Thread: Suboxone??
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
kj3880

I do recommend it. I think it's way easier to get off than other opiates are. It may be expensive, but it sure is a lot cheaper than daily street drugs are, by a whole bunch. And it's legal. So you can live a more normal life. No arrests, no lawyer bills, probation fees, dopesickness, etc..It was a great way for me to get clean.

I've heard a lot of opinions from people on here who were not on dope and never tried suboxone. If you weren't on dope, then you don't have any experience kicking dope. It really is different than kicking anything else, as you are physically much sicker than from coke, or most other drugs. I tried to kick many times in other ways, but suboxone was what worked. So I have to say I'd highly recommend it if you didn't do well on cold-turkey or tapering.

But don't use a high dose, don't take more than recommended, follow the doctor's orders, find a very experienced sub doc, ensure you dissolve the tablets for 20 minutes before swallowing your saliva, and taper as soon as you're comfortable doing so, not before. It's not a rush-job, quick fix. It takes months. But you don't feel bad for those months. You feel normal.

Suboxone tends to work best in a supportive environment, not by itself. You still have to work on the inside stuff. You still need to get rid of your using and dealing friends. You still need meetings and steps.

Suboxone isn't for you if you aren't done getting high. Suboxone isn't like methadone. It won't numb you or get you high at all, IMO. It just keeps you from physical withdrawal, and helps keep your endorphine level normal, very much like an antidepressant would. I NEVER got high off of it. I never snorted it or shot it. I never cheated by not taking it and alternating with dope like some people try to do. I was ready to quit dope. I wanted out. If you aren't done, if you don't want off this stuff really bad, then it won't work.

Suboxone takes a bit of perseverance and organization, that's why some junkies don't do so well. You have to make appointments, not take other drugs, take the right dose at the right time, make meetings and find a new network of clean friends. IMO, you need a sponsor, steps, NA or AA, and a structured life to keep you busy.

If you're ready to do all that stuff, as I was, it might be as good a way out for you as it was for me. If you aren't really ready or able to stop at home, or if you need someone to regulate stuff and do a lot of hand-holding for you right now (which is perfectly OK, everyone is different), then inpatient cold-turkey might be better.

Suboxone isn't for everyone, but it was for me. Only you know whether you're ready to get busy or not. Only you know whether you are done with dope. I hope you are done.
KJ