Notices

alcohol in foods?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol in foods?

Hi everybody! I hope you're all having a good day today.
Just a thought i'm having at the moment, possibly because I'm hungry . To do this properly is it neccesary to eliminate alcohol from foods?
As an example, before i relapsed when i had been sober for 6 and half years, i did used to take vinigar on my salads and i wouldn't say no to a Tirramizu (Italian (i think?) desert. Kind of like a spongy cake containing brandy). I also used to occasionally eat veal cooked in a white wine or vodka sauce.
Is that ok or would that be cheating?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

aldo, i grew up in the restraunt biz...

all i can say...

dont put the dog in the fight!

good wishes

xxoo, rz
Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never use alcohol when cooking anymore because it means buying it and bringing it into the house. I substitue apple juice, cranberry juice, chicken brother, anything that adds the flavor I'd like.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I think a lot depends, too, on your length and strength of sobriety, your motives, the circumstances. Early in my sobriety, I accidentally ate a piece of rum-soaked fruit cake, and thought I had "slipped". My sponsor explained that, because I hadn't actually drank and it was not intentional, it was OK.

I have cooked with alcohol, though not often, and don't keep it in the house. I use wine vinegar on my salads, but wouldn't think of chugging it. My favorite meal at an Italian restaurant is veal marsala, and I still celebrate almost 28 years of continuous sobriety.

Let your conscience be your guide...but, if you feel your sobriety is being jeopardized, don't do it!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

this is very interesting.
another question: if you don't use wine or balsamic vinigar on your salads what do you put on it?
i tried drinking vinigar once. it wasn't very nice
in regards to cooking with wine/alcohol i was told by a chef once that with the heat the actual alcohol evaporates and all that is left is the taste. i don't know how true that is.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i think most of the alcohol in restaurant dishes are fairly low in alcohol content, well maybe not the desserts. But like Jersey said, it's different for everyone. Honesty with yourself is the answer to your question.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I avoid foods cooked with wine, just cause wine is my DOC and I'm afraid that no matter how much is in there, I'll get the taste and my mind will start craving it. Same reason that I don't drink "no alcohol" beer. My other DOC lol.

Just examine your motives before you eat..
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I don't worry about alcohol in food, but that is just me. I have always been a proponent of every person’s sobriety being their own. If you do "cheat" it will only be yourself who you are cheating.

I don't drink. (Period, end of story). Eating enough food with alcohol used in the preparation would be more work than I wanted to go to get drunk. If I DECIDE to get drunk I will go for a drink thank you.

As always just this man's opinion. Do what you feel allows you to look at yourself in the mirror and know you are living a sober life.

Jon
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you feel like you're cheating than there's a part of you that thinks it's a bad idea.

I used to make those ( if you've ever heard of it ) beer butt chickens. I even had a beer butt chicken cooker that had 2 spots to put a can of beer then you place the chicken ( whole ) on top of the open, half empty ( guess where the other half goes ) beer cans.

I'll be the first one to say that believe me if I'm holding a can of beer, No way in hell is it making it up any chickens ass.

Just my thought on that
Old 09-27-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Okay this is the truth about Alcohol in cooking......ie IF IT IS COOKED! THE ALCOHOL JUST COMES OUT, thus leaving the flavoring not the taste of alcohol, if you still have the sickness you will over look this fact and fall flat on your face.....people have been known to have situational drunks.....what that means is I have heard of alcoholics becomming drunk off of beer ( ewewew) battered chicken...... it is impossiable......lol it is cooked out.....ask any certified chef they will tell you the same thing...........but every person is different, and Rob, baby try apple cider up the butt, omg it is awsome!
Old 09-27-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rloomer View Post
If you feel like you're cheating than there's a part of you that thinks it's a bad idea.

I used to make those ( if you've ever heard of it ) beer butt chickens. I even had a beer butt chicken cooker that had 2 spots to put a can of beer then you place the chicken ( whole ) on top of the open, half empty ( guess where the other half goes ) beer cans.

I'll be the first one to say that believe me if I'm holding a can of beer, No way in hell is it making it up any chickens ass.

Just my thought on that
Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
I don't worry about alcohol in food, but that is just me. I have always been a proponent of every person’s sobriety being their own. If you do "cheat" it will only be yourself who you are cheating.

I don't drink. (Period, end of story). Eating enough food with alcohol used in the preparation would be more work than I wanted to go to get drunk. If I DECIDE to get drunk I will go for a drink thank you.

As always just this man's opinion. Do what you feel allows you to look at yourself in the mirror and know you are living a sober life.

Jon
I love those two IF you think you are then you are....it sums it up compleately!
Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is from Food Reference and Food Facts:

ALCOHOL IN COOKING
Contrary to what most people believe, and that includes most professionals, when using beer, wine or other alcoholic beverages in recipes, a lot of alcohol is left after cooking.

Here are the facts from the Agricultural Research Service of the USDA (1989).
ALCOHOL IN COOKING
Alcohol remaining after preparation:
100% Immediate consumption
70% Overnight storage
85% Boiling liquid, remove from heat
75% Flamed
Baked or simmered:
40% after 15 min
35% after 30 min
25% after 1 hour
20% after 1.5 hour
10% after 2 hours