Notices

I read some of these stories and I feel...

Old 09-11-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I read some of these stories and I feel...

so very stupid.

I'm actually embarrased I posted my lame little story on here. I'm so sorry you guys. I never ever had the pain some of you have gone through. homelessness, abuse, illness, suicide attempts. This is so awful. Maybe I'm just stroking myself for something to feel bad about and I'm not an alcoholic at all, because none of this sounds familiar.
I thought I was in pain but am obviously just a wuss.

I'm sorry

Last edited by mrsmurph; 09-11-2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: needed to add something
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Murph,

When I read your introductory post, I thought 'yup, she belongs here' and also in another thread when you said you didn't play well with others.
Try not to compare your experience with others' - it's more about identification here. So if you can identify with some of the feelings, rather than the experiences, that may help you a little bit.
Nothing to be embarrassed about. You don't need to take the bus all the way to the dump to qualify. It's never too early to begin recovery - so, start where you are, why don't you?

Row
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is no "Hierarchy" amongst our ranks. Your issues are just as important to you as anothers issues are to them. Nobody has to be deemed "worthy" to hold the title, "Alcoholic".
At some point we can even be envious of a skid row type Alcoholic for any number of reasons. No stress, no house payment, no checkbook to balance, no alarm clock, etc...
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you want to stop drinking, then you're in the right place.

Our stories vary and some of us have fallen further than others. I am not able to control my drinking. If I try, I think about it too much - about when I will next drink, where, etc. I am an alcoholic and it is liberating for me to not drink.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

What they said . I read your other threads, didn't have time to reply.

You're not lame mrsmurph... your story is your own and no one's going to say you're not in as much need or pain as anyone else. You found this place for a reason... so welcome!!! Post away, read, ask questions. It's a great place for info and support. I'm glad you're here.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

recovery is different for everyone. stick around. blessings, k
Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Glad you're here before you've been subjected to homelessness, abuse, illness, and suicide attempts.
You're very fortunate.
Welcome!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by mrsmurph View Post
I never ever had the pain some of you have gone through. homelessness, abuse, illness, suicide attempts.
Well thank God for that. I haven't gone through some of those things myself, but I have no doubt that I'm an alcoholic, I've got more in common with other alcoholic than I have differences.

We've all got our own bottoms. Think of our journey in alcoholism as being on an elevator. We're all going to choose a different floor to step off on, some will choose the higher floors, others will ride this all the way to the bottom.

Please don't apologize. Just try to recognize the similarities rather than the differences.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hon every ones bottom is different, yet every one of them is reason enough to stop before it gets worse which as long as we keep drinking it will always get worse!

I did not lose a job, my home, my family, I have not been in jail, I was not abused, I have only had one accident due to drinking................................ YET!!!!

Am I an alcoholic? You darn right I am, how I drank like I did as long as I did without many of the possible consequences of drinking I do not know. I do know this, my bottom was at the top of the cliff and not at the bottom of it, I saw the bottom, I knew I was going to die.

No one is here to out do the other, if I see someone who shares a deeper bottom then mine I am just thankful that my bottom was not that deep, if I see someone with a higher bottom then mine I wish I had quit then.

Every ones bottom is not material, our bottoms are mental, our minds tell us where our bottoms are, who cares! What we all care about is helping each other recover from our individual bottom.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good place

you're in a good place w/ good people!
welcome
susan
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

A stubbed toe hurts just as much as a broken bone. One heals faster is the only difference.

We know the same pain, some of us are like dinosaurs and it took a while before we feel the pain in our brain.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

nothing i can really add except i know how ya feel... i've been to some meetings, including detox, and i realize i got off the elevator a few stories higher than others. that's ok, i'd be right there if i wasn't blessed enough to find recovery. what else? oh, i heard in a meeting a while back that if we all threw our problems in a pile, we'd probably want our own problems back. so, just be grateful. let this give you gratitude, not self-pity... trust me, no one's in AA 'cause they're a wuss. ok?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I've head alcoholism described as an equal opportunity disease, and it effects people in all walks of life...from Park Avenue to park bench. So, please don't think you have to be "as bad as" in order to qualify.

Once, after I told my story at an open meeting, I had a guy walk up to me and say, "Wow...that's a real horror story." Funny, I thought it was pretty tame by comparison to others I had heard. You see, it's all in the perception...what may seem "terrible" to you could be "small potatoes" to someone else.

Remember, "Our stories disclose, in a general way, what it used to be like, what happened, and how it is today." No "can you top this" required.