Craig Ferguson Speaks from the heart on youtube.com

Old 01-18-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craig Ferguson Speaks from the heart on youtube.com

Craig Ferguson is a talk show host (i think on cable). He was formerly the boss on The Drew Carey Show. Do a search on youtube on Craig Ferguson Speaks From the Heart...

This monologue is more like an AA open talk.....very interesting, very encouraging, especially that he did not go to his family when he finally was ready to surrender but went to an acquaintance who had been in the "life" but had gotten out.....

It starts out with freedom of speech, but he quickly moves into the topic...

Let me know what you all think.

Sue
Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I knew there was a reason I liked that guy.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He tells his story of alcohol and drugs in his book "American on Purpose". I would recommended it. He's a great guy.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've seen the You Tube video and read his book. Both are amazing and inspiring.

Glenn Beck Show - December 1, 2009 - Pt 4 of 7 on You Tube-Listen to Glenn Beck on hitting rock bottom. Love him or hate him, he is a recovering alcoholic and what he has to say here is pretty powerful. Skip to about 4 minutes in and listen to the end of the clip.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

Wow...really liked that video with Ferguson. The part where he said "I didn't have a drinking problem, I had a THINKING problem" really hit me hard. Kind of ties every struggle I had with xabf and myself together.

Thanks for posting that.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've always liked Craig Ferguson also.

The AA adage "I didn't have a drinking problem, I had a THINKING problem" is supposed to mean - that abuse of alcohol/drugs is a SYMPTOM of a root problem, normally mental health issues like depression, anxiety, Bi Polar etc. However, the adage which has been recycled throughout time and repeated by many has come to mean a surrender to a higher power.

The root problem, IMO has to be identified and treated before any kind of sobriety can be achieved and maintained. Mine was anxiety.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Great clip! Long term sobriety looks great everyone but he does it especially well.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I watched both of them. I really enjoy hearing from alcoholics who are sober and found recovery. Good for them!!!!!!

As a codie, what I found interesting in both clips, is that neither of them said the reason they stopped was because their wife demanded they stop. They stopped because they decided.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

whyamistaying: I know your thought processes here because i've been there myself.

1. An individual has to take complete ownership for why they quit. It is the highest level of maturity, and it is a required thing for anybody to maintain sustained change.

2. If you could set Ferguson and Beck down and have time to "pick their brain" about things, they would more than likely say that the pain of losing things (jobs, relationships, integrity) did not have any immediate effect on their decision to quit (in fact, many times they are relieved to be free of these burdens that interfere with their desire to drink/drug more) but that the cumulative effect of those losses eventually influenced their decision. So, bottom line here is that we distance ourselves from the addict not only to drive home the point that they need help but more importantly to protect ourselves from the negative effects of the addict's lifestyle.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

re Glenn Beck:

what am i missing? can anybody tell me how exactly to find this video....
Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
re Glenn Beck:

what am i missing? can anybody tell me how exactly to find this video....
Sojourner:Here's the link to the video. Go to about 4 minutes into it and listen to it to the end.

YouTube - Glenn Beck Show - December 1, 2009 - Pt 4 of 7
Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad I watched that. Long term sobriety/recovery *is* a great thing. I will try and watch/read more about it when I have time.

The clip makes me so sad though. So overwhelmingly sad. Sad that alcoholism is such a tragic and sad way to live. Sad that it destroys so much. It is sad that nothing I did or could do would make any difference at all.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Craig Ferguson is a talk show host (i think on cable). He was formerly the boss on The Drew Carey Show. Do a search on youtube on Craig Ferguson Speaks From the Heart...
I love him with all my heart! That was SO genuine.

can y'all recommend any other videos online with people telling their story?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wifeofadrinker View Post
I love him with all my heart! That was SO genuine.
He writes his book the way he speaks-with the same genuineness.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

whyamistaying: I know your thought processes here because i've been there myself.

1. An individual has to take complete ownership for why they quit. It is the highest level of maturity, and it is a required thing for anybody to maintain sustained change.

2. If you could set Ferguson and Beck down and have time to "pick their brain" about things, they would more than likely say that the pain of losing things (jobs, relationships, integrity) did not have any immediate effect on their decision to quit (in fact, many times they are relieved to be free of these burdens that interfere with their desire to drink/drug more) but that the cumulative effect of those losses eventually influenced their decision. So, bottom line here is that we distance ourselves from the addict not only to drive home the point that they need help but more importantly to protect ourselves from the negative effects of the addict's lifestyle.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I liked when Craig Ferguson said that there are people you can talk to that can help and they're very near the front of the phone book.