Notices

Counselor told me to continue to drink for now

Old 10-01-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counselor told me to continue to drink for now

After decades of heavy drinking, I finally took the first step and saw an addiction counselor.

When I told him how much I've been drinking lately, he said that his first thought was to have me check into a hospital so that they could monitor me. I'm self employed, though, and work is already unsteady. So that's not an option.

He suggested that I continue to drink, although he suggested I drink half or less than what I have been, until I talk to my doctor about medication.

Has anyone else received this sort of advice?

Also, I've been taking Valium for several years to treat anxiety. I've read that Valium can be used to treat withdrawal symptoms and possible seizures. Has anyone else used Valium for this?

This is my first time with all this, so I appreciate any feedback.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd go get a second opinion. If you had the ability to drink half or less than you usually do, you wouldn't need a counselor.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i had pill for every ill and i was sick alot.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Fitz - I was told by the people in the detox hospital, when I finally went, I should NEVER have tried to get off it alone after my decades of heavy drinking. They said I could've had a stroke, heart attack, or seizure from the sudden withdrawal. (Sorry to be repetitious - I just said this in another post today...) It's hard doing this without medical coverage. I had it at the time I went to detox, and BlueCross said I had to leave after only 3 days!! (To keep the cost down.) At least I got to go and get "some" help, though it was a bit lame. Best wishes to you, Fitz
Old 10-01-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my opinion, that drs opinion will not work and you should move on to another dr who understands addiction. Believe me, if I could have drunk half of what I did, I would have. I tried countless times and I couldn't do it. Alcoholics cannot control their drinking. If it's not medically safe for you to stop cold turkey on your own, then go to an ER or detox centre and be safe.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I wasn't told to drink half of what I was drinking, but I was told to not stop until I was ready to check into detox and be monitored during withdrawal. I checked into detox the next day.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As you are mixing Valium and alcohol...
you are already playing a deadly game.

That's why a medically supervised de tox
is the safe way to go.
De tox is usually 3 days.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was told today to keep drinking until I enter detox because the insurance company will not pay for it if you are able to quit on your own! Can you believe it? I don't drink during the week, but binge on weekends, but I have stopped that but I won't tell the insurance company! I enter detox in one week (hopefully) so I am just going to take it very easy until then - but what a racket!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so glad you are heading to de tox.
Smart move skigirl!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wow, sounds like you have to put out a fire with gasoline.
Get a support group asap and get into dextox
Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post about what the counselor told me.

When I told him I couldn't afford to be in detox, he suggested that I talk to my doctor. The counselor specializes in addiction, and was highly recommended.

His suggestion was that I drink as little as possible until I'm able to talk to my doctor about dosages for valium. He wasn't suggesting mixing the two. He was very clear that he was concerned about me having a seizure if I tried to quit cold turkey without any medical consultation.

I'll talk to the doctor tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, fitz. let us know what your doc has to say! recovery is possible, k
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Fitz sadly in this day and age things have started to do a 180 degree turn when it comes to detox and insurance companies, I had to do the medical detox as well. I was lucky I did have insurance that did cover it ONE TIME!!! Get it right then or die!

I was quite surprised the night before I went into detox to discover that I was so tired of drinking that I simply drank what I normally drank instead of trying to tie one on for the last time!!! LOL

BTW once you get enough post in PM me, I have something to share you may find very helpful.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, last night I had just four beers, which is a lot less than I usually drink. The night before last I had five, which is also less than half of what I usually drink.

I talked to my doctor today (my shrink, actually), and he said that we would start with 20 mg's of Valium in the morning, 20 mg's late afternoon, and then 20 mg's before bedtime.

The doc told me the warning signs of a seizure: hands shaking an inch or more (he said 1/4" or so would be normal); incoherency or not remembering things; or very cloudy thinking.

If I could do the detox route, I would. But, as I said, I'm self-employed, and I need to keep bringing in money as much as possible. As it is, I had to drain the last few dollars from my retirement savings just to help pay the bills this month. We now have no money left in savings.

I do freelance photography for a studio here in town. If I was unavailable for any length of time when they called with a job, they'd just can me. I have a shoot coming up the week of the 15th, and I'm just praying that I'll be okay with that.

Today will be the first day without any alcohol. I'm nervous, but hopeful.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I keep seeing everyone saying Detox is the only way. What about that person that literally can't go into detox? I consider myself one of those persons. I'm in college, I'm active in a ton things that I can't miss out on, and I have to worry about my grades. Hey Professor, I'm in Detox isn't an acceptable reason to miss a test. I'm on my 2nd day of quitting, I'm usually a weekend binger, and I'm feeling OK. I have had a few episodes of some sketchy shakes but other than that I'm doing alright. I just feel like I'm doing something wrong when I keep seeing people say detox, detox, detox. I feel like for a lot of us, that is only a viable option UNLESS you've completely hit rock bottom and you have nothing to lose as it is. If you're one of those people that isn't at rock bottom but can sense it will be coming and you stop right then. What is wrong with quitting on your own?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Careful Fitz !

I was given valium too for 'self-detox'. I found it went real well with a Vodka chaser

The next time I saw the Dr, it was "Well, no more valium for you...."

Fitx AND Mania, let me also point out that if you don't make recovery a priority now, that recovery will soon make itself become a priority. You're gonna have to do it eventually, why not at least try it while it's still on your terms ?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fitx AND Mania, let me also point out that if you don't make recovery a priority now, that recovery will soon make itself become a priority. You're gonna have to do it eventually, why not at least try it while it's still on your terms ?
That's exactly what I'm doing. All I'm saying is my withdrawl symptoms aren't to the point where they're taking over my life. I just feel sometimes people's withdrawl symptoms aren't so severe where they can actually just stop drinking and recover on their own. I'm not suggesting that everyone can do that, all I'm saying if you don't consume alcohol everyday but you feel you drink too much, you can take a stand and kick the bottle. I'm on my 2nd day, I realize I'm still at the beginning but i know I can do this on my own without making it take over my life completely. I can live sober without the bottle and without taking a week off in a hospital
Old 10-02-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fitzpatrick View Post
Well, last night I had just four beers, which is a lot less than I usually drink. The night before last I had five, which is also less than half of what I usually drink.

I talked to my doctor today (my shrink, actually), and he said that we would start with 20 mg's of Valium in the morning, 20 mg's late afternoon, and then 20 mg's before bedtime.

The doc told me the warning signs of a seizure: hands shaking an inch or more (he said 1/4" or so would be normal); incoherency or not remembering things; or very cloudy thinking.

If I could do the detox route, I would. But, as I said, I'm self-employed, and I need to keep bringing in money as much as possible. As it is, I had to drain the last few dollars from my retirement savings just to help pay the bills this month. We now have no money left in savings.

I do freelance photography for a studio here in town. If I was unavailable for any length of time when they called with a job, they'd just can me. I have a shoot coming up the week of the 15th, and I'm just praying that I'll be okay with that.

Today will be the first day without any alcohol. I'm nervous, but hopeful.
Flat out..you can't pay your bills if you are dead. Not meaning to sound harsh. That is a bunch of valium a day mixed with alcohol. Please, be careful. Please check with another medical physician about the amount of valium you are taking per day, with the amount of alcohol you are consuming to avoid withdrawal. Even stopping the alcohol, it still is a large amount of valium. This seems to be how very bad things happen to very good people that are trying to do their best.

Thanks,
mtnmagic
Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Thumbs up

I'm a Recovering Alcoholic/Addict with a little over 2 years Clean AND Sober. I just discovered this site a few days ago and a few threads have really jumped out at me. What I'm about to say is from experience.

For those who say that they can't afford to miss work or class to go into detox - a job or a degree isn't worth much when you're dead. I'm not saying this to be a smart #*@^, quite the opposite. I tried to detox myself at home and ended up seizing out continuously over about a 9 hour period. Luckily my neighbor came by to ask me for a cigarette, knowing I was home and got worried when I didn't answer the door. I was rushed to the hospital. I had no insurance whatsoever and if it is medically necessary a hospital has to admit you until you are out of danger. You won't be kept until all the symptoms are gone but they will get you through the danger period. I have met many people during 12 Step calls who needed help right then and went with some to the ER. A hospital will not turn someone away who is truly in withdrawls.

And to the individual who has taken Valium for some time now. If you need medication to help with withdrawls, you will most likely need a different benzo to help you. Your body is used to the Valium and I doubt that this will help you. And for God's sakes, please don't mix the two anymore. This is extremely dangerous!

I hope no one thinks I'm being cruel. If this post will help save one life then that's the reason I am on here.

Also, if you think you are unique and can't quit, please know that I used for 32 years before I finally can enjoy a life without any drugs or alcohol. I began using at the age of 11 and was 43 years old when I went into detox for the final time. I was beyond rock bottom. I wanted to die. I couldn't take anymore. Believe me, hope is found in AA/NA.Life is found in AA/NA.

My Prayers to all.

Sobriety Date July 25, 2005
Old 10-02-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of the replies.

Just to be clear: I'm not taking alcohol and Valium together. I started taking the Valium today, but stopped drinking last night. I won't mix the two.

I've been taking 20 mg's of Valium every morning for many years. On rare ocassions in the past I've taken 40 mg's or more (when I was having panic attacks).

While I have confidence in my doctor and in the addiction counselor, I'm also keeping a close watch on how I feel. My doctor explained the symptoms of an oncoming seizure, and I've alerted my wife to those. Also, we have a major hospital just five minutes away.

I don't think the addiction counselor and my doctor would have agreed to this approach if they didn't think it would work. But, of course, I'm new to this. If they're wrong, into detox I go.