Notices

I am addicted to nyquil now

Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I am addicted to nyquil now

I have been sober for a month since jan 6th and yesterday actually all this week i couldn't sleep so i took a shot of nyquil on monday now i am getting the same cravings for nyquil that i do for jack danials. Awesome, also now my liver has a sharp pain the same way that it does when i go out drinking. I talked to lots of people and they say I may die because nyquil eats your liver alive. So take it easy guys and pray my last days to be awesome
Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Thats terrible stuff,......you managed to quit the booze a month ago now you know what to do.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

McRibb, you really should talk to your dr. about the pain and don't let others tales scare you off. The thing is, lots of us have addictive personalities and it's very easy to slip from one thing to another. Stopping drinking is hard and it's common to have sleeping problems in early sobriety. The trick is finding a way to deal with it, that doesn't involve some kind of substance.

Do check with your dr and keep posting.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

i went to the doc a couple years ago for the same feeling the enzimes were the same and they didn't know what the deal was. It goes away it is just after drinking or whatever liver killer nyquil has in it. I was really yellow today.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

mc-
this is not good. if you are having sleep issues perhaps you could get ordered some sleep meds from your Doc. my roomate takes sleep time meds so he can sleep and he's doin just fine at 9 months plus sober. there are other ways of relaxing before sleep time. try a hot shower to warm your body temp or some sleepy time tea. don't drink if you are turning yellow please see your Doc.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nyquil has acetaminophen as well as alcohol as its principal ingredients.
Acitemenaphan is very hard on the liver and is not recommended to be taken by people who have liver problems, kidney problems or who drink over 3 drinks a day. You must decide if you want to be sober or not, if you do it sounds like getting some serious professional help is in order, I recommend seeing a Therapist with specialties in treating Addiction. They may refer you to someone to provide medications to help you sleep or deal with anxiety/depression. Only you alone will beable to make that decision to take the next step. You are here now so I can only assume you want to be free from the bonds of addiction. I know I sound like I am preaching, I dont have the answers, I am really messed up myself, but after reading your post I just had to say something. I am rooting for you!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

being yellow is the sign of something seriously wrong in the liver dept, McCribb.
Stuff that doesn't usually 'just go away' even after you stop drinking.

I can't stress this strongly enough - see a doctor ASAP.

and yeah Nyquils bad stuff for alkies. Stop it.

D
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you gotta go to the DR
Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Two observations after reading your post, Mcribb.

My first sponsor always used to say, "No one ever died from lack of sleep."

At a discussion meeting conducted by some Oldtimers, they kept a bottle of Niquil on the speaker's desk to remind the newcomers to beware of over-the-counter meds containing alcohol.

Make that three observations.

A trip to the doc is certainly a good idea, and not to be put off while you self-medicate.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"No one ever died from lack of sleep."

This is true, they died when they got behind the wheel of a car exhausted.

They got hurt at the factory because focus, concentration and attention were jeopardized.

None of us are qualified to give medical advice, see your doctor, and for what it's worth, do try to get some rest, it gives the body and mind a much needed break.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Points well taken, Rob...but, I'm sure you know what my sponsor meant when I would complain in early sobriety that I was having trouble sleeping. It was something that always stuck with me, and I just thought it was worth passing on.

The consensus is pretty clear, Mcribb...see your doctor as soon as possible. The local ER is always an option, too. Don't know what the laws are in Missouri...here in New Jersey, they can't turn you away, even without insurance.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

McRibb... I don't want to hear anymore about your "last days."

You're a member of this forum, you're a friend, and we care about you. If you don't want to go to the doctor for yourself, then go for me. Go for us.

ONE TICKET: MCRIBB HAS PERMISSION TO GO TO THE DOCTOR ON BEHALF OF HIS FRIENDS AT SOBER RECOVERY, IF NOT FOR HIMSELF.

We want to see another post and update on here. How are you feeling now? We're thinking about you.

-- NM
Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Thanks guys for the support. I am feeling better today I didn't hot the nyquil bottle yesterday. I haven't drank since jan 6th. Life hasn't been fun for along time for me but i am managing each day. The first thread was tounge in cheek. It was a wierd day. I am a wierd dude with wierd ways of dealing with things. So i took way too much nyquil and my side hurt. I went to work and all i kept asking people was if they ever had a nyquil addiction most of them laughed. I had a small panic attack like i do everytime my side hurts. I was just mad at myself for trying to get to sleep and cheat my body. I drink cafeene all day to stay awake then i want to fall asleep on time. I learned from the experience. I am doing fine and just take my posts with a grain of salt. I forget that there are people in danger on this board and often don't think before posting. The good news is i haven't drank since jan 6th and i have been through it all and not really had a problem saying no. The only time i have a craving is when that last hour of work rolls around on friday. I went on a road trip with my booziest buddies and they were cool about it.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, McRibb. Been thinking of you. Keep at it.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

nyquil has more alcohol content than a beer.

I'm sure that's already been said on here, I just didnt see it.

It's 'so good for us' that you now can't give anything RESEMBLING it to a child -
or you'll kill it.

something to think about...and I agree with your signatrure about Stevie Ray...
Old 02-09-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link helps you with sleeping.

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Well done on your sober time!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Stevie Ray Vaughn is my higher power.
now thats the good word.