Fentanyl detox - insomnia

Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fentanyl detox - insomnia

DH had a 1 year addiction to fentanyl patches. He went into detox last week, was there for 4 days and came home last Sunday. He used suboxone to detox but was off it for 36 hours before he was released. He is doing intensive outpatient (IOP)rehab for the next 6 weeks.
Most of the obvious withdrawal symptoms are gone; no more shakes, sweating, muscle/bone pain, anxiety, etc. However he is having a hell of a time sleeping. He has trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. This is a HUGE problem because he has a demanding job and a 2 hour daily commute in addition to 3 hours of IOP 3 times a week - he has got to get some sleep or I'm afraid he's going to relapse! He can't function on 3 hours a night and go like he is, he's going to crash and burn.

Is the insomnia a fentanyl/opiate withdrawal symptom? If so, how long will it last? Does anyone have any recommendations to help him get some sleep?

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know about the withdrawl symptoms of opiates but insomnia does seem to be common.

I actually let my husband figure it out on his own, he put himself in that position but what he did find was that Melantonin helped tremendously. HOWEVER, melantonin has some herbs in it that can be very dangerous when combined with other meds and also for people with high blood pressure so it is ALWAYS important to ask a doctor or pharmacist what can be combined.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We've tried Melatonin and it didn't do much for him, but he was still using and that might have been the problem.

His doc prescribed him tramadol to help with his back pain (arthritis, what he was initially using fentanyl for). I just looked it up and it not only has withdrawal symptoms the same as fentanyl, it also causes insomnia!!!
I could scream. This is the same doc who recommended detox and knows DH is an addict. What the hell was he thinking prescribing something that can be addictive?!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please take the Tramadol and get rid of it.. Tramadol is a synthetic opiate.. It's as addictive as H-LL... I was hooked on it for 2 years!!!