Chaos

Old 10-25-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chaos

I recently spoke to a clean crack addict.He told me that when in active use they feel no guilt they justify everything. He says when the addict says " Im sorry" its not true Yet I have heard that they use more because of the guilt. My AS has caused major damage in the home enviroment. He has stolen well over $20,000, jackets, tools you name it it has disappeared from our home. We tried intervention and shipped him off to a private rehab. I now realize he only went because we would have left him in a shelter. Not one word that comes from his mouth is the truth. He is angry all the time, the one that shocks me is this was a kid that despised alcohol he drinks like a fish now with the crack. I can not believe how manipulating they are. What does it take for them to get clean. Two weeks ago a friend of his relapsed and died cocaine injection. Three days later one of the young men that moved in to a halfway house from rehab hung himself. It is reality in there face and they just dont get it.
My mother passed away 8 months ago and he even stole money from my account while I sat at her bedside.They are actually quite dangerous when using, they will stop at nothing. I used to make excuses and pick up his messes no more. He tried to call today from a payphone I would not answer. I love my son more then anything, yet I hate the addict
Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((katie))

Cunning, baffling and powerful is disease of addiction -

So very sorry that you are going thru this with your son - In learning to deal with the addicts & alcoholics in my life, it helps me to go to Al-Anon meetings, post here, read recovery literature, working with my sponsor, and contact with my HP.

Don't give up before the miracles happen in YOU - you deserve them.

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

If there was one "thing" we could do to get them to "understand" to "find their way" or just get clean, (dammit!); we would be plastering it in font 7,345 on the front of this forum.

Sadly, it takes what it takes... and that "it" is different for everyone.

You know, I was born to alcoholics. I grew up in a violent, chaotic alcoholic home (and I hated the drinking ...absolutely!). I did not find a 12-step program back then.

I developed my own alcoholism at 15 or 16 and drank for another 10 years or so... got into some awful situations and lost friends and self-respect.
I did not find a 12-step program back then.

I married an alcoholic and our marriage became chaotic and violtent.
I did not finda 12-step program back then.

But when both my kids developed addiction, their suffering nearly took me off the planet.
At that point, I was desperate and hurting and willing to try ANY THING to make the pain go away.

Only THEN did I find MY way to a 12-step program. Only at my lowest point, was I willing to admit that I was powerless over ... [fill in the blank]

And I didn't even have a substance clouding my thinking.

If it took me that long... so much further beyond what a "logical", "reasonable" person might take. I cannot judge what it takes for any alcoholic or addict to find recovery.

I hope this helps.

(((hugs)))
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
krhea75

Of course you love your son. But they can also abuse that love, and it sounds like your son has abused your trust, love and anything else he can get his hands on. My son has done the same. He has been to rehab 5 times and he'sonly 17! He is now in a recovery home. Don't give up on getting him help, but realize that he will have to want it. How old is he? Is he still at home? It is so hard to see what addiction does to our children. But what is important here is for you to start healing yourself.
krhea