Notices

My third day

Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My third day

Well here it is in a nutshell. I usually have 2-3 beers every thursday night when I shoot pool on a pool league that I am on and that's it for the week. But when I go to a party with my friend's or that they are having and so forth I tend to drink alot. And I mean like I'll have a little bit of some different liqours and then start in on the beer. And even when I get drunk or even get sick I don't stop I'll keep drinking because it's a party and I will slow down on the intake but still keep drinking. But that's not really the problem. The problem seems to be that certain people set something off in me and I snap at them with a vicous tounge. I open my mouth to some friend's and out comes all of my private business between my girlfriend and I. So, to try and get rid of these bad habits I am quitting for 6 months and revisit why I drink and so forth. Now I grew up without a dad since I was 3 and every male role model that came into my life I rejected and rebeled against. On top of the fact that my dad was a heavy drinker but not a violent one. I don't want to be an a** when I drink and it only happens at certain times. And I really think that's because while growing up I put away my anger and never faced it because I was always told to never fight so I always backed down when I got picked on and never stood up for myself until I joined the Army which I have now been out of for almost 4 years. And I can also add that while in the Army all I ever did was drink when I had the chance, and it got to be so much that I almost got into serious trouble. Now I've never gotten a DUI but I have driven while a little intoxicated and drove better drunk than sober which is scary I think. Anyways to wrap this up last night my girlfriend and a couple of my friend's kind of had a small intervention and on my own I said I was going to stop for 6 months but any advice and help along the way would be much appreciated. I just enjoy drinking when I fish play pool and occasionally when I've had a hard day at work. I want to get back to that point and to be able to have my friend's want me to be around when I drink cause right now they don't.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a firm believer in the fact that different types of drinks affecting your blood sugar levels differently. I have heard a lot of people tell me they can't drink certain drinks because they behave undesireably. If you still want to drink, I would experiment with drinks you have done well on. Also you should try to stick to one type of drink and avoid mixing them. Play with that idea for a little while and see how it works for you.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I prefer beer most of all honestly. And well when I get a good buzz I am easily talked into mixing beer before liqour. That never turns out good. But 90% of the time I am just a happy loving drunk. And I don't even drink to get drunk. I drink because I honestly enjoy the taste of beer. I'm big on Captian and coke and was big on Jack and coke until it was the first thing I ever got sick on. Anyways that's another little segment to add.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think you need to decide whether or not alcohol, in any form, is causing you problems in your life. If you want to stop drinking, this is a great place to come for support and information.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I enjoyed a beer or so when I fished hunted played pool.I enjoyed beer with anything I was doing.I had a bad influence with me that talked me into drinking all sorts of things.That infuence still with me today.Are you looking for drinking advice or looking for a way to stop?I got all sorts of ways to drink responsible I've done most of them.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am looking for help and support in stopping my drinking for at least 6 months. That is my goal because I know I can be responsible in my drinking but until I get other things in my life in line I need to stop. So any help and support is very much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is lots of support here and I think you are doing the right thing for yourself. You might be surprised how much better your life will be without alcohol.

Since you said that you drink too much on weekends at parties with your friends, the obvious suggestion would be to avoid those situations. There are a lot of tough choices to make when you first stop drinking. I had to stay away from some of the people in my life in order to stay sober.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dizzle6988 View Post
Well, I prefer beer most of all honestly. And well when I get a good buzz I am easily talked into mixing beer before liqour. That never turns out good. But 90% of the time I am just a happy loving drunk. And I don't even drink to get drunk. I drink because I honestly enjoy the taste of beer. I'm big on Captian and coke and was big on Jack and coke until it was the first thing I ever got sick on. Anyways that's another little segment to add.
Hi,

I didn't drink to get drunk, it just happened...

I am an alcoholic and any mix of alcohol makes me into a lunatic...Any happy drunks, sexy drunks, dancing drunks, falling down drunks, was short lived... for which I am most grateful...:

Do you think you are an alcoholic?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your first goal should be not to drink for just one day.Six months sounds like along time but anyone can do a day.keepstringing together days.See in six months if your habits have changed any.If you can drink like a social drinker.Early on I could do months and then I would binge.good luck.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi...
Your correct. If drinking causes you trouble
quitting is wise. The quicker you quit the better.

Instead of party time on weekends
I had to find other things to do
where there is no drinking.

I quit shooting darts in bars..
I bought a regulation board and hung
it in my apartment. Invited friends
and told them no alcohol.
Some declined Some came to shoot.
I stayed sober ...my game improved.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck on your goal on quitting drinking for 6 months. I find when I am sober around drunk people I use their behavior as an inspiration to remain sober.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR? that said in my opinion if you want to stop drinking, get some advice on how to stop and keep posting here we will support you. Also 6 months is a little ambitious if you want to stop stay in the moment and then it won't seem so daunting. Good luck on findind your way to sobriety it really does rock.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I thank you all who have posted on here so far. I have been sober for 5-6 days now and I plan on being that way for the whole 6 months. I have pool league tomorrow night and that will be a real test because I love to have a couple while I shoot because it calms me a little when I get frustrated when I'm not doing well or when I am doing well I get overly excited. And I don't use the alchohol to do that it's just there and I drink it and I refocus. Anyways thanks again to everyone and please keep posting.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Power of Positive Thinking!

Sorry to say this, but I'll be suprised if you make it 6 weeks. You've already set yourself up to fail by saying "for 6 months". Those of us with some experience know that if your going to quit, it a one day at a time thing. You've given yourself a date which you're going to go out drinking again. What's to say things are going good in a week or so, and maybe 6 months really isn't necessary?

I'm an alcoholic. I can't drink or I WILL lose everything. Today I'm not drinking and that's all I need to concern myself with. If I tell myself that in a few months I can start drinking again, what's to stop me from drinking in a few minutes?

Best of luck with your 6 months. Let me know if you make it.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The 6 months thing is the goal and at 3 I'll reevaluate why I drink and if I think I need more time then I'll wait till the 6 months is up and do the same thing I did at 3. I'm sober now and that is what matters but I never really drank during the week except at pool and on saturdays or fridays at a friend's place if there was a get together. The get togethers is when I act like an idiot and a ********. My friend's don't want to be around me when I drink and I don't want that because I value their friendships ALOT. But thanks alot for your words.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not going to brand everyone that acts up when they drink an "Alcoholic" just yet. If you can drink 2-3 and go a week without, I can't fathom that. If you make an ass out of yourself when you overdo it, I think we can all relate. As an Alcoholic it's not recommended that we set goals for ourselves so therefore we don't. I wouldn't bother with trying to quit for 6 months, I would just back off from the parties where you tend to overdo it. Stick to your 2-3 beers a week and you'll do well. Be ever so vigilant becase it has a way of sneaking up and blindsiding you. As you well know.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I set the goal because I like to keep myself goal orrientated, but I understand where everyone is coming from. My girlfriend keeps on me about the drinking because she's never seen me just have one beer and that be it. Well I'm sorry but when I get home from a rough day I have one to relax and if it's gone before dinner then why can't I have another with dinner?? Anyways that's all I'm going to rant about for now thanks again everyone.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Diz. Keep posting.

Let me share a few things with you that come to mind as potentially important...

1. I can almost guarantee that a very sizable percentage of those of us on this board who are NOW dedicated to the notion of life-long sobriety (but doing it one day at a time, of course) due to our drinking or drugging problems actually took our first tentative steps towards sobriety with EXACTLY the same type of move as you are now engaged. That being, we pretty much ALL started out trying to stop for X amount of time, in hopes that this would somehow 'reset' our systems back to how they once reacted to the chemicals, back when we were younger, and they seemed to be 'working for us'.
2. Nearly, if not exactly, ALL of these same people now KNOW, beyond any shadow of doubt, that s*it don't work like that. And trust me, most of carried out experiments along these same lines MULTIPLE, perhaps DOZENS of times, in order to make absolutely CERTAIN that s*it don't work like that. I'd say that enough research has been done collectively among us on this board alone, let alone all the thousands of fellow addicts/drunks we've come into contact with through rehab/AA/service work whose stories we've heard over the years.
3. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the vast majority of us here would agree (somebody will correct me if I'm wrong on this, I'm sure) that quitting for some period of time, at BEST, did NOTHING positive in terms of the progress of our addiction, and at worst, seemed to dramatically exacerbate it's severity once our pre-set 'time frame' (if we even made it that far) expired and we began drinking/using again.

Bottom line, you're taking the first steps almost all of us took as we began to get a grasp on where our drinking/drugging was taking us. The bummer thing is, whether you succeed or you fail to make it 6 months ... literally means next to nothing in the overall scheme of things. You will end up EXACTLY where you are now very shortly after that 6 months is over, you can TAKE IT TO THE BANK my friend.

Sorry to be a wet blanket on your plans, bro, but seriously ... if it were me, I wouldn't bother unless I was going to at least PLAN to stay sober the rest of my life (one day at a time). That's just me ... others may disagree
Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Power of Positive Thinking!

I 100% agree with Bvaljalo.

Well put.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

While I understand where you are coming from and in ways I do agree but the thing is, is this. I am not a quitter so I shall use the term I am stopping myself from drinking for 6 months in order to figure out some emotional issues that I have so that I can hopefully one day down the long road enjoy a beer when I shoot pool or go fishing or sit around a camp fire up north on the weekends. I let all my inner deamons come out when I drink in a party setting and I need to deal with those demons without drinking at all and if I at some point in 6 months or after or before know that I have delt with all those things and come to terms with them then I believe it would be safe for me to have a beer. I'm not one who after one or two beers goes on a crazy benge and drinks himself stupid. I got over that back in the military and that is a scary place and that's not what I want to do ever again. I have this attitude that I don't care what people think of me and that if they like me for me then that's great but if they don't then go on about your life. And that comes out very heavly when I drink and that's not a good thing. I'm trying to get rid of the immaturity in my drinking. Everyone that I am friend's with now can sit drink or party and get a little crazy ha ha and then calm down, but I can't do that in a party setting I just want to keep going and going and get wilder and wilder. That is the part that I need to cure. Along with my anger. I grew up without a dad and I believe that anger comes out at times towards certain people when I get to drinking enough and I need to get rid of that anger but I just don't know how to right now and that's something I hope to figure out soon because I can't keep hiding it inside myself.