It's a start...

Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's a start...

Well Saturday I went in to my boss for my part-time job and told him that would be my last day. I went on to explain my problem with my AW and how the week or so prior she really blew it in my mind by getting plowed while watching 3 other children for my daughters sleepover. I lost too much faith in her common sense that night and I had to quit to be there for my family.

Last night, while the AW was passed out, I had a talk with my daughter. I told her I quit my job to be around more to help take care of her and her brother since mom is often too drunk.

She smiled, hugged me and cried a bit into my shoulder. I know I am on the right path, setting things up for my impending divorce and while the road ahead may be rough I know ultimately I am doing what is best for my family. The AW has stepped too far over the line and I know now there is no going back in our relationship, I can only go forward with my life.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Zak your post touched me. What strength you have to do what you know is right. I can only imagine the sadness you must feel having to make these changes in your life solely to protect your children. We can only pray for those who are still active and suffering from the disease, and pray that they reach their limit sooner rather than later. And that they make it. Its not within our control to make them see the light and want to change. It's in God's hands. Meanwhile we do what we have to do one day at a time. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Zak, I'm so sorry you are going through all this. Your children are lucky to have you. What are you planning to do for you?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Zak, Your children are very lucky to have such a wonderful dad to lean on... I am sorry that you have had to make this decision since you were doing it for your children to start with..

hang in there - your strength is an inspiration

shakarris
Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My plans for me are as follows: Move on with my life and leave this situation as soon as possible. =)

Realistically, I am waiting for taxes to come back, close a few other items out and once all those things are out of the way (things that could make a divorce long and ugly) I am moving on and forward with my life. A life where I can devote my energy to myself and my children and not deal with the ugliness of having an AW.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

My heart goes out to you. You're children are so fortunate to have you take care of them. I grew up with an alcoholic mother, and my father ignored it....even though she'd be passed out, face down, in the the foyer of our home, or she'd be passed out naked in the hallway, etc., etc.. We three kids had to take care of ourselves as our father worked as many hours as he could and left us to take care of ourselves. We cried all the time, we were scared all the time, we wished and prayed for help all the time. We grew up lonely, scared and timid.
What you are doing for your kids is what we prayed for as little ones. Your post has really stirred up emotions inside me from my youth. What you're doing for your children is giving them a chance at life. Good for you.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Zak- good for you. I know it's hard. I am also in the middle of that decision with my AH. I used to think I had to stay with him for our daughter- How could I subject her to a divorce? Now I know that I need to leave him not only for me- but for her too. One healthy parent is better than both messed up in an unhealthy home. My heart goes out to you. Take care.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Originally Posted by tay-lyn View Post
We cried all the time, we were scared all the time, we wished and prayed for help all the time. We grew up lonely, scared and timid.
What you are doing for your kids is what we prayed for as little ones. Your post has really stirred up emotions inside me from my youth. What you're doing for your children is giving them a chance at life. Good for you.
Thank you tay-lyn. This post moved me. This was me also....I was a little girl praying for help. Thank you Zak, for sharing your process with us...I am praying for you and your family. Stand strong. You are an inspiration. You are helping others.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Zak, I am so happy your kids have you. Just make sure you dont neglect yourself in the process.

Mair xx
Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow,
Your children are so lucky to have a Dad like you. The relief they must feel is overwhelming,they are just small children dealing with big adult issues and you are doing the best thing for them,all I can say is you are very special.
God Bless you are awesome!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Zak...

You are definitely a hero to those children. I am so proud of your decision and look forward to reading your story.
Melissa
Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The next right thing isn't always easiest, but is always best!