope all my wonderful American friends have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!