Thought for the Day 5/30

Old 05-30-2003, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Thought for the Day 5/30

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.
—Henri Bergson

Anything powerful can be addicting. Anything pleasurable can be addicting. Excitement can be both pleasurable and powerful. At times, adult children engage in the most destructive activities—in relationships, finance, or family—in the pursuit of excitement.

Excitement can give us a high. It can be a substitute for the more natural highs that, if not always safe, at least have some sane boundaries. Some people have found activities like skydiving, hang gliding, or white-water rafting give them more than enough excitement without a guaranteed crash landing. Even getting excited about success, about winning, or about challenging the inner obstacles to recovery provides us with a certain excitement.

There is nothing wrong with being excited about things. The task, however, is to make sure that what we get excited about has a chance to bring us genuine celebration and is not just a shortcut to disaster.

Serenity is more important to me than any thrill or pleasure.

From the book, Days of Healing Days of Joy
© 1992
Old 05-30-2003, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I like that Henri Bergson quote and good post!

Many hugs and hope too,
Tammie
Old 06-01-2003, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Danger Junkies

Just Tired - I read your amazing post with the quote by Henri Bergson.
I am an ACOA and incest survivor. I am a total danger ****.

I look back at the times in my life where I delberately (unknowing of potential consequences) put myself in emotionally and physcially dangerous circumstances.
Death wish? Don't know - Testing the fates to see if I deserved to be alive or could survive. It was definitely a high.

It's also a way of avoiding the pain you sometimes feel in stillness - or looking at your life without the swirl of activity around it.
I am going through a period of intense isolation and I feel incredibly sad and unclear about what I am doing with my life right now.

All the pieces are there - ready to be put together,The pieces are amazing -
I'm just know sure how ! Thank you for the insight of your messsage.

Thank you for reawakening my gratitude for so many things ! Many Blessings !
Daria
Old 06-02-2003, 03:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I know I too have to fight to feel contentment. That is one of the reasons why I started looking into my past. It seems like there are people who are happy where ther are. I have never had the luxury of feeling that way.

I have to actively feel grateful and remind myself daily of all the good things in my life or else I am always looking at the horizon.

Hugs,
JT