Notices

cocaine is the devil

Old 04-29-2008, 12:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cocaine is the devil

hey just wondering if any coke addicts have felt same way i do right now..i have been 4 months clean and still dont feel "normal" scared to do things still etc. anyone else go through same thing and howd they get through it....im scared to like work and stuff still
Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to our mental health forum.

As I am not a coke addict I don't have any ESH to share with you on that topic. You might try posting in the substance abusers forum as you are more likely to find people recovering from substance abuse there and be able to find an answer to your question.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with the statement above but welcome to the mental health forum!! Hope you are doing ok today.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

You may be suffering from anxiety as a result of cocaine withdrawal.
Here are some of the symptoms:
Cocaine Withdrawal

Cocaine addiction can occur very quickly and be very difficult to break. Animal studies have shown that animals will work very hard (press a bar over 10,000 times) for a single injection of cocaine, choose cocaine over food and water, and take cocaine even when this behavior is punished. Animals must have their access to cocaine limited in order not to take toxic or even lethal doses. People addicted to cocaine behave similarly. They will go to great lengths to get cocaine and continue to take it even when it hurts their school or job performance and their relationships with loved ones.

Regular use of cocaine can lead to strong psychological dependence (addiction). Those who abruptly stop their cocaine use can experience cocaine Withdrawal symptoms as they readjust to functioning without the drug. The length of cocaine Withdrawal varies from person to person and on the amount and frequency of use.

Cocaine withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:

agitation
depression
intense craving for the drug
extreme fatigue
anxiety
angry outbursts
lack of motivation
nausea/vomiting
shaking
irritability
muscle pain
disturbed sleep
It may be a good idea to talk to your doctor and tell him/her the truth about what's been going on. There is help available.

Shalom!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Lightbulb

Yeah! I know the feeling I'm 3-months clean,and I still haven't found the strength, and courage, to go out into the Wild, meaning,

to be a fit Member to society, I got 5 months with out working
and just today I went out to and appointment with my husband
and felt pretty Good about traveling to Manhattan, thats the City of N.Y.
and decided that it was time to go back to work,but then I felt like red warning flags, like some kind of fear, and not confidence, enough. so
I guess that I got to listen to my intuition, or spiritual side, or to my in- stings, what ever you want to call it,that's my way of knowing is not time to go back.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It takes some time but it really does get better.

PAWS- or 'Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome' can last for a about a year. Symptoms may include irritibility, anxiety, lack of focus, insomnia and other things. The longer you stay clean and sober the better it will get. One day at a time!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i agree, coke is the devil. i'm coming down from a week long bender and am in the horrors.
coming here was the only thing i could think of to keep me sane today. had my last shot last night and i'm only just hanging in by a thread.
i see my doctor in a couple of days and i'm gonna tell her everything. i'm lucky in a way because i'm also on buprenorphine treatment so i'm hoping that will hold me.
i know exactly how you feel cause i'm feeling it right now.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum

Welcome to the Mental Health Forum. While going thru the after effects of not using cocaine I can understand how one thinks they are going out of their minds (not to mention cocaine psychosis while using cocaine).

I must disagree with one thing however - cocaine is not the devil

cocaine or any substance, in and of themselves, are not inherently evil or bad. Cocaine is still used today in medical practice with non-addicting or deleterious results. Members of the "caine" family are used in dentistry, surgery and many areas of medical practice without people becoming drooling, babbling idiots chasing the next hit.

Most substances people abuse and become addicted to have legitimate origins and/or purposes. It is not the substance which is bad or evil or, the devil.

When I had surgery last year I was very grateful for the morphine and other opiates. They did not make me run out and go back to what I used to be like. THEY are not evil. Many folks who undergo rhinoplasty (nose job) surgery have (guess what?) cocaine squirted up their noses. Most of them do not end up in the rooms of any 12 Step Fellowship.

Rather than put the blame on a substance or some mystical so-called disease, how about a little personal responsibility and the major part WE played in becoming addicted and dependent and the ruinous effects what WE started had on our lives?

If I get fat from eating too much sugar - the sugar didn't make me fat - the fact that I put that amount of sugar down my throat made me fat. Sugar isn't the devil.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

symantics.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Speaking of semantics, isn't TWEEK another term for meth?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Just thought I would pop in and remind everyone that this is a forum of support, experience, strength, and hope. It is really easy to read more or less into a post than the writer intended. It can be quite hard sometimes to really understand where someone is coming from or what they are going through. Lets try to not get to personal attacks and keep the forum about support and hope. Thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Gemister,
How you doing?
Haven't heard back from you.
Please know, we are here for you. That's what this forum is about. Support.

Tw33k,
I'm glad to see that you're going to talk to your doc.
It's the best decision you could make.
Good luck.
Please let us know how it goes, and how you're doing.

Shalom!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't see any personal attacks. If anyone was referring to my inquiry regarding a point of semantics as to drug related terminology, it was just a request for clarification. I also did not dismiss an entire, valid response with a one word put-down.

Calling a substance with valid medical uses "the devil" negates personal responsibility in the illicit use of said substance. Support and hope is not tantamount to accepting responses antithetic to actual support and hope. Supporting someone does not mean that we accept something they do which is negative just under the guise of not wanting to offend. Support sometimes means that practicing rigorous honesty may help save someone's life. Sometimes a person with dementia needs to be placed in an assisted living facility as support despite their protestations. Or, rather than offend, should we let them just roam the streets?

Just a reminder - censorship does not equal support either. Censorship does not offer hope that people have the freedom to share honestly and openly. Silence = death
Old 05-02-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

This is Gemister's thread.
As such, please keep responses on topic.
Gemister is looking for support for a problem, and our purpose here on SR and particularly here on the Mental Health forum, is to give support to those in need.
It it *not* to go off into tangets for our own self importance.

Let's stay on topic, please.
And keep it civil.

Shalom!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hey guys yea im doing better today had a bad day yesterday but there slowly getting less and less. Butterfly-7 thank you sooo much it just helped me so much knowing that it s normal to be feeling what im feeling, and you WILL start to feel more confident to do things couple weeks ago i was scared to drive with people in my car, now i can easily do that, sleep over at friends houses, and just socialize and not worry with my friends, thank you all
Old 05-04-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Life!

It's great to hear from you, Gemister!

And more importantly, to hear that you're doing so much better!

Keep it up! Your recovery is shinning!

Shalom!