New here, would like to intro myself.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, would like to intro myself.

Hi all, I have been browsing this forum for the past week and finally decided to register. You all seem so supportive and I would like to join your group.
To give a brief intro, My DH is in a 28 day program for substance abuse on Vicodin. (5 yrs ago, did alcohol detox) I took him there last week and the first day he was gone, I woke up with such a sense of relief that I know he is in a safe place and somebody else can worry about him being mentally strong. I know it is still my problem , but for now, I am enjoying his time away. His detox was minimal since his Dr. weaned him off his strong prescription a few months ago and recently, he has only been taking a few here and there (but still hiding it from me) so hopefully he can learn some coping skills to deal with life in general without self-medicating.
We have 3 kids , and have been married for over 15 years . We don't fight and he is a wonderful dad , his entire reason for getting clean is for his kids right now since I told him I am not sure where our relationship is going when he is out of rehab. I look forward to meeting many of you and being a supportive member of this forum.
Oh, and I forgot to add , he finally lost his job of 15 years last week also due to his addiction. Hopefully that is his "bottom".
Old 03-01-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds a lot like my situation! I hope your hubby does real well. I'm trying to keep optimistic that my husband will be successful in the outpatient and not have to be kept there! How strong of you to wake up and feel relieved!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to the site. I wish your husband well. Addiction is really more than just self-medication (although that definitely serves as a great excuse to use.) . It is a nasty compulsion to use drugs NO MATTER WHAT it does to our family, our lives, our jobs etc. It certainly can be done but it takes a lifetime commitment. The compulsion to use doesn't just go away after rehab but rehab is a great starting over point. Good luck to him and to you.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI SJ - Glad you decided to jump in...I was a "lurker" too for a month or so before registering, and learned so much reading here. There are many spouses here whose partners are in active addiction or struggling with recovery. My addict was my child, so I have not had the same experience you have, but I sure do understand the pain of loving an addict.
One thing I did learn when my daughter went to rehab was to take that time to really really focus on me and my own recovery. That's when I really started going to Alanon and Naranon meetings, reading about addiction and codependency and working a program for my own recovery. Just like the addicts get the tools they need to keep working on living a clean and sober life when they attend rehab, I found the things I did gave me tools to stay focused on me rather than obsessing about whether my child stayed clean. It's not a magic fix for me either...I have to keep working on me to stay healthy. But now, I really enjoy that...I love the benefits of coming here and going to meetings...the support, the friendship and the amazing growth I have experienced over the past 2 years. Hugs
Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Sierra-Jess,
I just want to welcome you, and say I'm glad you joined us!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Welcome! I think you're gonna love it here.
I am sorry you have to go through all the mess addiction brings.
Hopefully you will find comfort and help while visiting SoberRecovery.
I know I do.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You've found a great place! Many voices with lots of wisdom, kindness and support!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Sierra-Jess. Your story is similar to mine. I'll keep you in my prayers and hope your husband does well with his recovery.