Recovery failure-sub-meth-rehab...

Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery failure-sub-meth-rehab...

I am at an extreme lost.
I love my husband more than anything. He has been addicted to opiates for about 10 years. Doing heavy doses of heroin currently. About a month ago he got 2 weeks off work to detox and had a bad experience. He ended up in a detox rehab but left the same day because the treatment they needed to do would take lke 3 mths inpatient. Right now he is functioning. He uses so he isnt sick and he works a very nice job. He is sick of doing it tho!

SO here is my problem. Since then, he has tried methadone and that doesnt work for him (he owuld need a split dose and cant **** clean to get it a take home) He recently tried subutex. It lessened the withdrawals but sent his anxiety into over drive putting him into a panic. We then later found out that the cost of using the subutex would be about a grand a month (insurance decided not to cover it) and then the dr told us that he owuld be on that for the rest of his life. WHAT ELSE IS THERE????? CAn anyone suggest any type of 'miracle detox'? HE has such a high tolerance that nothing seems to work and the only thing that would - we cant afford. We are going back to his dr on wednesday and i am going with him to ask these questions because i feel that this isnt just his addiction anymore. Its tearing me apart. I want him on anti depressants and anxiety medicine and i want a suggested detox schedule for weaning off it. Even if he gets off using, he will be tempted with relapses for the rest of his life, but we will deal with that when it comes.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Nowhere,
There is no miracle detox. The subutex is just as addictive as the opiates. So is the methadone. In my opinion the methadone is the worst. I have been on the methadone due to not being able to afford the subutex either. It took awhile for my body to adjust. Does your SO suffer from any physical pain such as back injury or something similar? I had my hip broke and my back in a car accident so the methadone helps with the pain. I am so sorry to hear you going through this pain. You will be in my prayers tonight along with so many others. If he could just try to stay on the methadone it might work. It has been proven to work but like I said it has its own hell to come off of. I am not looking forward to that but I want to be clean and sober so I guess that is what is driving me. Viki
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am learning that all the detox drugs are just as addictive. THe methadone doesnt work well because by the afternoon- he is starting to withdrawal and cannot make it to the next morning. SOmetimes i feel like he is being a baby-but i dont know what it is like. He never had any major physical pain-only now the withdrawal symptoms.

thank you for the prayers-i feel like i am starting to turn numb to the whole situation and that would make things worse if that were to happen.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((Nowhere)))))

You both are suffering with this addiction.

That's why he needs the inpatient rehab.......one day at time. Things will get better.

If he had a brain tumor you would take him to a neurosurgeon for surgery. He has a very serious drug addiction. He needs inpatient rehabilitation by qualified professionals.

He needs to surrender his way and do it the way that they suggest.
No yeah buts..............

Thanks to recovery we learn to live in the solution instead of the problem.
Focus on the solution and the solution will be clear. Focus on the problem and the problem will get bigger.

Your AH is fortunate to have you by his side. Take care of you.
Remember the three C's.
You didn't Cause it.
You Can't Control.
You Can't Cure it.

I hope that you get help for you too.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nowhere,

My stepson is on the methadone. He is also a herion addict. Your SO can have the level increased if he is having withdraw. But he has to stick it out and work with his counselor on it until they get it to the right level. He may have to level off for a day or two to get it right.

But like Sobercuse just said... he needs inpatient. He finds a way to get what he needs when he needs something, so why is this any less?

You need to support him but you can not baby step him through the motions. Like potty training a child. You can do it by 6 months but the child is not potty trained the parents are. Or you can let the child grow and master the skills of learning how to feel the need and urge and how to get there in time. This is different but the same. He has to want it. If he wants it nothing will stand in his way. Any job that is great and wonderful will be waiting on the other side for him to get well. As one of these fine ladies has said a million times before... hands off the addict. You can not make him do what he does not want to do. If he wants to get better he has to work out a way. He has the tools and has the information, he has to get in there and take action.

Be careful. God Bless. My prayers and heart strings go out to you.

(((HUG)))

-Broken
Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Hi and welcome
I'm the mother of a heroin addict, my son is on suboxone, I'm going to guess it's similar to subutex. anyway, the drs visit is $65 a visit which my son is down to 1 visit a month so thats not too bad, the pills are expensive but his insurance covers those. he takes 2 pills a day, there are no side effects for my son, meaning he isn't drugged up looking or tired looking.
now that I've said that, I agree with sobercuse, if he has been on high doses of heroin he needs the inpatient rehab. If his work was good enough to give him the 2 weeks I'm sure they will agree to a rehab, I think alot of places accept the fact that addicts need this kind of help. But read on sweetie because you need help and support as well, this is his addiction and he needs to step up to the plate and not wait for someone to tell him all that he needs to do.

take care of yourself and good luck
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone~ I kinda figured that he was just making excuses for treatment to not work. He has been able to take advantage of the fact that i have not been down that road before. That is why I am attending his appt on wed with his subutex dr. We find out at the end of this week if the insurance will cover the pills or not. If they do and we can get him on a high enough dose to feel comfortable then that would be ideal. He has quit before, so i dont understand why it is so hard this time for him to quit. He cant stand the withdrawals- but i told him he needs to tough it out.
When he talks about his pain i almost want to laugh because I had a very troublesome painful pregnancy that ended with an emergency c section. I didnt take any meds while I was pregnant and didnt even take any painkillers after the surgery- if i can do that, he can do this!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just sending some hugs your way.
Terri