Notices

Day 14

Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14

Today is day 14 and instead of feeling good - I just feel kinda blah. I still feel like drinking every day and resisting it is very difficult. I`m waiting for all this joy and serenity AA says I`m supposed to get - it ain`t happening yet. I have attended a meeting. Oh well.
Sorry for the cranky post.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey DD, sorry youre feeling so 'blah'. i know you said it's been hard resisting everyday - and i know thats a great accomplishment - but havent you had some positive results from being sober?

i havent had a problem with alcohol, so i cant appreciate the difficulty in abstaining. im sure if serenity came right away after sobriety, there'd be a lot less drunks in the world. i know after i stopped smoking weed, i thought id be firing on all pistons again. but im not. it takes time for me to rebuild that muscle called 'motivation'.

id like to speak for your organs today and thank you for 14 days of sobriety.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Afraid2Succeed View Post
id like to speak for your organs today and thank you for 14 days of sobriety.
LOVE IT A2S!

Hey Daydreamer,

I can understand where you are coming from. I am working on my 12th day of sobriety. My mind is still in a fog. I am having trouble remembering things. I feel even more ADD than I when I was drinking. I thought that maybe I would be a little more motivated to do the stuff that I have to do. (Having said all of that, I am really, really glad I am not hungover now). Try not to beat yourself up. You are allowed to be a crankypants. Just be a sober one .

R
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Daydreamer,

I know that this might not help you feel better, but, it seems you are right on track as to what most recovering alcoholics feel at 14 days sober. I remember I felt like crap! I had uncontollable anxieties, insomnia and went into a month long depression. Believe it or not the urges did not bother me the first couple of months. Probably because I felt so crappy that I didn't want to look a beer much less drink it. I did however had thoughts that raced through my head that if I would just drink everything would go back to normal. I'm glad I didn't take a sip!

I now have almost 6 months sober and although it hasn't been easy I believe overall things are getting better. I have heard many use the rollercoaster ride anology to recovery and it is soooo true! But believe me its worth it!!

Do not get alarmed by the symptoms that I posted. Not everybody goes through them. I hope you are one of the lucky ones that withdrawls just don't go beyond urges. In closing, don't give in to alcohol. Its your desease that's calling you back. Give it time and I can garauntee that things will get better. Keep posting their are many wonderful knowlegdable people here that can help you get through the rough times!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Daydreamer
It takes a while for the body to clear out the rubbish and longer still for the mind to recover. You will notice a gradual improvement though. After about a month I started to feel physically stronger and able to start some exercise. I'm now approaching 2 months and I can definitely feel some clarity of thought starting to return and my moods starting to stabilize. The physical has continued to improve steadily by maintining my exercise regime. Its very early stages and from what I see from other members here the improvement will continue for a long time yet. Nevertheless I can feel something now and it feels wonderful

It happens slowly and can be hard to notice day by day. Write down clearly how you feel now and then revisit it later and compare how you feel then. I assure you that you will be surprised.

Hang in there it does get better. As for the desire to drink? Well for me it is still there - very strongly at times - but I am learning coping mechanisms. The better I feel mentally and physically the easier it is to defeat the cravings because I just want to hang on to that great feeling!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daydream,

Congratulations on 14 days!

It does take time and work to begin to feel better? What other changes have you made in your life besides stopping drinking? I think it might help you if you began to exercise or do some kind of physical activity and meditation can also help, or just spending some time alone with yourself. Try to be patient!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, it takes time.

A word of advice. "A" meeting ? It takes more than that. At 14 days I was doing 1-2 meetings a day.

I've also heard this. "It took you "X" years to get yourself into this, it's not gonna reverse itself overnight...."

Hang in there, it gets better.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Today is day 14 and instead of feeling good - I just feel kinda blah. I still feel like drinking every day and resisting it is very difficult. I`m waiting for all this joy and serenity AA says I`m supposed to get - it ain`t happening yet. I have attended a meeting. Oh well.
Sorry for the cranky post.
No apologies needed, it is important that we be honest with each other, we help each other to realize that we do not get better over night, far from it, I am way beyond the urge to drink now, the more meetings I went to, the more steps I worked and lived, the less the urge/need to drink was, some where around the 6 month point it was totally gone. That is not to say I do not still have that fleeting thought of a drink at times, but that is all they are is a mere thought that pops into my head and is gone just as quickly as it came.

I`m waiting for all this joy and serenity AA says I`m supposed to get - it ain`t happening yet. I have attended a meeting.
I had to laugh when I read that line, I wanted it all the second I walked into the rooms of AA right away, I had never been very patient and I wanted that joy and happiness the folks with 5 years or more in AA had in less then a week.

The serenity is something I had to work for, just going to one meeting did nothing for me except to let me know that there were people who had been just as miserable as I was and now they were happy!!!

I have found that I could not expect the misery and pain I had brought upon myself by drinking for 40 years to dissappear by just going to 90 meetings in 90 days, it was not going to happen, but I was sure a whole lot happier and better then I was when I first walked into the rooms and a ton happier then I was the last 10 years I drank trying to quit my way.