Notices

Counselor told me to continue to drink for now

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I didn't have the $$$ or any other means for detox either.
I went through a local clinic, and woked out with the Doctor there a way to keep myself medically monitored, while trying to educate myself on addiction, and learning a new job. I understand to a point what has been said here about expense, but a doctor will work with you ...

what matters more than anything is your own level of commitment.

I was and still am a year later, committed to a program of recovery above all other things.

While I think it'd would have been grand to have had the advantage of a detox, I see now that exactly what needed to happen - did. I'm glad you came on and cleared up the confusion about what was going on. If your'e committed - there's little that can stop you.

Oh yeah - welcome aboard!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManiaMan View Post
I keep seeing everyone saying Detox is the only way. What about that person that literally can't go into detox? I consider myself one of those persons. I'm in college, I'm active in a ton things that I can't miss out on, and I have to worry about my grades. Hey Professor, I'm in Detox isn't an acceptable reason to miss a test.
That's not true. You can talk to someone in charge of your department, explain that you have an alcohol problem and put your studies on hold until you resolve the problem. A college will allow you to temporarily withdraw until the next semester/year and not penalize your GPA.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

even a year later - it has yet to cease to amaze me the lengths that people go to , or the doors that open to you, when you're honest about being in recovery and honest in general about what you're doing.

I ageree about the grades - I've seen it happen.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi,

I would have been on a search for Drs' like yours...They could justify my drinking and use of medication...

Detox was my only way out of addiction...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

By the way, you can become very used to valium-so much so that it ceases to work-much.

Drinking together with it-well I am in no position to comment, as I have done both and am not dead yet. For me, I have been cutting back the last few weeks, after a very scary incident with the drugs/alcohol. Although I am not clean yet, it is better today, and maybe I can meak it. the rest of the day.

I don't think quitting cold turkey is the best solution...

Alyce
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I will share this because I do not want to see any one killing them selfs detoxing with out medical supervision that needs it.

If you need to detox and have no insurance feel free to PM me and I will share with you how to get detoxed for free.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks again for the replies.

I don't know why some posters are still thinking that I'm mixing alcohol and Valium.

Last night was a little uncomfortable (sweaty palms, etc), but not too bad. I've read that day #3 is the worst, so I'm preparing myself for that. I haven't been able to sleep the last three nights, but I've had insomnia for years, so that's nothing new.

One question, though: is having Neil Diamond songs running through your head part of the detox experience?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

One question, though: is having Neil Diamond songs running through your head part of the detox experience?
You could do worse, Fitz...for instance, Queen's, "We Will Rock You", over, and over, and over again!!!