Notices

Simple question...

Old 12-28-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Exclamation Simple question...

Can alcohol withdrawal cause breathing issues (ie; shortness of breath, inability to get a "full" breath, etc)?. I'm not talking about anxiety-related breathing problems. I'm talking about breathing problems caused purely by alcohol withdrawal.

One ER doctor told me that it was "common" and I also read a post here awhile back where one person was claiming that alcohol withdrawal caused them to have "breathing issues".

I also smoked a pack or more every other day for over a year when I drank. In fact booze and ciggies went together like peanut butter and jam.

Anyway, there's my question and no, AA is'nt going to help my shortness of breath I'm afraid

Thanks, Need4Change
Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actually in Dr. Bob's nightmare it talks about shortness of breath. The Book does say that once the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically. If you give the program a chance it just might take your breath away.......

Big Book Pg. 178
It was not long before I was drinking at least a case and a half a day. I put on thirty pounds weight in about two months, looked like a pig, and was uncomfortable from shortness of breath.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know from personal experience that if you have also given up smoking - or drastically cut back, then your breathing can become worse for a while. Particular brands of cigarettes actually contain broncholidators that make it easier to breathe so that you can continue smoking more.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know what?. This is really strange because I would always go for a day or two without cigs and then I would become somewhat short of breath but as soon as I lit up again within a couple of puffs I could suddenly breath much better again and I was always really puzzled by this since you'd think the opposite would be true (ie; smoke and get even shorter of breath).

Thanks for solving that little mystery for me!. Tobbacco companies and thier dirty little tricks and it looks like it's still continuing.

- Need4Change

Originally Posted by December15 View Post
I know from personal experience that if you have also given up smoking - or drastically cut back, then your breathing can become worse for a while. Particular brands of cigarettes actually contain broncholidators that make it easier to breathe so that you can continue smoking more.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd see a Dr if symptoms persist...doesn't have to be an AA doctor either
D
Old 12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Haha...good one

Well, for the last hour the cravings have been super-intense and after 10 days of abstinance. It hit me out of the blue really but I never once thought about going back to that hellish life I used to live. Instead, I ate some crackers and took an Ativan (benzos bind to gaba receptors just like ethyl alcohol). Anyway, white-knuckling it at the moment waiting for the meds to kick in...I also bought some tin roof sundae ice-cream which is loaded with chocolate and chocolate-covered peanuts - also (supposedly) good for dealing with cravings.

PS: Where is everyone??. I used to post a message and within an hour or so at least a dozen people who I know here replied but now only a few do anymore.

- IHaveChanged

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd see a Dr if symptoms persist...doesn't have to be an AA doctor either
D
Old 12-28-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you doing so well N4C
D
Old 12-28-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been keeping up with you, I just didn't have any answers for you.

Sounds like you're doing great!!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

PS: Where is everyone??. I used to post a message and within an hour or so at least a dozen people who I know here replied but now only a few do anymore.
OK pre coffee early morning grumpy alert.
Not getting at you personally per se - but it REALLY annoys me when people post stuff like this N4C - and I've seen it regularly recently.

First off - it's *Christmas* dude.
Second - personally - I care about everyone here (well nearly LOL) but the board is not my life: if I'm around and I have something worthwhile or fitting to post, I'll post. Besides you're doing great - how many times can I post 'You're doing great' ? LOL

rant over
D
Old 12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I'd see a Doc anyway. I got a phyiscal when I quit, its good to know where I stand .

Kevin
Old 12-28-2007, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go back to bed. It's not coffee you need

OK pre coffee early morning grumpy alert.
Not getting at you personally per se - but it REALLY annoys me when people post stuff like this N4C - and I've seen it regularly recently.

First off - it's *Christmas* dude.
Second - personally - I care about everyone here (well nearly LOL) but the board is not my life: if I'm around and I have something worthwhile or fitting to post, I'll post. Besides you're doing great - how many times can I post 'You're doing great' ? LOL

rant over
D
Old 12-28-2007, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I might take a break from this thread for a while I think.
Good luck

D
Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I might take a break from this thread for a while I think.
Good luck

D
Right behind you Dee. Even brought some extra coffee......
Old 12-28-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok, you two have fun
Old 12-28-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am glad to see you here. Every time I see your name I always want to see What's Up.

But AA can help you with the breathing issues caused by withdrawls. AA can help you not drink to cause withdrawls.