Up for discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Up for discussion

Good morning all,
Every morning I read a couple of my recovery books, one of them, is "Each Day a New Beginning" by Karen Casey. I love the book, makes me think but today I'm kind of stuck and need some insight, and it's a nice topic to talk about anyway...

Todays reading:

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads" Erica Jong

There was a time when we didn't believe we had many talents. We couldn't imagine we had any purpose or any gift to give to the world. But it's true: We all have talents, many of them. If we each haven't discovered ours, we soon will. With time and the steps and friends, we will be encouraged to recognize them, to celebrate them, to cultivate them, to dare to give them away.
Utilizing our talents fully, which is part of life's bigger plan, may lead us to new jobs, new friends, to places presently unknown. The prospect of new horizons may excite us. It may also elicit dread. We can trust that, just as we are given no problems too big to handle, we are given no talents too great to develop. The strength to move ahead will always be available if we have faith. And the program offers us faith.

"I will look for my talents today. I will also look for talents in my friends. I can celebrate them, and soon the way to use them will become clear."

Okay....I sat and thought about this. I haven't any talents. Also I discussed this with Mr. Moose, he said well sure you do, you can sew, stitch, all that kind of stuff. I replied "well heck honey, you can teach a dog to roll over" My talents are learned talents, I haven't any natural ability.....is this what she means? Is there something deeper I'm missing?

Sure would love some input...

Love ya all...
Old 03-02-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Moose, You do too have talent. You have a wonderful talent of being able to communticate your thoughts and feelings and still keep a bit of humour at the same time. I feel from reading your words that I know you. I feel that you are a warm-hearted, down to earth person that would be easy to know. That is a gift. My mother did not have talents that society deemed worthy, but she had the abilility to make people feel comfortable and welcome around her. A great gift which I believe that you have too. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, (((moose)), I think you have a natural talent to be a wonderful friend!

I will have to think about this, too. I've always been a "crafty" person...cross-stitch, needlepoint, etc., but like you said, this is something I've learned.

I do think we have "talents" that maybe we don't consider that way....like putting people at ease when they are around you (never meeting a stranger), like being a good friend...things like that.

But as far as getting a better job from that, I don't know.

Okay, now you've got me thinking

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-02-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good morning Diane, I read this and thought this is something that has been "on simmer" with me for awhile. I feel as if although I am more than busy and have a pretty responsible job and am active with a lot of groups, and can do some things well enough to get by, that I don't really have talent. I always wished I had the ability to express myself through art, to put words together in a lyrical way or to really play an instrument well. Lately I have had this feeling that something very different is going to come my way and that my role right now is to be the best person I can be and to be open to that possibility. It's not something I can really articulate...just this feeling.

As I read your comments I thought, of course you have talents...I see so many of your talents in everything you bring here. You have this ability to heal with your insight and compassionate nature...you have a natural way of drawing people to you, bringing out the best in them. You simply project a love for life and a humility and compassion that is rare and precious.

I don't think there is anything wrong with learned talents and heck if you do sewing and crafts and the like well, that IS also a talent. I think your post has helped me realize that we sometimes sell ourselves short...talent isn't just about artistic expression, as I tend to look at it. I guess the "talent" I am trying to develop is to let go of ego and control and judgement and be the best Greet I can be. And as I get there and carry it forward, maybe my talent will be in being able to work a 12th step effectively. You have that talent Diane and you are someone I look to and want to get to that place too. Hugs
Old 03-02-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Isn't it funny...we all posted around the same time and thought very similar thoughts...See Moosey...you sure are one heck of a woman!!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I agree with all of the above.

And if it makes you feel any better Moosie...I CAN'T do the things you call learned talents!

And believe me, I've tried!

(((Hugs)))
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok I like words (a talent?) and talent got me started. But I think this meant gifts not talent (like American Idol talent).
We all have talents mine is not really cutting and pasting, that's for sure. It took me forever to try and do it.
But if you look at gifts it clears up the reading a bit, at least for me it did.
Sorry to sound like a teacher, with the newest vocabulary list......
But I do think this did have a deeper meaning of talent

tal·ent credit Miriam Webster

2: archaic a characteristic feature, aptitude, or disposition of a person l
3: the natural endowments of a person
4 a: a special often creative or artistic aptitude b: general intelligence or mental power : ability
5: a person of talent or a group of persons of talent in a field or activity
synonyms see gift

ˈgift

1 : a notable capacity, talent, or endowment
2 : something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation
3 : the act, right, or power of giving

synonyms gift, faculty, aptitude, bent, talent, genius, knack mean a special ability for doing something.

gift often implies special favor by God or nature <the gift of singing beautifully>.

faculty applies to an innate or less often acquired ability for a particular accomplishment or function <a faculty for remembering names>.

aptitude implies a natural liking for some activity and the likelihood of success in it <a mechanical aptitude>.

bent is nearly equal to aptitude but it stresses inclination perhaps more than specific ability <a family with an artistic bent>.

talent suggests a marked natural ability that needs to be developed <has enough talent to succeed>.

genius suggests impressive inborn creative ability <has no great genius for poetry>.

knack implies a comparatively minor but special ability making for ease and dexterity in performance <the knack of getting along>.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mooselips! Anyone who can find your quote, has talent!

Seriously, I know exactly how you feel, and I discuss this topic often with my best friend - neither one of us feel we have natural talent, or at least we think we haven't found it yet and are wondering when we will (we're over 40!). But, I have to tell you, just because you learned to stitch and sew and all those types of things, doesn't mean you don't have talent. People have been trying to teach me for years, and somehow I still can't sew a straight (or even semi-straight) line on a machine, I have no tension control with crocheting and knitting, etc. So, to me - being able and comfortable with all sorts of crafts and practical domestic stuff is a talent and much to be admired! Plus, I agree with above, you being you is the best talent of all and sharing yourself with us is such a gift!

I'll keep thinking about this, it is a good topic for the day! Thanks!

"When you follow your bliss... doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors, and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else."
Joseph Campbell
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi Mooselips!

of course you have talents..but its that nagging low self esteem that makes us underestimate ourselves time and time again.
What ive learned is that sure, i wish i had some talents that others have and i will never have...i love figure skating and wish i could just stand up on skates! lol
but i can appreciate the beauty of someone elses talent.
and also, with recovery..ive come to appreciate the gifts i do have...
and i sense you have them as well.
(as do most of us Codies!).
we are kind, we have compassion..we are loving, we are giving..yes maybe to a fault, but im learning to discern those gifts, how i use them ,and who i give them to.
i love animals, nature, and life, and beauty...jokes and laughter

i care......

these are gifts Mooselips..
our integrity, our character..
and if i had to choose being an olympic figure skater or just being who i am...
i would still rather be me and have these qualities.
Look at those things in yourself..
they are the qualities that stand the test of time and really, in the finally analysis , make all the difference in the person you are and LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED .
These are the traits i am happy to say are what makes me Me! :-)
Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe you have a talent for writing, particularly humourous writing. Sign up for a writing course. I highly recommend Gotham Writers Workshop - take an online course with them - cost is about $400. I have taken 2 so far and they are of very high quality.
No, no, don't think. Just do it!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Okay, I'm not fishing for compliments here.
I'm trying to find out exactly what she means by "we all have talents"

It's a subject of perspective I think....

Hugs,
Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it means that we all have something that makes us special. Whatever that means Hugs, Marle
Old 03-02-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads" Erica Jong
I think she means we each have something special that is uniquely about us. Do we want to look deep within? Or have we become so used to admiring everyone else's talents that we are afraid to go to that dark place which is our soul and see what is there?

Or maybe it's a dream, a secret dream of something we've always wanted to do, but we're afraid of people laughing at our dream, or of failing, or maybe of it coming true because that takes us to uncharted waters.

I think it's about getting out of our fears and letting our light shine and not caring what anyone thinks. It's about becoming "us".

Or, not...I'm never sure if the author means what I read into it, but it sounds good to me, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hugs

P.S. You most certainly DO have talent...don't forget I've seen your handiwork, I watched your instinct and connection with nature and I've listened to your hilarious stories...you are chuck full of talent.

And forgive me if this just cracks me up

I replied "well heck honey, you can teach a dog to roll over"
Old 03-02-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great topic. I really love it.

I always thought...if I could have just one outward talent...it would be to sing. I'm an American Idol fan and I just admire someone who can make you cry when they sing. Such a gift !!

But...since I can't sing...and I really, really, really CAN"T sing...
I know that my HP has given all of us a unique batch of talents and its OUR responsiblity to recognize and cultivate them. Society tends to hold up the more obvious ones...like singing...or acting...but there are so many unseen hidden talents.

Moose, you always make me smile...I know you're not fishing for compliments but you have such an uplifting, encouraging spirit here at SR. You really do.

I know I"m tenacious. Very tenacious. The key, for me, is learning where to direct my energy. For a long time, I directed it in the wrong direction...I directed it at fixing my exah and other people in my life... And now, in recovery, I'm trying to learn how to harness it for myself. Its a daily battle.

but I'm thankful for my tenacious spirit because its served me well many times in my life.

Being tecacious and kind and compassionate and loving are all talents... we all have them...the key is to recognize them and polish them off so that the world can see them shine.

Great post Mooselips..
And, by the way, I have to tell you that I was driving behind a car with a license plate that said "MrMoose" and I instantly thought of you and the Mr.
I hope your having fun in the sun.
It got up to 35 degrees here today and it felt like a HEATWAVE !!!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

We all have God given talents and some of us have skills we have learned along life's pathways. A talent is a natural.

Just in what I see from your posts, these are some of your talents I see.

Mooselips... Just to come up with such a name says you are creative and have a wonderful sense of humor built into you.
You are a lady of great compassion towards others.
You have an ability to love deeply.
You are a natural friend to others.

I am not giving you complements... I am listing out the things I see that make you who you are.

I fought within myself for a few years trying to find my talents. I could not see a tangible so I couldn't see what my talents may be.
What I found out through the help of others... Just my being me and showing up is a tangible because we all touch each other's lives. I can sit at home or I can show up and just be myself. God made me the way He did for a reason so just being myself, I am using the talents He gave me to the best of my ability. Our talents are who we are, not so much what we can do.
Do you have any idea how many people may of gotten a chuckle just by seeing the screen name...Mooselips?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outonalimb View Post

But...since I can't sing...and I really, really, really CAN"T sing...
*LOL*

I had the retired pastor tell me one day... Ya know... singing loud does not make you a better Christian *LOL*

I also like the verse in a song...May it be a sweet sweet sound in Your ears (as I think that no one else likes it, I hope at least you do Lord)
Old 03-02-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ya know... singing loud does not make you a better Christian *LOL*
Old 03-02-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

*whispers* I am starting to find out that all women have a natural talent for always being right... but don't tell my wife I said that just yet. *LOL*
Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Another message to remind us of the great qualities we possess.
Many of us took a front seat to someone else's addiction and a backseat when it came to being ourselves.

My talent is just accepting and being myself. Whatever that means for today.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Originally Posted by best View Post
I am starting to find out that all women have a natural talent for always being right...
I'm surprised Mr. Moose didn't suggest that this a.m.
(And if I may add...us girls get "righter" as YOU guys get a little older...Mr. Moose has a GPS, and still gets lost in a grocery store, he couldn't find his way out of a paper bag....(by the way..he is aware of this)

I think I have acquired a natural talent for taking things as they come,
(there has to be a word for that...)

Seriously, I think we all have just that ONE thing that makes us shine....
I'm still giving this some thought, as you can see

Hugs....