Notices

I'm just done

Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm just done

I can't do this anymore. staying sober is obviously to hard for me, I feel beat down and I can't do this on my own! But that is all I have - everyone on this site is so supportive, but at home I have NOTHING! I know my husband is upset by my drinking - but ignoring me and being mad at me is not helpful - I just don't know what to do anymore.
I'm so tired of feeling alone - that I don't even know what to do anymore. A few years ago I told my mom, and friends that I thought I had a drinking problem, and what I got was "oh really?" and that was it. no support, no how can I help. I'm just done.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Are you getting any support at all besides here at SR? Are you religious? Do you go to AA? Do you have insurance?

Don't mean to bombard you with questions but it does sound like you are very much alone and, frankly, I wouldn't be able to do it alone at all. Not even for a day, probably. So hang in there, don't drink right now. That's the most important things right now. Today, don't drink. And then let's find you some help. Because no one should be expected to do it alone. Remember, one of the characteristics of being an alcoholic is that you can't control your craving and then your drinking. That means you need help.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Normal people are so hostile

I know where you're coming from. People don't really want to believe you have a problem, or they think you're exaggerating it. I really don't have any advice, other than to tell you you're not alone, and maybe don't give up so easily. Not that it's easy, I know. But maybe give it a little more time. I am. I have to. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

go to a meeting
Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

With a program of recovery you are not alone. Check out the list of different recovery programs listed at the top of the alcoholism forum. Personally AA has worked for me but there are many other programs out there. Keep us posted. You can get through this. Don't give up until you have tried every means at your disposal to quit drinking that would include utilizing the various recovery programs. Until you have tried them all you are giving up way too soon. This can be done as evidenced by so many here at SR.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Jen, please find some support, from anywhere. We can do this.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jen,

I was in the same situation when I started in recovery. My husband and kids were so tired of it all. They really wanted no part of it anymore. They wanted me to get better but couldn't help me. It's really hard for others to understand how difficult it is to get sober and stay sober. But, you can do this. There is so much support here and it's a lifeline for me.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

JPat

Good advice above. I'm sure you will get more. However, I suggest that you think about who you are doing this for. I'm lucky, I have family support and support from my lover. But it's not why I have nearly 5 weeks.

It is because I am doing it for ME and no one else. I really don't expect anyone else to understand. Thank god they don't. If I fail, it isn't because of what someone else did or failed to do. I have only myself to answer to. Just like I cannot punish anyone else with my relapse, only myself.

Support is great. Get all you can. But, many folks here are doing it totally alone.

Best to you!

warrens
Old 03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Meetings are great place to find f2f support and others like you.
Dont give up that easy.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with you warrens. If you do get support that is great, but the bottom line is it is all about YOU.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

You don't know what to do anymore? Keeping plugging along the same sober path and you will go far. Extend yourself into other sober avenues. It takes times to reap the benefits. You and your family will see. It is really hard for people who don't have a drinking problem to understand the magnitude and the difficulty of quitting. Often times I think they will never understand, but that is okay because I know and that is all that really matters.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I found much understanding and support
and solid recovery by using AA.

Recovery requires change and action.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Yeah, hit some meetings.

Everyone there understands & is willing to help/talk. Gotta get some Experience, Strength & Hope.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I don't think anyone really does it totally on their own. I think God is part of that picture, everytime.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you have no support at home J Pat...I know quite a few people here who are doing just fine, even without that - I won't pretend it's not harder, but it's possible.

And we're always here

good luck
D
Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is impossible for me to do this alone. When left to my own resources I tend to screw things up.

AA is a good sober support network that I use and there are others out there that I have heard of. It is not an instant process and it helps to go through recovery with other people, especially people with 5 years, 10 years or longer under their belts who have been there before.

And they will all tell you that there is no problem that a drink can't make worse.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I understand very much how you feel JPat.You don't have to do this on your own though-SR has been a lifeline for me in that way.I am not an A.Aer-but I've gone to a few meetings just to be around other people in offline life, who understand what it's like.I find just listening to others experiences helps me realise I'm not alone-and it may help you too.

As others have said-people who don't have a problem with alcohol don't really understand how hard it can be for us.Ultimately though, it comes down to focusing on you and how much you want this for yourself.If I focused on what I percieved as a lack of support from family/friends-then I'd probably just go oh to heck with it.But it's not about them-it really is about me and the life I want for myself-not drinking.

Believe me, you are stronger than you know-and we're here for you.

Julesxox
Old 03-18-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I, too, have no support at home. My husband is filled with mainly anger and distrust. I have 4 kids at home and need to be there for them. I was complaining to my sponsor about the lack of support from my husband and she said, "If your sobriety relies on your husband supporting your recovery, what happens one day when you guys have a fight? You've got to get sober because you want to get sober, not because your husband is cheering you on." I thought that was well put and worth throwing into the mix here.

JPat, you can do this.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For anyone interested in what AA is about

Big Book On Line

The chapter...There is a solution
is true for me and millions of others.

Keep trying...you too can recover
Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)