? regarding AH symptoms

Old 03-03-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

? regarding AH symptoms

So I've been reading a lot of posts about people coming off their addictions.. Some say taking other medications while going through detox is good and others bad. Currently he's taking 60 mg of Cymbalta which is a medication for anxiety/depression. The doctor started him on it to help with pain management after his back surgery in July of last year. I know you're not supposed to quit those cold turkey, and I would like him to eventually stop taking them.. But are they hurting more than they're helping?

Another thing.. He seems to be doing great, other than being tired. I'm worrying that he looks like that because he's still taking something. I'm really hoping it's just paranoia. I want so bad to believe that he actually IS doing good. I'm feeling really helpless, and really mad at myself for letting my paranoia get the best of me. Heck! I can't even tell you how many days he's been clean, because I don't really know
Old 03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Jenn,

Some people have to be on antidepressants for a very long time. It depends on if there is a chemical imbalance or not. Only he and his doctor will know for sure. You're right about one thing: it's fairly dangerous to go off those cold turkey.

While he is working on HIS recovery, perhaps you could work on yours. Many of us here have found help by reading a book called Co Dependent No More by Melodie Beatty. It helps to understand that we really can't control someone else's sobriety OR addiction, but we can learn to take care of ourselves.

Al Anon meetings are also a good thing to try. I go to one meeting a week... others here go to 2 or 3 meetings.Those meetings are for US, not our addicts/alcholics. They are for US where we learn to keep the focus on ourselves and not the other person.

His success or failure at recovery are HIS and his alone. There really isn't anything you can do about it.... just like his addiction. You didn't cause it, you can't control it and you can't cure it.

Maybe you can spend some time and read the stickies at the top of the forum. You'll see that many of us have had experiences similar to yours.

Others will be by soon to share their experience, strength and hope.