Notices

Suboxone??

Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone??

I am new to this forumn so please excuse me if I repeat questions previously answered.

I want to know what people think of suboxone. Have you used it? Would you recommend it? How long does one usually use it for? How do you know when to wean off of it? Is it as bad to get off as the vicodin?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

How long does one usually use it for? How do you know when to wean off of it? Is it as bad to get off as the vicodin?
I have no experience at all with it but the questions above should be asked to a dr.

Welcome to SR.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First off the dr. at a suboxone clinic pushes the drug so they are of course going to say positive things about it. They are not going to tell you that it is so bad to get off that it is worse than the drug which is what my husband read somewhere.

One employee at the rehab my husbandwas at said to me briefly before he was discharged "the sooner he is off that stuff the better but I am not speaking on behaf of the clinic when I say that" She would not say anymore further.

My husband won't ask the questions himself so I was curious to see how others felt about it that actually have taken it.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Maybe talk with a dr that is not affiliated with the suboxone clinic.

I did not mean to offend you, I just get nervous when questions like that are asked because everyone can have a differnt reaction to things and it has been my experience that the best advice comes from medical professionals.

Not to mention we are a bunch of addicts hanging around here at SR :
Old 05-22-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmm, I really have to disagree. I was a stone cold addict before suboxyn, running around, spending all my cash, high, unreliable, didn't pay my bills, put my own life in jeopardy, didn't take good care of my own children. Suboxyn saved my life, I have to say. I'm tapering, cut down to less than 1/2 my original dose, only on 3mg a day, and I've only been on it for 47 days. I tried to taper off of the pain pills with no luck, but the suboxyn is totally easier, because you do not get high at all. You just don't suffer withdrawal. Almost everybody in my home group got off dope with suboxyn. And most of them are off of suboxyn now. I think it probably isn't for everyone but for me it's a miracle.
KJ
Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Suboxone, in my experience, should only be for a 7 day withdrawal of heroin or strong opiates. They are starting to prescribe it like a methadone pill for maintenance program.

Now, I agree if you absolutely can not get clean and stay clean from heroin, oxycontin, other strong opiates and your life is forever in the crapper, maybe you might want to try that maintenace program.

The problem is my doctor prescribed it to me for a vicodin addiction, and I was on for 6 months at 8 mg which is pretty light compared to most maintenance users - there are so many people on 16 and 32 mg for YEARS and honestly, they probably won't be able to ever get off.

Why? Because my acute withdrawal from Suboxone was 5 weeks long. Imagine kicking heroin for 5 weeks straight - heroin addicts don't even have to go through that. I'm in the middle of my 90 day Post Acute Withdrawal period, and it sucks.

All because I believed an addiction Dr when he told me - "this drug program is perfect for you - no more cravings, no more relapses, and when you're ready to wean off, it'll be discomforting for about a week or maybe more, but the withdrawals will be milder than the vicodin." Actual quote.

Bull CRAP. I went through full blown heroin withdrawal for 5 weeks, and my opiate receptors in my brain are trashed for another 60 days.

check subsux.com and heroin-detox.com and find hundreds of more stories on this evil poison that the drug companies are paying doctors to misrepresent, all under the guise of "harm reduction".

Do NOT TOUCH THAT CRAP YOU WILL REGRET IT.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Let me say that I have been in a Suboxone treatment program for nine months.There will be allot of mixed feelings on here about it.Personally, it was my way to start a healing process I was otherwise unable to do.It was the lesser of two evils, so to speak.
I would not listen to anyone who has not been on it before, or has not lived a sober life while using it.If you are truly looking to end your addiction, and have failed time and time again, research information, and make a educated decision.Nothing is a magic bullet.Suboxone is a "tool" in opiate recovery, it is not the cure, and it should not be mislead to be one.Yes, while tapering off people have difficulty, I was told that.Some people have almost no poblems, some have a very hard time.What works for you, may not work for another.I did it because I was so sick of life chasing opiates on the street, just to function normally.It has given me the chance to work on myself emotionally, I do not regret it now, and I hope I won't in the future, but I will follow the guidelines through the tapering the best I can to insure that I do not suffer needlessly.Just educate yourself, there are good and bad opinions in any method of recovery out there(in the public's eye), it is just a matter of what You, as an individual gain through the process.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been on suboxone for going on two years now. I wish I hadn't dragged it out this long, the only thing I can blame it on is just being mentally weak. I just remember what I felt like before I found painkillers. I felt so good, I had energy to burn. I have been on 2 and a half 8 mg pills a day for almost two years. Now I'm to the point where I don't take them every day I may go as long as 3 days and not take one and I really don't feel any withdrawals so I'm hoping when I do taper off it doesn't hit me that hard. It's hard to believe how extremely different it affects people. Some people ween off fairly easily and some say it's unbearable. I can tell you that it's really expensive if you don't have insurance. I went to pick mine up once and my insurance didn't kick in yet and they said that 75 pills was going to cost me almost 600 dollars. Anyway good luck.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Have you used it? Would you recommend it? How long does one usually use it for? How do you know when to wean off of it? Is it as bad to get off as the vicodin?
Nope...never used it. Nope...wouldn't recommend it. I have no idea how long a person needs to use it or it takes to get off of it. The questions you're asking seem to fall under medical advice, and I'm certainly not qualified....no experience.

If you ran a search on this site, I'm sure you'll get varying opinions and experiences of the pros and cons and you'll still have to decide for yourself. I agree with Paulie that a qualified (unbiased) medical professional should be asked.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do recommend it. I think it's way easier to get off than other opiates are. It may be expensive, but it sure is a lot cheaper than daily street drugs are, by a whole bunch. And it's legal. So you can live a more normal life. No arrests, no lawyer bills, probation fees, dopesickness, etc..It was a great way for me to get clean.

I've heard a lot of opinions from people on here who were not on dope and never tried suboxone. If you weren't on dope, then you don't have any experience kicking dope. It really is different than kicking anything else, as you are physically much sicker than from coke, or most other drugs. I tried to kick many times in other ways, but suboxone was what worked. So I have to say I'd highly recommend it if you didn't do well on cold-turkey or tapering.

But don't use a high dose, don't take more than recommended, follow the doctor's orders, find a very experienced sub doc, ensure you dissolve the tablets for 20 minutes before swallowing your saliva, and taper as soon as you're comfortable doing so, not before. It's not a rush-job, quick fix. It takes months. But you don't feel bad for those months. You feel normal.

Suboxone tends to work best in a supportive environment, not by itself. You still have to work on the inside stuff. You still need to get rid of your using and dealing friends. You still need meetings and steps.

Suboxone isn't for you if you aren't done getting high. Suboxone isn't like methadone. It won't numb you or get you high at all, IMO. It just keeps you from physical withdrawal, and helps keep your endorphine level normal, very much like an antidepressant would. I NEVER got high off of it. I never snorted it or shot it. I never cheated by not taking it and alternating with dope like some people try to do. I was ready to quit dope. I wanted out. If you aren't done, if you don't want off this stuff really bad, then it won't work.

Suboxone takes a bit of perseverance and organization, that's why some junkies don't do so well. You have to make appointments, not take other drugs, take the right dose at the right time, make meetings and find a new network of clean friends. IMO, you need a sponsor, steps, NA or AA, and a structured life to keep you busy.

If you're ready to do all that stuff, as I was, it might be as good a way out for you as it was for me. If you aren't really ready or able to stop at home, or if you need someone to regulate stuff and do a lot of hand-holding for you right now (which is perfectly OK, everyone is different), then inpatient cold-turkey might be better.

Suboxone isn't for everyone, but it was for me. Only you know whether you're ready to get busy or not. Only you know whether you are done with dope. I hope you are done.
KJ
Old 09-26-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I've heard a lot of opinions from people on here who were not on dope and never tried suboxone. If you weren't on dope, then you don't have any experience kicking dope.
That's true, but I (personally) have the experience of knowing many NA members who got clean from "dope" without a drug replacement program. My DOC wasn't an opiate, which is why I offered no opinion or medical advice - and logically, I wouldn't recommend anything I haven't done.

Here's what NA has to offer in this regard:

Regarding Methadone and Other Drug Replacement Programs
Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Ditto to that G.

I also would like to add that everyone is different and our experiences are different. And IMO this kind of forum is no place for any kind of medical advice meaning people telling people what could or could not happen if they use suboxone. Please discuss all these questions with a medical dr.

And one more thing that I am sure is not going to make me very popular around here LOL (not the first or the last time). It is important to remember that we do not know the person sitting in front of the computer asking these questions or giving comments. At times we may not be getting the entire story or details of situations.

Just something to think about, I am NOT speaking to anyone specific, just making a comment.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Of course not. I know that you never do give medical advice or try to advise people on replacement therapy, Garry.

I'm talking about the people that many encounter in NA who judge and alienate people who are on replacement therapy. That's a harmful trend I've noticed in NA. I think that addicts can benefit from being NA even though you are on replacement therapy, but a lot of people don't want addicts to participate in meetings while on suboxone.

I've also gotten tired of people thinking that suboxone and methadone are similar drugs. They aren't. Methadone gets you sleepy and high and is notorious as being worse to get off than heroin. Most people on suboxone will tell you that it isn't near as hard to get off of as dope, and it doesn't get you high or make you sleepy unless you sniff or inject it, which will also make you very ill, so nobody try it. Not worth it, I'm told. In fact, there are new clinical trials for suboxone being used as an antidepressant, so there will likely be many people who stay on it long-term in our society who aren't classed as addicts, IMO.

I just think we as NA members and fellow addicts should be supportive of people who need replacement therapy. Some people really do well on it, and go on to long-term abstinence.
KJ
Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I just think we as NA members and fellow addicts should be supportive of people who need replacement therapy. Some people really do well on it, and go on to long-term abstinence.
KJ
I wholeheartedly agree...anyone seeking our help (in NA) should receive it...YET...I cannot determine who NEEDS drug replacement or who doesn't. IMO, someone who comes to SR asking questions, like those asked, are seeking answers to help them make a decision. That decision could be based on a need or a choice...I don't know.

I'm familiar with the trials you went through, KJ. And I agree that their is a lot of bias in the rooms regarding drug replacement programs. And I think some of it comes from the issue of whether using a drug to get off another drug is neccessary. Another aspect is the issue of whether one is "clean" or not. I certainly can see both sides of this thing and can understand where you're coming from.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank God the only clean time we ever have to count is our own!!!
KJ:bounce
Old 10-09-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

my boyfriend tried it, and loved it. he felt it was much better then the "liquid handcuffs" aka methadone... but he relapsed. It will not work if one does not also work a program. It would be like taking cholesterol medicine. It does no good to take the medicine and wash it down with a Big Mac, shake and fries.

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
Suboxone tends to work best in a supportive environment, not by itself. You still have to work on the inside stuff. You still need to get rid of your using and dealing friends. You still need meetings and steps.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Thank God the only clean time we ever have to count is our own!!!
I don't know...I count a lot of people's clean time. LOL!! My sponsor, my sponsees, my home group members. etc... It helps me keep track of anniversaries. LOL!!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Lol G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ummmm just to add another perspective as this is issue is VERY close to the bone for me at present. I was put on to a replacement therapy, subutex, 6 years ago after using heroin/morphine for about 12mths. i guess I waswn't ready to stop or should've gone to rehab but it has been a choice of mixed blessings.

PRO; I was able to get me and my daughter out of a bad place by having money and time not chasing. We got a reallly nice life going. Access to counselling and professional help for people who are paranoid about Drs. like me its was safe and useful.

CON; It definately became another habit. Found out it could be injected so started on another rollercoaster, but didn't lose my quality of life cause of availability. Didn't feel welcome at NA either cause I was considered high in some eyes. I really needed NA.

PRO; Got counselling though and over time gradually healed emotionally enough to tell on myself which I did 4 days ago.

CON; Now I'm on suboxone and three times as high a dose.

PRO; I have broken one habit and make no mistake this is a REALLY BIG DEAL for some people like myself. I know for others its not about injecting as much and for them its probably easier to get clean in that way.

I don't know how it would have been for me without the program. but its really about what's going on inside a person that drives the outcome. i totally agree there should be heaps of support and counselling no matter what. I think sometimes in the overworked clinics they lose sight of this and just become legal peddlars, keeping crime rates lower etc... In this case the program is dangerous to recovery. I think that has happened to me a bit. But thank God for SR, I finally found non-judgemental support!

I really want to go to NA, now I'm nervous about negative attitude!? What is their problem?!!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh yeah the thing with suboxone is the drug is half-blocker half-opiate. So little bit of opiate and the rest block the receptors. That stops cravings with a little feel of opiate and stops witdrawal by blocking.

Heaps less effect than methadone. People who switch from methadone to sub say they have gotten their lives back, they are awake for first time in years. I did uni on it.

BTW don't ever bother using heroin or other straight opiate on it, you do not feel a thing. That is true. I've wasted hundreds trying.