please read - need your feedback

Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

please read - need your feedback

So my divorce from AH (DOC = opiates) was finalized on Monday. We spoke briefly Monday evening, and he appeared "fine" - still active in his addiction, but barely emotional about the fact that our marriage was just dissolved.

Today at work, I receive a phone call from him - he's clearly agitated/stressed, saying that if anything happens to him, he'll leave $7,000 in our garage and told me where to find it. He wouldn't elaborate on what was going on other than to tell me that his accounts will be frozen so I won't be able to get $ for the mortgage, and that he's concerned about the way the market is going (note: its up today) so he's liquidating his stocks and mutual funds.

What in the world is going on here? I'm very concerned, but also very confused and not sure what I should do. Is this just a bad trip? Is he fleeing the country? Is he in trouble? Or is it just an attempt to get my attention?

Does anyone have any advice? Its been a few hours and I haven't heard from him.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My only advice is that if he hasn't told you what trouble he's in, it's probably better that you don't know. That way, if you are asked by law enforcement or the IRS, you really don't know.

I've been through some issues with my family business and the IRS. In each case, the fact that I had no knowledge of the problems saved me from being held responsible.

Wow, I guess you wait it out. Keep up posted!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Many times I found myself distressed and scared after a phone call like that from my son. Then, a day or so later I would get another phone call and he would have forgotten what he said. We worry more than they do.

I learned that worry was a wasted emotion, the things I worried about most were things I had absolutely no control over and it just took me to a bad place.

It is impossible to figure out what they mean or pick out the truth from the fiction when the person speaking is active in their addiction.

Time will tell, and worry won't change the outcome, so try to get some peace thinking of better days to come.

Hugs
Old 10-25-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Totally agree with ANN. They tend to sleep well and get up refreshed while we are getting no sleep and burning the candle from both ends. Worry will not change it. If I were you, I would turn it over to a HP and do not answer my phone as much. If it is really urgent he will leave a message and you can better decide what you can handle. Voice mail is a wonderful thing.

((((HUGS))))
Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I use to get calls similar to that one. I would get to obsessing, over what it could possibly mean, until I found myself unable to sleep, and half crazed from worry.

Now I know someone much bigger than I, can take care of all those worries, and fears while I sleep.

Hugs,