Notices

Is this safe?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this safe?

Hello everyone, my name is Mark and I feel that I have developed an alcohol problem over the last few months. I recently moved away, and started drinking frequently. It started at 4-5 a day and hovered there for about a month, and this past month my consumption has jumped to 8-9+ a day, on average. Some days I had more, and some days I had less. My question to all of you is, is it safe for me to quit "cold turkey"? The only thing that is stopping me from quitting is my fear of all of the "serious" withdraw symptoms. How common is it for a person who has been drinking for 1-2 months to have serious withdraw symptoms? I am 100% certain that I want to quit, and the only thing stopping me is the fear of the withdraw symptoms.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you made the decision to stop drinking. One to two months is not a very long time to have been drinking, but it is always a good idea to talk to your dr. Many people detox from alcohol on their own, but it can be dangerous. No one here can tell you if it will be safe or not.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm just debating on whether or not it's a serious enough problem that I need to confront a doctor about it. It seems to me like I haven't been drinking long enough to develop a dependency on alcohol, so my withdraw symptoms (if any) shouldn't be bad. Is this poor logic?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

All i can tell you is that i am happy you chose to quit and use support..The fact you recognize you have a problem is a great step.

Welcome here..there's much information and support, and many people with much wisdom.

Keep posting...!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Karim. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to actually become physically dependent on alcohol? If I've only been drinking for a month or two, is it likely that my withdraw symptoms will be lesser than that of a person who has drank for years?

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Mark welcome to SR.

We are not doctors and thus cannot say.As a matter of fact is is against forum rules for us to give medical advice. It is great that you seem to realize that your alcohol consumption is out of hand.

Please discuss this with your physician, as withdrawals are different for everyone.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

8-9 drinks of what? Everyone is different. If it was 8-9 beers you would probably have less of a painful withdrawl than if it was 8-9 tripple bourbon and 7s but nobody can say for sure. I managed without a Doctor but that's me. Some who drank less than I did might have more serious symptoms of withdrawl.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol Detox or Withdrawal Symptoms

Alcohol detox or withdrawal symptoms that are experienced by people who have stopped drinking alcohol abruptly ("cold turkey") can range from mild to life-threatening if not properly treated. The severity of these alcohol withdrawal symptoms is usually dependent upon how "alcohol dependent" the chronic drinker has become. Those who drink heavily on a daily basis of course have developed a high level of dependency on alcohol and will almost certainly experience at least some severe withdrawal symptoms, but even those who drink alcohol daily, but not heavily and those who drink alcohol heavily but not daily, can also be chemically dependent upon alcohol.

When someone who has become "alcohol dependent" stops drinking, they will experience some level of physical discomfort. This is why it is extremely difficult for them to stop drinking "on their own" without assistance and support.

I'll Never Drink Again, Really!!!

After a particularly damaging or embarrassing alcohol binge, a seriously dependent alcohol drinker will make an oath to "never drink again" and really mean it this time.

However, when the alcohol withdrawal symptoms begin and the "craving" sets in, the body is telling the drinker that it needs more alcohol. When the physical symptoms of alcohol withdrawal begin to intensify, taking another drink simply becomes less painful than not taking one or so it seems at the time. Thus, the viscous, repetitive cycle of binge drinking, sobering up, emerging remorseful and swearing off again, only to drink again when the pain gets too bad, begins and repeats over and over again.

The Shakes, Sweats, Nausea, Headache, Rapid Heart Beat and Increased Blood Pressure

For some, who are less chemically dependent, withdrawal symptoms might be as "mild" as merely getting the shakes, the sweats or night sweats -- perhaps nausea, headache, anxiety, a rapid heart beat and increased blood pressure.

Although these alcohol withdrawal symptoms are uncomfortable and irritating, they are not necessarily dangerous. But they are often accompanied by the "craving" for more alcohol, making the decision to continue abstinence much more difficult to make without counseling or support.

Even the "morning after" hangover of someone who only occasionally drinks to excess, is actually a mild form of alcohol withdrawal from the excesses of the night before, as the alcohol content of their blood begins to drop. The symptoms can appear within a few hours after not drinking.

More Serious - Hallucinations and Seizures

Within six to 48 hours after not drinking, hallucinations may develop. These usually are visual hallucinations but they can also involve sounds and smells. They can last for a few hours up to weeks at a time. Also within this time frame after quitting convulsions or seizures can occur, which is the point at which alcoholism and alcohol withdrawal becomes dangerous if not medically treated.

Very Serious - The DT's (Delirium Tremens)

Alcoholism and it's withdrawal symptoms may progress to delirium tremens (DT's) after three to five days without alcohol. The symptoms of DT's include profound confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, hyperactivity and extreme cardiovascular disturbances. This condition causes shifts in your breathing, your circulation and your temperature control. It can cause your heart to race or can cause your blood pressure to increase dramatically and it can cause serious dehydration.

Once DT's begin, there is no known medical treatment to stop them. Grand mal seizures, heart attacks and stroke can occur during the DT's, all of these serious alcohol withdrawal symptoms can be fatal to an alcoholic.

(I had to close the window and lost the source of this article.)
Old 10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, reading that just scared the pants off of me.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hello and welcome..

Sorta off topic but do you know how I knew I REALLY was an alcoholic? I had a nasty withdrawal. Nothing like that to let ya know just how addicted you are!

Call your doc. Better to err on the safe side. You can do this!

Karen
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hi!

Please check out this link for
information on drinking.

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm#14

Good to see you are planning for a helathy future.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR and please do go talk with your doctor, they are best able to know how to go forward.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've felt okay since stopping and i was drinking for 29 years.Everyones different and even though you have only been drinking a short time, it's already become an increasing habit.Good luck with tackling it.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, still doing fine. No symptoms of withdraw right now. I don't think it's going to be a problem for me to stop drinking, as the only reason I drank was to counter my anxiety disorder, not because I was physically dependent on it. I am currently in therapy to try to find better ways to cope with it. I will continue to keep you all updated.

One thing I was wondering about was this: I read that the withdraw symptoms are usually at their peak 24 hours into it. Does this mean from your last drink, or the last time you were physically intoxicated? I had a glass of wine at about 8 last night, but I haven't been intoxicated since Sunday night.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it means the last time you had alcohol in your body.

Again, talk to your dr if you're worried and keep reading and posting.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just wanted to welcome you to this great place...

Keep posting, so glad you found us....
Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm glad I found you guys too! The whole reason I decided to start drinking was to cope with my anxiety. After not even 2 months of drinking, I feel pretty confident that I can learn to control it. I'm in college, so I don't want to eliminate drinking altogether, I just want to stop drinking on weekdays. I feel confident that after I get through these first few days of not drinking, I'll be able to control it. I'm starting to wonder if I will even have any withdraw symptoms, given the short time I drank for and the fact that I haven't had any so far.

I don't think I'm alcohol dependent right now, and my logic behind that is I have no craving for it, and it's been almost 24 hours since the last time I drank, and it was only one glass of wine. The only reason I'm tempted to have a drink is because I'm afraid of the withdraw symptoms, not because I want to get intoxicated.

Did alcoholism ever start like this for any of you?

When you first quit drinking, what was the first 24 hours or so like for you? When did the withdraw symptoms start to pick up? I've read that they peak at 24 hours after you've stopped drinking.

Thanks again for all of your help, it is much appreciated!

Mark
Old 10-09-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. If you are an alcoholic, you will not be able to control your drinking. Maybe now it will seem like it, but as time goes by, things will start to slip. If you're not an alcoholic, then you should have no trouble. A lot of people start drinking to self-medicate for some reason and then end up alcoholics. I am one of them. I became addicted very, very quickly and then I had a second problem to deal with.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hmm, that's something I hadn't thought of, whether or not I'm actually an alcoholic. I definitely abused alcohol for a period of about a month, but it was to cope with my anxiety, which I'm feeling better about daily. I'm a musician in a band (if you couldn't tell by my name), and there is usually some pretty heavy drinking on Fridays and Saturdays when we have gigs. I think my course of action is going to be to get through these next few days without drinking, then probably drink on Friday and Saturday. I am confident that when Sunday and next week rolls around, I won't want to drink. Would you consider someone who drinks 2 nights a week to be an alcoholic?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some alcoholics only drink a few times a year. It's what happens when you drink and how it affects you, that helps you to decide if you're an alcoholic or not. When you start drinking, is it easy for you to stop? Do you ever regret things you said or did when you were drinking? Is alcohol having a negative effect on any parts of your life? These are some of the questions that will tell you whether or not you're an alcoholic.