Notices

Need Some Advice

Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Some Advice

Well, I don't know where to start, but I need some help. I have been drinking six to fourteen beers a night for the last fifteen years. I have tried to stop several times but find myself drinking again with in a few days.

Today I've decided to "quit" again.

My questions are?

1. Should I go to detox?
2. Instead of going to detox, just go to the doctor tomorrow and get something to help with the withdraws?
3. How bad are the withdraws, and will the next couple of weeks be like?
4. What can I look forward to without alcohol in my life?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Danielson. View Post
Well, I don't know where to start, but I need some help. I have been drinking six to fourteen beers a night for the last fifteen years. I have tried to stop several times but find myself drinking again with in a few days.

Today I've decided to "quit" again.

My questions are?

1. Should I go to detox?
2. Instead of going to detox, just go to the doctor tomorrow and get something to help with the withdraws?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Here are some links to other threads in this site that might help answer your questions.
1. Should I go to detox?
Quitting, what to expect.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Recovery programs
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Changes
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2-changes.html

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I would opt for #2 at this point and see what your Dr. thinks before you comit to Detox.
#3 depends on too many things. Some have serious withdrawls and some don't have any symptoms.
#4 depends on what you want to make of your new life. The simple(not so simple) act of quitting may be different than you expected. Finding the reasons you drink and putting them to rest will open the doors to a life that some only dream of. To do that there are programs such as A.A. and others. You can even get in touch with yourself through the spiritual aspect of Kung Fu. As long as you figure out a way to get a grip on your emotions thoughts and spiritual well being, the world is yours for the taking.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Danielson,

Of course you should go to your dr and we can't give medical advice here. But detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. Withdrawls won't be pleasant, but you'll be able to get with it. You can look forward to a fantastic life without alcohol!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi.....
Welcome!

Please read my sig line for my advice.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What do you think you should do? Going into detoxify with Christmas and New Years around the corner would definitely prove your serious about stopping. 4 days till Christmas you wouldn’t see me in detox or a Dr's office. I have to give you credit you sound pretty hopeless good luck on your decision.

Just to let you know there is life after Booze, more life than you could ever dream.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR

I second Carol. Every day a victory and such joy even in adversity.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

The craving for alcohol is really bad right now. My heart is beating really fast and I'm very nervous. From what I have read the first couple of days are the worst.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Think seriously about going to an ER
be totally honest because
they are aware of withdrawals

Be safe and sober too
Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 without drinking. I'm going to post in this thread everyday so I can read what I'm going through with these withdraws. I'm doing this so a week from now when I'm feeling better, I can read what I went through physically.

Last night I couldn't go to sleep. I was laying in bed till a little after 2:00 am. My heart was beating so hard. I woke up several times through the night extremely dehydrated.

I got up at 8:30 and I still feel a lot of anxiety. My stomach feels like it is in knots. My eyes look puffy and blood shot and my face looks pasty. I can't seem to focus on anything because I feel so nervous. This really sucks.

I know tonight is going to be really tough.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hmmmmmn...you asked for "some advice", and were given quite a bit, plus helpful threads to check out for answers to your questions.

Going "cold turkey" and "white knuckling" is an option in detoxing...but, it isn't one I would suggest, nor one anyone here has suggested. You always have the option of someone taking you to the closest ER...Christmas weekend should be pretty busy and crowded with accident-prone revelers...but, you'll be safer there than going through withdrawal at home. PLEASE CONSIDER IT!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
Hmmmmmn...you asked for "some advice", and were given quite a bit, plus helpful threads to check out for answers to your questions.

Going "cold turkey" and "white knuckling" is an option in detoxing...but, it isn't one I would suggest, nor one anyone here has suggested. You always have the option of someone taking you to the closest ER...Christmas weekend should be pretty busy and crowded with accident-prone revelers...but, you'll be safer there than going through withdrawal at home. PLEASE CONSIDER IT!
It's kind of to late now. I've made through my second day. Also, I do not want this on my medical records. Tomorrow will be day 3. I've been making myself eat and drink lots of water today. I have also started taken liver detox pills.

I can make it through this. I'm doing this alone. No ones knows what I'm going through except the people reading this thread.

I would like to thank everyone who is giving me advice.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Read around the boards, stray strong, lots of stories how people quit, when you are bored enough watch TV. drink tons of liquid, water, light fruit juices and call some friends talk to them or take a drive whatever it takes. You can do it.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I can make it through this. I'm doing this alone. No ones knows what I'm going through except the people reading this thread.
I'm so sorry you have no one to be with you during this difficult time...but, you know we are always here for you. You can always call your local AA hot-line, too. They might even have someone pick you up for a meeting, if you're feeling too shaky to drive. In any event, just knowing there's someone you can talk to is a big help. Hang tough!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My experience...withdrawals

Hey Danielson- Scroll through some of my past posts for the nity gritty on my withdrawals...point is, I've done it both ways...alone and with assistance...in the strongest possible terms I can convey....TALK TO A DOCTOR...I have no doubt you probably can do it alone...but why would you want to?? I know the shame, embarrassment, family finding out...all legitimate concerns...BUT..there is the percentage chance you do get tachycardia, seizures, dosorientation/ agitation ( all of which I have experienced) and wind up there anyway...the day I went, all sure I was unique, I was the 8th detox he'd seen that day. Most withdrawal can be managed on an out-patient basis...call first if you don't believe me. Withdrawal can be miserable...so miserable you finally break down and drink again to feel normal ..I stopped getting "drunk" years ago...I drink to function...and you're back at square one...the vicious cycle starts again. Care enough about yourself , or someone you love, to make the gesture this time...plus it helped me prove to me that I was serious enough to actually do something different this time
Old 12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I made it through day 3. This mourning started out very rough, but got better throughout the day. My appetite started coming back today.

I'm craving sweets, real bad. I went to starbucks late in the day and got a caramel fappachino. I felt better after I drink it. The strange thing is, I hate sweets. But I'll tell ya, it sure was good tasting that suger!

I did have some cravings for beer tonight. So, I went and rented a movie to get my mind off of the cravings. If you haven't seen "Heartbreak Kid," I recommend it. It's really funny.

How long do these cravings last?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Danielson and congrats on quitting. What exactly is a "liver detox pill"?
Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Hi Danielson and congrats on quitting. What exactly is a "liver detox pill"?
Here is some information on Liver Detox pills.

Milk thistle is a natural liver detoxifier that contains a powerful compound called silymarin, which has been found to defend the liver from many industrial toxins such as carbon tetrachloride, and more common agents like alcohol. Pro Health's Milk Thistle Complex includes Choline and Inositol to promote fat and cholesterol metabolism, and Vitamin C and E for improved antioxidant protection.

The U.S. National Library of Medicine has catalogued more than 300 scientific studies of milk thistle and its active compounds. One study at a liver institute in France discovered milk thistle’s two main actions. First, it helps decrease the conversion of the carbon tetrachloride into more toxic substances, and secondly, milk thistle acts as a potent antioxidant that inhibits these toxic compounds from harming healthy liver cells.

It’s hard to overstate the importance of the liver to our general health. The second largest organ in the body after the skin, it processes all nutrients, toxins, and any other substances entering the body through the intestines, lungs, or skin. The liver is responsible for detoxification, including the natural toxins in food, as well as synthetic chemical substances in food, water, and air. It helps promote balanced blood fat and sugar levels, and is essential to virtually every aspect of metabolism. It has been called the third most important organ in the body, after the brain and the heart.

Heavy metals can cause liver toxicity and damage through the production of free radicals. Silymarin has also been shown to promote strong and healthy liver tissue. Pro Health's Milk Thistle Complex is the right choice for anyone looking for a complete liver support formula. Optimize your liver health and further cleanse your body by taking this potent detoxifier.
I'm taking vitamin B12, vitamin c and zinc along with the liver detoxifier. I'm also drinking about a gallon of water a day.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi Danielson

Unfortunately, I have been through the withdrawal thing more than once, so I can tell you that it is likely that the worst is over physically. Most find the first 72 hours the hardest. Hang in there because it gets easier to sleep and eat like a normal person.

Alcohol is sugar, so our bodies crave sugar when we quit drinking. Beware the swings that can come with this--have some candy and feel better then crash off the sugar and feel worse.

The biggest thing once we get past the physical withdrawal is beginning to deal with why we were drinking. That's where I have failed in the past, and I am hoping this site will help. For many AA works, and others find counseling to be best, but we all need support and a way to deal with the underlying reason(s) for what we were doing.

Peace to you.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Hey Danielson - glad your still with us. 1st three days we're the worse for me, it's been getting a little easier everyday.

I too have been craving a lot of sweets. I read that it helps to keep your blood sugar up by eating small meals or snacks throughout the day.

Stick with it and take care.