Crack Addict possibly getting sober?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Crack Addict possibly getting sober?

I'm quite familar with alcohol addictions and a few other things, but know VERY little about crack other than everyone seems to tell me it's the worst.

Anyone know any good resource links for learning about this drug?

If an addict is truely serious about getting sober is it possible to tell they are serious about it?

What might be a typical length of time that a crack addict can stay away from it if they are only mildly interested in getting away from it? A week? Month? Year?

Can a crack addict EVER be trusted? Even if they get sober and are able to stay so for a year....does anyone know the percentages on relapse possiblities?

I'm an information junkie.....so any good links/references anyone can give me will be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
:ghug
Jenna
Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
Anyone know any good resource links for learning about this drug?

If an addict is truely serious about getting sober is it possible to tell they are serious about it?

What might be a typical length of time that a crack addict can stay away from it if they are only mildly interested in getting away from it? A week? Month? Year?

Can a crack addict EVER be trusted? Even if they get sober and are able to stay so for a year....does anyone know the percentages on relapse possiblities?
Crack addiction is one of the hardest to kick and recovery for a crack addict often means long term rehab followed by a closely followed program of sobriety, NA, CA are often helpful. The Salvation Army program is free, so cost should not be a factor in their decision to get clean.

If they are only mildly interested in getting away from it, my guess is that they are hoping to get away "with" it. I've yet to meet a "casual" crack user, it just doesn't work that way.

Their actions are the only indication that I would believe, if they say they plan to get clean. "Don't tell me, show me."

Relapse possibilities? Fairly high. Yet if the person is willing to do what they need to do to get off crack and stay off, their odds improve significantly. Lots of people beat this addiction, some don't.

You can read lots of information by Googling "Cocaine Addiction", just be careful because Narconon has many sites that "guarantee" a cure and it just isn't so. Narconon is a program sponsored by the Church of Scientology and their reputation is questionable at best. I would tend to ignore any sites connected with them.

Hope this helps, crack addiction is ugly no matter how you paint it.

Hugs
Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

My bipolar son is back in rehab as he started up on crack again, he only ever quits drinking for short bursts and abuses his meds on a regular basis, we had a long stretch when he didn't touch crack, now he will be in rehab for up to 12 more months and after that a sheltered accomodation with daily supervision. He has brin damage from his abuses. He says he can go without the crack and that it's alcohol which tempts him most...he usually says that when he's hospitalized though. I have not given up hope thoughand I never will. How are you doing Shutter?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Jenna)))

I'm a recovering crack addict. I had over a year clean, but wasn't working at recovery. I relapsed for a little over a week, and finally realized that I don't want to do that anymore (hit botttom again, really hard). In 12 days, I will have a year clean, but have been working at my recovery so it is totally different. That is part of why I post here on the F&F..I was a huge codie and trying to fix everyone else only left me frustrated, and that led me to crack.

I didn't do treatment or rehab, but initially was locked up for almost 6 months, and that gave me enough clean time to realize how much I'd screwed up my life.

I, too, have never met an "occasional" crack smoker....I tried, and before long, I was smoking it more and more often. My XABF told me it was the most progressively addictive drug there is. He's been in prison before, 1 year treatment, and he is still smoking...thus the "X". I hate crack and the type of person I became when I was on it. I can't, to this day, believe that I thought the life I was living was acceptable.

I have gained back the trust of people who know me, but it is totally because of my actions...nothing I said. I work, pay bills, spend a lot of time on SR and with other people who are supportive of me, and I stay away from anyone doing crack. I feel strong in my recovery, but I know that if I am having a bad day, I have to be even more careful and work harder on my recovery, because the voices of my addiction will try to lure me back.

You're more than welcome to pm me if you have any questions.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
You can read lots of information by Googling "Cocaine Addiction", just be careful because Narconon has many sites that "guarantee" a cure and it just isn't so. Narconon is a program sponsored by the Church of Scientology and their reputation is questionable at best. I would tend to ignore any sites connected with them

Hugs
I did not know that but thanks for the info. I contacted them a few weeks ago because I saw an ad in my local paper and I was deperate for any kind of infornation on treatment that I could get my AH started in.. Those people have emailed me and called me non stop for the past three weeks. I don't knock anyone's belief's but I don't want my husband getting mixed up with scientology, he has enough problems already.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had exposure to Narconon. Back in November, my AD was in 3 rehabs in 11 days. Narconon was the first. She detoxed at Narconon while wearing a Catapres patch, applied by an ER. She found the sauna and endless showers comforting and the experience positive.

I was not aware that it relied upon some Scientology principals when I made arrangements and I subsequently transferred her to Hazelden who subsequently determined AD's dual diagnosis was more than they were willing to handle and so AD found herself in rehab #3, in California. <sigh>

Putting aside the Scientology aspect for a moment, the overwhelming majority of bad internet press that Narconon receives is from parents who expect a cure for addiction. If only.......

The cost for the open -ended Narconon Program is about $27K and the majority of addicts stay 4-6 months making this one of the most affordable programs, out there. It works for some and others, not. Some addicts choose to become Scientologists and some do not. Those that do, probably have a better track record, no different than those who continue to work the 12 Step Program.

At the end of the day, the consequences of Scientology are substantially better than the outcomes of addiction. What matter most, I think, is what works for the addict. Most addicts need something bigger than the addiction to beat it and for some, Narconon is it.

I am not a Scientologist. I am just a mom who wants the best shot at recovery for her AD.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

shutter, go to crack reality.com for hard core truth
Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am with the rest. I too am in recovery from that evil crap.
All the talk in the worls dont mean squat. Actions are the only truth. Most of us have the best of intentions and really try and do take those steps to recovery. Alot of times addicts out of nowhere get weak and end up right back to the same routine. Not trying to be negative. It's just reality. Doesnt mean it was done on purpose. Addiction is like someone else is pulling your strings . All we can do is keep trying. You will know in your heart when it is a more stable path.
Good luck
Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

InfoFacts - Crack and Cocaine Here is a fact sheet or just google it.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I kicked it. Yes it's hard. You have to be 100% committed and focused on getting off the stuff and staying off the stuff. Relapse is always a frightening possibility. The stuff leave a permanent mark on your brain. Nothing friends and family say will make you stop. Your motivation has to come from within and that's makes it impossible for anyone else to predict whether you are truly done or just saying you are done to appease people. And some people never quit.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Jenna

I don't have any experience or knowledge about crack addiction/recovery so I can't speak on that. Luckily you've already got some great responses.

I wanted to respond to this.
Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
As an addict and daughter of an addict, the answer is no. Short of a lie detector test.......

Hell, I quit drinking lots of times. I meant it every time. Until the next drink. I even said I would quit just to make someone else happy.

So sometimes I seriously meant it (but wasn't serious) and sometimes I was full of BS. I don't think you would have known the difference. I was a pretty good liar. I think many addicts are.

I'm curious, why are you interested in crack addiction and recovery?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My question to you can you tell when that person is lying to you? Are there patterns that you see when the addict is high?

My XAH doc is or was Meth smoking it. Every time he cleaned up he was great talked to him all the time, could call and him answer his phone, or if I needed anything when he was clean I would have. When he was using he never answered phone call, texts, or would just kind of drop off the face of the earth.

He is now in rehab a controlled rehab, I can see a difference but he still has some things he needs to change before i would believe he is clean.

But it is the actions not the words that work for me. He can tell me anything and my first thought is he is lying prove it to me. If you prove it to me and I am wrong then I will say sorry but until that trust is there by showing me you are willing to change yourself.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((jenna))))

You may or may not know I have 4 crack addicts in my life. I love them all to pieces. It scares me, I hate it, the worst mistakes of my life have been due to trying to help them.

I hope you will give this person lots of space and that you will keep the focus on what you are doing.

If some one is doing crack often enough that you some how find out about their use and/or has admitted to you that they do crack because you have questioned their behavior then you can be sure and, I do mean absolutely certain that you are going to get pulled down if you do not get away from them.

I wish,hope, pray, and ask you to get as far away as you can as fast as you can from this person. I do believe I have read on another post of yours that this guy has stolen your car and God only knows what else I am sure that he has done some lying.

I love you girl and I know you do not need this stuff...
Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by cinderellawkids View Post
shutter, go to crack reality.com for hard core truth
Oh my goodness. I just read the thoughts and observations section at that sight and I am so ashamed. That person explained everything exactly. I thought I was reading about myself. Amazing. It is so different seeing it in that perspective. I am just disgusted with what I have done. Humiliated. I dont ever want to be that person again.
I highly recommend a read.
Thx Cinderellawkids.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My husband picked up the crack pipe 5years ago, I bet if he has seen 1 week clean in that time....if he couldn't get crack something else would fill it's spot. Even his days in jail....some how who know how, he was getting something. He had great intentions and I truly beleive he beleived in his intentions, but that drug is so powerful it takes over everything. So there is one case of it.

My nephew another crack user. goes on these binges and then layes in bed for a few days determined to not pick up again, gets going to his meetings and stays clean for 3 to 4 months and then back at it again. This last time he was 10 months clean, landed a great job....the signs where there as to what was coming up....his moods, outbursts, isolation, then he was back at it again. That was in December and since he is still binging and has lost his job.

One thing that I have learned is even before they pick up the pipe again, with the mood swings and starting to isolate, that is already a relaspse.

We had my husband in a treatment center and he called one night saying that they were thinking on removing him, WHY,WHY I was asking, he said well they say that I am isolating, staying by myself to much, so I said what is wrong with that, he said he really was not sure, but they said he is not particating in the program. He had 4 days to go and they where going to remove him. I was so mad at that center, he just needed some alone time. He got back into the swing of things and 4 days later he got his 30 days clean. He had it all arranged for us to drop off his car, because he was not sure of what time of day he was going to get out and he would just leave and meet up with us and get his things in order. His sister drove his car to the treatment center and left it there for him when he got out. He was late getting into town, I called his sister and she said well he just left but is really overwhelmed. My red flags where up! Then he did get to town and set up his trailor, he would not talk to me one on one, making out that he was trying to really get things set up. As the story unfolds, he had crack under the ashtray of his car, the minute he left that treatment center and rounded the corner the pipe was lite. That treatment center knew where he was going, they were right, he was showing relapse behavour.

So how many days clean is really not what it is all about, what lies behind....how would one ever know.

It is a bad bad drug and I raise my hand to those who have beat it and for the ones that try.

Rose
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

wow rose

Thats true days clean do not matter, what lies behind............

I think this is the case with my Ah
he gets clean time, walks the walk talks the talk ALL his actions are just what I or others would want to see from him YET 90 - 100 days he relapses...........

so whatever it is that lies behind for him..............its not been recovery, still praying he can find and keep that
Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Just wanted to add my 2 cents:

I'm a recovering addict and I used crack for years. I've been clean since 1998 and I'm inclined to believe that, as a result of recovery, I'm more trustworthy today than I ever was. I really, really don't buy into statistics or percentages - too many unknown factors. I could offer an opinion, but instead I'll offer experience: An addict, any addict, can stop using drugs...lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live. Recovery is possible.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow....these responses have been over-whelming. I'm definetly not use to getting so many or so quickly in the mental health forum. i can't thank each one of you enough!

My stomach is in a 100 knots just from reading this much already. I will read the reality.com site after this, just before i go to bed.

Actually, I'd nearly forgotten i'd posted this as i'm not use to venturing out of the comfort of the MH forum. lol but tonight he called again from the hospital and the brief call ended with him hanging up on me. The last time he did that....i told him if he ever hangs up on me again that i will not answer his calls after that.

Actually, i'm confused because he's been in the hospital since Saturday and yet he tends to only act like a jerk when he's high. I'm wondering if he could have snuck some in with him? Guess it doesn't matter as i'd already decided, once again, that i'm not going to even answer his calls any more.

Splendra, you are right....he is my ex-boyfriend (who thinks and still considers himself to be my boyfriend and I even heard over the phone the other day tell someone that i am his wife). And yes....you are right in that he stole my car from me while i was sleeping and had it for a month while i was in the hospital for most of that time. I was then forced to buy a cheap, piece-o-crap for my job that requires me to travel each day. I found my car and took it back, but then ended up loosing about $800 when the cheap peice o crap owner turned into his own peice of crap kind of person. My addict also drained my bank account of about $550 prior to stealing my car....which further cost me at least $300 in overdraft fees.

Problem is.....that not less than 3 months ago i was in day-treatment for my 3rd major depressive episode and being seriously suicidal and my chief complaint was loneliness and feeling so unlovable as i'd not even had a kiss or a date or anything in 4 years.

This one IS a good liar and he admits it openly to me. He's 43 and been hooked on this for most of his life since about 19. Right now, he's totally homeless and totally without anyone or anything and all he knows are addicts and me....so he keeps bugging me.

Like the good little struggling codie i am....i keep telling him "no" (99.9 percent of the time) and he simply says, "okay." I have only seen him in person twice in the past 2 months. He's been going from mental hospital to mental hospital for the past 3-4 weeks and supposedly working with the VA to get into rehab, but there have been no bed openings. I know he's actually been in the hospitals b/c i do reverse phone number look-ups when he calls and he's on foot, so it's not like he can drive himself all over just to call me from these numbers.

But that's all irrelivant i suppose. I mean, my issue is that i have grown to love him and i do think he is currently hitting his bottom and truely seeking recovery....and i enjoy being with him so much. that's my problem b/c i also believe that regardless of his determination at this point in his life.....that relapse is not an "if" but rather a "when" and i can't afford to lose anything more to HIS addiction issues.

So now....i just have to keep myself otherwise entertained and non-lonely (so that i won't be tempted to answer his calls or go back around him)

Bless each of you for your responses,
lov and hugs,
Jenna
:ghug
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

p.s. i forgot to add that he gets his monthly VA check Friday and is planning to start paying me back from what he has taken from me. My thoughts.....show me.

Also....the reason he still calls even after i yelled and cussed him for the first month every time he did....said he had a major awakening sort of moment when he realized that none of the people in his life (i.e. all the druggies) gave a crap about him unless he had something to give them (like a ride in my car somewhere or money to buy and share drugs with them). And then he realized i'd been the only one in his life in years who had cared about him for 'him' and no other reason.

i realize that is probably all hog-wash...but anyway that's his explanation for all the sudden changes he's trying to make to show me he's serious about wanting to get away from it all and how much he really does want to be with me and love me. But i still don't believe him.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

can they recover? YES I believe they can but I also believe its a forever program and it has to be for them because they want it, since it takes a committment for the rest of their life and it takes vidgilance? spelling sucks sorry.........

and I also believe recovery is found in their time not ours..........