I need help

Old 02-29-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

Today my AD walked out of treament after less than 48 hrs. She said they weren't detoxing her correctly, she was dope sick and she wasn't staying. She also said the nurse told her roomate she has AIDS and her roomate is harrassing her. The place swears she told all the residents she was HIV positive in an "AIDS Awareness" seminar they had just yesterday. They put her on a bus. I have no idea if she has her things, including her HIV meds or her antibiotic.

I told her, after trying my best to get her to stay, that I would no longer take her to the HIV clinic, and would not help her get into treatment again at this time.

I told her boyfriend I may consider helping her get treatment in a few months, but not any time in the near future because I am exhasted. I told him he needs to help her, or she needs to help herself. He needs to get her to the HIV clinic (she has an appt in 3 weeks) or she needs to get herself there. he needs to help her get on medicaid, or she needs to get herself on medicaid, because i am done. He still believes her that its a bad rehab. He beilives her when she says she will get into another one right away. I breifly explained what is/was involved in getting her into this one, and asked him how he was planning on accomplishing that while still working all day long.

Her boyfriend, though not an addict, is a naive idiot.
My daughter is choosing certain death because she knows if she doesn't stop using she will die of AIDS, and soon.

I took a three hour nap to escape. Now upon awakening, I am angry at her and her boyfreind and that is a wonderful thing, because it keeps me from feeling to total and complete despair and grief over her imminent death that I felt before I took the nap.

Here's to anger!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Sleepy, I'm so sorry......I don't know what to say...oh my...what a rollercoast ride....your strength to hold amazes me considering how exhausted you must be...prayers are on the way.....
Old 02-29-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

((sleepygoat))
Sorry to hear your daughter didn't stay.
I guess she just wasn't ready, which doesn't make it any easier for you.
It's okay to be angry. I was there, too, when my oldest left his rehab.

Hugs, and take care of you.
Have you been attending any meetings, Sleepy?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Accept for today, that you are powerless over this disease. Just for today turn this over to your daughter and her HP.
What a let-down for you, so sorry.
Let it be, sit with this, and decide in a few days what if any action you might take.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just sending lots of hugs and many many prayers for both of you. You can't make her stay or get treatment and it has got to be so hard to watch her self destruct. The only way I can get through really dark times is to truly turn it over to God. It isn't easy, but it does help. I'm so sorry and I hope that she will come to her senses soon.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sending hugs and prayers. I am so sorry that she is not ready, but all the worry in the world will only do one thing and that is to make you sick. Find a way to detach as hard as it is because you have done everything that you can. Time to let go and take care of Sleepygoat for a change. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Sleepy,

I'm sorry.

I hope you'll take extra good care of you in the coming days. You know you are powerless over her, but you're not powerless over yourself. So I pray you can choose to focus on you and give your daughter over to her HP. I imagine he's just waiting for her to get to her bottom. I pray folks will stay out of the way and let her.

Hugs and prayers for both of you,
Hangin' In
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I know you've been exhausted. You have so much to deal with.
But, you've taken a step in taking care of yourself. Those power naps can really lift us up! Get as much rest as you can. You deserve it.
Hugs to you.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Mega Hugs and Prayers coming your way
(+) (+) (+)
Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trying to get out of God's way

Sleepy - sending prayers for you and your daughter, I know how disappointing it is when they leave rehab ((((hugs))))
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Sleepy, my heart goes out to you.

I am praying for you and your daughter.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Sending lots and lots of hugs!!!!!

Looks and sounds like you have finally decided to get off the roller coaster ride, and sop doing the dance! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

If anger is what you need for right now then use it as an asset.

I know this is terrible. And it's devastating that she has HIV (as I understand from her own actions) and now it is her responsibility to take her medications, to keep them with her at all times.

It is hard to watch one of our children go downhill and not jump in to 'FIX IT' but if we try to 'fix it' we only make it worse.

I spent years with my youngest, fighting to get him all sorts of treatment, from about 7 years old on. Nothing worked. He is a Sociopath. Within 2 weeks of his 18th birthday, he had picked his victim and shot him to death. He had been planning it for several years. He got LIFE w/o Parole, and that was 1978.

Sleepy, we do the best we can, then when the child becomes an adult, the responsibility for their life becomes theirs.

I
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I keep flip-flopping between wanting to get high myself and say "**** it", and between quitting smoking again, exercising, taking care of myself....

I'm going to put the words "I'm sorry" in quotes, on her tombstone, because that's what she always says and then expects a free pass from everyone.

I greatly appreciate the prayers, you guys, BTW.

I am at work tonight, good to be busy on something else, but I really don't care about these brain damaged children I take care of here, right now. That's the truth. They get such great care for every little tiny nick and cut, for every little cold and cough - and they don't even know their own names, most of them, and never will. Yet the addicts have less and less options for treatment and the treatment they do have in this country allows them to walk out whenever they want. Yet we all know they have zero ability to make sane decisions, especially when detoxing. all the other countries in the world, pretty much, have LOCKED detox and rehab. that makes sense. Or else, we just put them in prison, although everyone gives lip service to the "disease" thing, our legal system locks them up for posession, etc. Yet my kids I care for here get everything, even though they have no potential for a normal life, ever.

Think its time to change my line of work? LOL.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Addicts do have a choice, they have the choice to stop using. Addiction in its most simplified (dumbed down) definition is a simple yes or no answer. Take it from a former heroin addict.

When i was actively using I used the "addiction is a disease" cop-out multiple times to justify to my parents that I could relapse and not get in trouble with them about it. It was a complete lie // manipulation on my part.

" but I really don't care about these brain damaged children I take care of here"
Thats real nice.....
Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

sorry you don't like the way I feel, ex-D, but that your problem, not mine.

Addiction is a disease. If it was a matter of 'just say no', we wouldn't need treatment, or this website.

I had a choice, after I stopped using, not duriing, and I needed a lot of help to stop and still need help and treatment (in the form of meetings). It's a serious disease with a very poor recovery rate. Blaiming the addicts just doesn't cut it. I blain the disease more than the addict. Do you have any children???? Are any of them addicts??? How does that feel?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

i am an addict myself, multiple years of IV heroin use, luckily i was able to escape it without any serious disease or collapsed veins or any of that. addiction IS a choice, i CHOOSE to pick up the needle and use it, i then CHOOSE to stop doing it, and make that choice EVERYDAY. A disease is something that one has no control over and cannot ever stop (i.e AIDS or CANCER) Addiction can be stopped by the user very easily, they just have to CHOOSE to do it.

You pitying addicts for the things they do is another form of enabling, just thought id let you in on that. and no i do not have any children but being an addict myself i think i would know??

edit** part of recovery for an addict is they need to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THERE ACTIONS IN ACTIVE ADDICTION and not blame x, y , z for why they did what they did.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm an addict too and my experience was/is different from your experience. If you continue to harrass me I will block you.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

If you feel I am harassing you I am sorry, that was not my intention at all. Just trying to offer up a different viewpoint on the current situation you find yourself in, some people on here actually thank me once they hear some of the things that I have to say, because they "never thought about it like that".

Still....I wish the best for you and for your daughter.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((Sleepy)))

I'm so sorry she didn't stay, and I can't imagine how hard this is for you.

I do hope you can focus on you now. As I told another friend here, even supermom's can't fix everything.

Another thing...you mentioned the thought of getting high. I found out (in hindsight) that me getting really codie over a situation I couldn't control was the beginning of my relapse. Obviously, there was a bit more to it (I wasn't working at recovery, just staying clean), but I believe it's a dangerous place for any recovering addict to be. You may be like me, and just mention it or think about it when stressed out, but immediately realize why it's NOT an option, but I care about you so have to mention it.

Sending you and your daughter many hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sleepy, Do you feel a lot of guilt that your child is an addict because of your addiction. That guilt can keep you stuck way longer than what you need to be. Recently I got into the mindset that I may never see my daughter and so I might as well give up on life and just go back to my eating disorder which I have been in recovery from for 10 years. Might as well starve my body until it just gives up. But there was a part of me that rejected that idea because I am every bit as important as my daughter. So instead of giving up on life, I decided to give up smoking and add more exercise into my daily life. Boy it is so hard to not smoke. Daily cravings. And it is so hard to add that extra 30 minutes on an exercise bike. I just want to sit on my arse when I get home from work. I am not an addict to drugs and never have been. But I am an addict to cigarettes and to food. And I do see it as a choice. I did not see it as such before, but now I realize that everyday I have a choice. And I do believe that everyday my daughter has a choice. She has always chosen the easier path and still continues to do that. It is a choice to live a healthy life or one that will eventually kill her. Not easy to quit but it can be done. You are proof of that. Guilt for your daughter's illness will only keep you enmeshed in her problems. I know because I have been there done that. My daughter is an only child too so I know the added hurt of that. Step away from her and let her figure it out. You really have no control(and that is perhaps the hardest thing for us moms to grasp). I say all this with love because I know it hurts like hell. Hugs, Marle