Notices

New to the site and hello.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site and hello.

Greetings;

People have taken to calling me nic in the chatroom, and I am relatively new here. I've had and do continue to have problems and am looking for all the support I can get. I don't want to write War and Peace but can give some background information. My problems began in childhood for me and I am not prepared to discuss those here. Later on in life I joined the military and it probably complicated my issues further. I am a chronic sufferer of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and social anxiety disorder. I have been on xanax for eight years now and an SSRI to combat this. My life returned pretty much to normal for several years. I went back to school and now work as a nurse. I recently thought it would be a good ideal to back off on the xanax and it didn't work out too well. I have learned that I am going to require extensive therapy and the thought of this is rather frightening to me. I see no other alternative if I am to reclaim my life, which is what I would like to do.
I suppose that is about it, I am always open to suggestions and would appreciate any input.

Thank You
Old 04-27-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I have been in therapy for years and it has been one of my saviours, if that helps. Welcome to SR, I'm sure others will be along soon with their ES&H.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi nic!

Welcome to SR!

Have you taken a look around?
YOu might want to go over to the Mental health Forums -
maybe read some of the 'stickies" at the top of the forum there,
and someof the threads as well.
YOu can even post a thread if you feel like it,
saying the same thing introducing yourself and all that.

You might be surprised how many PTSD and CPTSD'ers there are over there!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I hope you find a place of trust and sharing here. As suggested, the aid of medical and psychiatric help is probably essential.

Folks here are here as a result of all manner of demons. Many suffer PTSD and other traumas. In many cases, people find that sharing that in a safe place is very helpful.

This is a safe place for that should you wish to. There is little that I would hesitate to discuss on SR. All is intertwined when it comes to addiction. There are no voyeurs here, just people attempting to become whole and sharing with others doing the same.

Hope to see you here often. SR has been of immense help to me. I have yet to come across anyone who is truly "unique." As you read you will see that.

Again, welcome.

warren
Old 04-27-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hiya nic, welcome to the joint!

good wishes to you nic

rz
Old 04-27-2008, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a safe and loving place! Keep on posting your questions. You'll find a lot of support here.:ghug
Old 04-27-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nic,

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you've made a difficult decision to try to get off the xanax. And, I can imagine that the thought of extensive therapy is scary. It's really hard to look inside and get to the root of the problems that brought us here. But, in my opinion, it's the way to do it. Then we can begin to heal.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Welcome to SR nic.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome to SR Nicky So you finally made it to the forums, I'm glad you're reaching out. As you know, I think therapy should be a mainstay of your recovery, as I believe that undefinitely masking your symptoms with medication is *not* treatment. Some issues need to be dealt with with the help of other people.

:ghug3

Matty
Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Welcome NIC(i bet matt gave you that name) and congratulations on beginning your journey to peace of mind body and soul.

"I have learned that I am going to require extensive therapy and the thought of this is rather frightening to me."

Setting out into the unknown can evoke feelings of apprehension and nervous anticapation, but the result will be great rewards in self awareness and confidence. Bring a camera

We are always here for ya at base camp
Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Nic,

I looked at your profile and saw your sobriety date is one day away from mine - You're 2/3/08 & I'm 2/2/08. So you're coming up on 90 days like me! I'm sure you've done some hard work already to get where you are. So, good job.

I have had a pretty strange life with many things I wouldn't wish on anyone. I was neglected and abused as a child. And I was raped twice as a teenager. Most of my adult life was dominated by severe undiagnosed bipolar disorder which would land me, again and again, in the locked psychiatric ward. I drank seriously since I was 14 which exacerbated my bipolar. I battled suicidality constantly. But now, today, I am stable and sober. Lithium, along with Seroqul and Depakote keep my Bipolar mostly stable. I am no longer suicidal. I can be a good mom and I'm trying every day to be a good wife.

I am telling you all this because I want you to know that there are other people who have severe situations which they've had to go to battle with. And you can come out the other side.

Therapy has been an absolutely vital part of my being able to live a "normal" life. One of the reasons I drank initially was because of my childhood and then it all got reinforced as a teen. I never could have dealt with that stuff on my own without being in therapy. As I was dealing with it, I would sometimes need to be hospitalized just because I could no longer funtion without hurting myself.

I wouldn't say it ever really goes away - I have broken pieces in me that I can't get out. But at least I know what they are and why they're there. Always before, I'd have times when I would be suffering so badly (triggered by something I couldn't even identify) and I didn't even have a name for it.

I know it is painful and difficult. And sometimes it seems impossible. But you can do this. I am certain of that. I'm glad you're here. Keep posting.

I'm sorry if my post is too much information and I should be doing this differently.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hell
o this is my first day sober and boy this hearts and only half the day has gone by friday nite is comeing and boy am i scared the only good thing is i cant get anymore pills
Old 06-13-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Nic

The fear of therepy is nothing like the actual process. Some days you wont want to go some days you will. However you will always be glad that you started treatment.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sct

Hi Nic- good to see you on the forums too.

I also deal with social anxiety, and ptsd (from a variety of sources) and counseling has been amazingly helpful. The best advice I can give is to find a therapist you trust, and to be as honest as you possibly can with them, and don't be afraid to take things slowly, because it can be a really intense process.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Folks, this is a post from April and Photonic is a very active member in the chat rooms here. I'm grateful for his presence in our Sunday afternoon chat meetings, and appreciate the experience he shares.

hendu2008, welcome to SR! Perhaps you'd like to start your own post to introduce yourself? We're always happy to have another new member here.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Thanks for the clarification - I was confused!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

WELCOME!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hendu2008 View Post
hell
o this is my first day sober and boy this hearts and only half the day has gone by friday nite is comeing and boy am i scared the only good thing is i cant get anymore pills
Don't think we didn't notice!

WELCOME
Old 06-13-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hendu2008
good to see you here with us

Welcome to our recovery community.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Nic

Good to see you posting out here. I've enjoyed seeing you in chat. Welcome