Notices

how do I know if I need help

Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation how do I know if I need help

Hi all, please forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure if I need help. I have been "using" doctor prescribed, pharmacy filled, legally obtained narcotics for over 4 years. I have a kidney condition that is very painful, and I "need" the medication to get through the day. I am currently on 150mcg of Fentynl every 48 hrs, I get 200
5mg oxycodone tablets per month. I have been on this same dose for all 4 years, however I have been "running out" about 2-3 days ahead of the next prescription for the past 4-5 months, and in the last 2 months, I run out a week before my next script is due. My husband has a vicodin prescription, and I have found myself using his during that last week. All through life I have been a drug user, which I guess amounts to abuse, but now I find myself so confused in trying to figure out the difference between use and abuse. I can't talk to my doctor about this because one screw up and you are out of the program, pain managment, and I can't risk that, because I can't function without the meds, drugs, whatever I should call them. I tell myself so many different things to get through the day, that I am not even sure what is real anymore. What do you do if you have a valid reason to use opiates, think you are addicted, well I know I am addicted because I have gone through the withdrawls, no fun, Can you learn to live with this kind of pain, without meds, or how do you do this...I know this site is for people who are trying to recover, and maybe I am in the wrong place, and I apologize to anyone who is offended by my appearance here.

I guess the question is How do you know if you are in trouble with the medically prescribed pain medication, and what do you do if you have to have the meds to survive, and not abuse them?
Thanks for any answers.
Kitkat
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Kitkat the first question you need to answer is "Am I taking these meds as prescibed to me by a doctor?"

Sounds like the answer may be no, you really need to see your doctor and tell your doctor the entire truth. You are not alone in this, there are millions with the same issue, there is help, but you need to talk to your doctoe ASAP.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello Kit and welcome to SR

Any drug is progressive in the amount it takes to do the job it should.
Any drug is progressive in the addictive end of things as well.

You will get different opinions and understandings from people who reply.
Take what is needed and ignore any that may be negative. Don't take it personal. It will just be people sharing their opinion.

In my opinion... you should talk things over with your Dr and unless they are doing more then writing an RX for pain managment... maybe look into seeking a different program. There are pain managment programs that strive to deal with pain..without drugs. A balance between the two may be a solution?
Even at risk of being taken out of the program you are in... I would still say..talk with your Dr about it.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I have been on this same dose for all 4 years, however I have been "running out" about 2-3 days ahead of the next prescription for the past 4-5 months, and in the last 2 months, I run out a week before my next script is due. My husband has a vicodin prescription, and I have found myself using his during that last week. All through life I have been a drug user, which I guess amounts to abuse, but now I find myself so confused in trying to figure out the difference between use and abuse.
Well, you definitely have a "drug dependency", which doesn't necessarily make you a "drug user", since they are officially prescribed. However...the fact that you're "running out" means you're using more than the prescribed amount. And, then, you're substituting your husband's...so, you can be considered "an abuser" of drugs. A definite No-No, and you need to fess up to your doctor. Maybe you need a change of meds, if the current one isn't doing the job it used to.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, kit - keep posting! blessings, k