one of my students

Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

one of my students

Well, today a student of mine came to class and really appeared to be under the influence of something. I spoke with her for a few minutes to try to assess things and she admitted to taking some acid last night/early morning. She kept saying she was fine, but I had to call the nurse and she was taken to the office. I found out later they called 911 and her mom was meeting the girl at the hospital for all of the screenings.

I know I did the right thing. I just can't escape the mental second hand effects of drugs lately. My sister as some of you already know is addicted to meth and left my parents and her child over the weekend to walk back to the addicted bf and friends. She says she wants help, but wants to do it her way. When she's home she can't abide by any rules so she gets into fights with my parents and leaves to start the cycle over again.

Many of my other students were questioning my decision to call the nurse and really seemed to be blaming me that the student had to leave school. It was almost as if they thought it was cool she was so messed up and didn't see anything wrong. Makes me angry and sad all at the same time.

Am I just too aware now? I'm really not looking for more to try to save/fix/enable/etc. Some things just seem to keep coming to me.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happysoul,

It's actually very timely because I teach science and this week is Red Ribbon week.
We're talking about the effects of drugs and alcohol. For some, all of the messages of prevention just aren't enough. For others, though it will make a difference. Until someone is affected firsthand, it's very difficult for the middle schoolers to understand.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think you did the right thing. I no longer care what people who have not been where I have been, think, I too do what I feel is right.

I think if more people stepped up to the plate, like you did, and less people turned a blind eye of ignorance...maybe the world would be just a little better place.

Hugs
Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, you absolutely did the right thing. You can't worry about being their friends. They have no idea of the consequences of drug addiction. My daughter didn't either and when she was in high school and before her own addiction, I do think she thought it was cool too. No way is the lifestyle she lives now even remotely cool. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Kudos to you! I think you did the right thing and then some. You may have saved her life. If she is dabbling with that type of drug at this young age, she is in serious trouble already and needed someone to step up to the plate for her. I have a 5th grader (and 2 grown boys as well) and the way that drugs have trickled down to middle school makes me sick. I wish there were more teachers like you!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel like you did the right thing. If her mom had no idea before she knows now, and can work with her daughter. I wish more teachers would take a stand and report what they see. Don't worry if the kids think you shouldn't have reported her, they don't get it. If something happened to her, you would be saying if I only did call the nurse she would.....
Keep up the good work
Old 10-23-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you did the right thing, morally, ethically, and professionally! What do those kids know, nothing! They know someone got caught and it could have been them. They don't know that people die from drugs, and it could be them!

I think the more we tell and put it in the open the more lives could be helped, the more we stay quiet, the more are destroyed--IMO

Blessings,
susan
Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You did the right thing. It is not your job to worry what they think of you for helping this girl. It was the right thing to do.

:praying I hope she will be ok. Let us know.

-Broken
Old 10-23-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you did the right thing. do not feel guilty.you are right tho,lots of kids probley thought it was cool. those are the ones doing the same thing.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

Absolutely you did the right thing. I am a teacher myself and we just had Red Ribbon Week also. You have a moral and legal obligation to report suspicion of abuse, even drug abuse. Too often we as teachers also have to act as the "responsible party" in the child's life...for whatever reason the parent doesn't know what is going on. Sometimes as a teacher we see the kid more than the parent does.

It was your duty to report this girl's drug use and you did exactly what you needed to do. Don't even listen to what the kids say....they don't know crap. If there is one thing I've learned from being a teacher is that the kids have no idea there is a world there outside themselves.

You did good.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Now that I know 1st hand from my AS what drug use/abuse looks like and the behaviors that go along with it I can see it in many of the teenagers that I work with.
When I suspect it I notify the parents of my suspicions. One student I told his P.O.
IN my mind, you absolutely did the right thing. From the parents point of view I would want to know. I want the other students to see that there are consequens.
for coming to school high. Don't feel guilty for doing your job well.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like others before me said, you did the right thing. I wish one of my daughters' teachers would have done this to her. Maybe we would have found out sooner than we did.
Thanks
Terri
Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

THANK YOU!

You may never hear it from her, but there will be a day in her life when she realizes your courgeous and caring act. And she will thank you out loud.

You may never hear the words, but there will be a day in the life of one of those students when they have to make a courageous choice - maybe to use or not to use - maybe to call out a friend who needs help - and they will thank you for setting the example that lead them to right action.

You absolutely did the right thing. Since you won't hear it from them, you'll hear it from me. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Good for you! You absolutely did the right thing. I find it terribly sad that other students find it "cool" that this girl has a problem. I guess they dont' have any idea what real life is all about.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you, all!!

Her mom came to conferences this week and thanked me, too in person.
Mom knew what has been going on and is glad there is another person her daughter can go to and feel safe.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You did good Aztchr. God Bless you for caring and doing the right thing. I believe sometimes people are angels and I think you were this girls.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To Life!

I only wish you were my son's teacher.
I discovered that my son's teachers knew he was doing drugs in high school. They didn't tell me, or anyone else. I was a teacher in the school! I was their colleague.

My son has abused drugs for 14 years. He's been in and out of jail. He's got HepC, and has been introduced to HIV, (though he's not positive, thank G*D!). He's OD'd multiple times and has even died and been revived by the EMT's.

How much different it might have been if one of his teachers - who knew - had acted like a responsible party and told someone. Anyone.

I am greatful to you for being a professional. You do the teaching profession proud.

Shalom!