Life goes on....

Old 05-03-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life goes on....

As many of you know, I am recovering from a recent surgery. So much has been going on during that time.

My daughter was dating/living with an active alcoholic who went through treatment about a month or two ago. He got out and everything was going very well.......until......he started drinking again. She promptly broke up with him. I know it hurt her to do it because she was so supportive and I do think she loved him. But she had set that out as a boundary......he drinks again, they're over. She stuck to it. I'm proud of her for her strength and recognizing that she deserves better.

My son (the alcoholic in my life) is still in recovery and still working his program. Unfortunately, the woman he is living with is not sober. I occasionally find myself slipping into worrying about him and how she could influence him to drink again. But he's doing ok and perhaps I need to change my thinking that HE has the ability to influence HER.

Me. I'm doing well. I still have those overwhelming urges to "help" and have to work daily on allowing my adult children to live their lives the best they are able.

Life is good today.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

"Progress not perfection" your doing an awesome Job KindEyes!

((((Healing thoughts to you)))))
Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

Kindeyes,
Wow....that's great recovery all around. It's nice to hear you're mending and taking good care of yourself regarding all the issues with your kids.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with cmc. Prayers for recovery to all of you.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Backslide.......I talked with my daughter last night. She's back together with abf. She said that getting back together stopped her pain.....for now. Oh my. I can't choose who my children fall in love with.......She asked if he would "be allowed" over to our house or if we preferred never to see him. I told her that I would play it like Switzerland and remain neutral. I hope I can.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

You can! In the long run she will need to find out for herself what is good and not good in her life.....and I think we call this detaching with love. (Very hard) but I have faith that you can do this!

Prayers and strength to you KindEyes
Old 05-04-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Back from the festival and not mention of my leaving last night was brought up. Only once today did I have to restate my boundary of the hard alcohol and that was when I started to buy him a souvenir and he said he'd we could stop on the way home at the pub and he'd wear it inside. I replied, "You will be drinking what?" He said, "Crown and 7". I replied "I'll pass".
Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

" Live & Let Live " yes that is it !
It sounds like you are doing well emotionally and on the mend physically.
yea for you !!