Think We Are Going To Try An Intervention

Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rozied

Think We Are Going To Try An Intervention

Since my SA's addiction has been going on I think we have tried just about everything to reach him except an intervention. My younger son & I were talking last nite & both think it would be worth a try. Someone from the town I used to live in had one, and she has been clean & sober now for sometime. I know when faced with this he doesn't have to go but its worth a try.
What do you all think?
Diane

Last edited by rozied; 05-05-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

During my RAD's active phase I left no stone unturned. I learned as much as I could about the disease, her DOC, and she found a therapist who in turn referred her to a psychiatrist that did diagnostics on her. Her father and I spent a lot of time and money to make sure she had every tool, resource available to her. I had to do that so that if the worst happened - death - I would know that I had done everything I possibly could to help our daughter.

Recently her psychiatrist called me and asked how I was doing. What a pleasant surprise! I told him I was fine and at peace with myself. That I've given her everything I can and now it's all up to her.

I think it's a good idea if it gives you peace of mind. If it doesn't work you will at least know in your mother's heart that you gave it your all. That's all you can do.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I too think it's a good idea. No stone unturned, exactly.

good luck
Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I did one on my son last yr. and he refused to go.
However, he did go one yr. later and is in rehab now. The interv. put the wheels
in motion. He just needed that additional yr. to fall closer to the bottom.

If you have a place ready and all the details worked out, might as well give it a shot.
It is successful many times.

I believe when they are heavily using they can't make plans or arrangements themselves and often only go when all they have to do is get in the car.
Give it a try.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hopefull husband

An intervention got my AW to rehab. I believe she was screaming for help then, now that I look back, so maybe she was a good target for intervention. But it worked.

Honestly, the whole experience was amazingly beneficial to me. I was completely lost and at wits end and when the idea of intervention came up, I started talking to interventionalists (don't know if thats a word). I started learning a lot. And just opening up and talking about it all helped. Then getting all the family together to talk about it was huge for me, and all of us. It also drew us together in support of my AW, when individually we had all pretty much given up.

And, no matter what happens, I know I tried everything in my power, and handed her the opportunity. Like Chino said, I can feel I gave it my all.

I have no idea what the success rate if for them, but having everyone there is a pretty powerfull thing.

I'd recommend getting a professional's help. The guy we used got us all lined out, what to do/say and what not to, kept us on track and really did a great job.

I wish you and your sons the best.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear bsfish & SS, I don't know if you ever saw the show Intervention on A & E. That is who I got in touch with. One of my youngest son's high school friends is a teacher. She became addicted to heroin & her mom got in touch with them. They did an Intervention with her 2 yrs ago & sent her to a rehab in California. Two yrs later she is still clean has a job wking in the rehab & also does work at a bootcamp. Her mom said staying out in California is the best thing for her & she is now very happy.
I have till at least Oct when he is due to be released from jail. I know there is no guarantee the show will pick our case to use but it is worth a try. They pay for everything & pretty much run it all. They are professional interventionists.
If I don't hear from them I know there are private interventionists but the only problem with that is I would have to pay for it all & I don't think I could afford it. I am certainly going to be doing an awful lot of praying.
Thanks again,
Diane
Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I do know an interventionist who is more reasonably priced than many if you want to PM me at some point. You are correct, they are costly.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Diane, I have applied twice for Intervention as my husband and I can't afford the high priced rehabs. Our daughter does have insurance that will pay for those in state. Unfortunately they did not pick us. I hope you have better luck. Even if the show does not pick you, you could do an intervention on your son. Just by refusing to enable him any longer, that is an intervention. As long as you can get everyone involved on the same page. I know you have trouble with the grandparents. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hopefull husband

I was fortunate enough to be able to afford some help, but before I got there I read a lot about how to do it, There is a lot of good information and guidance on line to do it yourself. And it sounds like you have some time to get ready. I'd guess his release would be a perfect time, an opportunity for a fresh start and a fresh set of boundries from all of you who love him. Good Luck.