a year later and i'm back

Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking a year later and i'm back

I haven't been to this board in over a year and I decided to come back today. Not really sure why. I just wanted to see how all the people that had helped me in my time of need were still doing.

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but my mom was at the very bottom. She had what I thought was end stage liver disease (and turned out it was). I fought for months to get her to seek treatment. I called 911, I had two interventions and I finally gave up. She moved four hours from me. Myself, my close friends, my boyfriend and some of her friends all came to say our goodbyes before she left. We all honestly thought it would be the last time we would see her alive.

A friend of her's (a recovering alcoholic who had terminal lung cancer) went to live with her in the Outer banks (where she moved). He eventually got her to understand what a mess she was, distended belly (looked 9 months pregnant), swollen ankles, feet and legs, blood in her stools, vomiting, massive hair loss, etc etc.....he called the hospital and had an ambulance come to pick her up. She went through detox at the hospital and had a nurse come and live with her for about a month afterwards (she couldn't walk and needed someone to help her out of bed, to go to the bathroom, she was wheelchair bound for weeks). She ended up needing in home care for about three or four months after that. Her doctor point blank told her (in front of me and my boyfriend) at the hospital that if she were to leave and have even one sip of alcohol, at any time, that she wouldn't live to see this time next year.

That was about a year and a half ago. I am pleased to say that my mom has been sober the entire time. Not sure how she does it. She doesn't attend any meetings (which she probably should). She has managed not to drink through the loss of her friend (who got her sober) and he was living with her....he died with her sitting next to him (hospice care). She managed not to drink through his subsequent memorial service (three months later....we wanted to do it on the beach when the weather was nice). She has managed to continue her soberity through her brother suing her for extra money out of my grandmother's estate. She also has managed to keep the wine at bay through her best friend getting into a horrible accident. All of this over the past year 1/2. I am amazed at what an amazing mom I have. It had been over 20 years since I had seen anyone even close to this appear from my mom.

I came on here today to see how some of you were doing (Jazzman, guyinNC, deserteyes, luvmydogs, etc) and to post this message. This board was an incredible source of support through the hardest time in my entire life. I never would have thought I would have had the strength to go through those times with my mom without this board. And I just wanted to say....we are a case for hope. My mom made it....but I wouldn't have made it without you guys.

Jenny
Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, what a remarkable story. So glad to see it have a happy ending. Is she still in end stage liver disease? Is it reversable?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Unconditional love

That is so wonderful! I am so happy for you and your mom. It is great to hear from you again.
I have also moved on and I have another man in my life now who is truly wonderful. Its so good to know there really are happy endings!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

*PMFFFF*
*getting up from floor*

Hey Jen! I was thinking about you a while back wondering how you were doing. Glad the hear your Mom has embraced sobriety and is doing well. It's good to see you drop by!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Jen that is an amazing story! So glad to hear such a happy one! I bet you are proud of her! That truly is wonderful!!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha Ha Ha....I figured that would get you Jazzman....
She's doing wonderfully....Things have changed in my life, besides watching my mom finally embrace life without the restrictions of alcohol. I have become a mom and the most unbelevable part of it all...my son's birthday is my mom's sober anniversary. The day she checked herself into the hospital...a year later her first grandson was born. Life can at times be truly amazing. I can honestly say my son helped keep her off the Port bottle. He will probably never understand the impact he has had my mom's life.

As for end stage liver disease...there is no recovering from it. Eventually my mom will have to have a liver transplant. Unfortunately for an alcoholic, you have to be sober at least 6 months to a year and get written letters from a doctor or two saying how you've changed your life around. At this point her doctors are not too concerned about getting her on the waiting list, as she still has some function of her liver. She is on countless medicines and has to watch what she eats. She is on a "water pill" which helps control the water gain that accompanies the liver disease (this is what causes the swollen abdomen, legs, ankles and feet). She can not have any salt in her diet what so ever...it's so strict that she even has to watch her "natural" salt retention (like in milk). The "water pill" is actually a diuretic so gaining back weight was a little hard for her. She now weighs a whopping 110lbs, where as when she was admitted to the hospital she was 93lbs. But she looks fantastic...her hair has grown back, her skin has color, she can hold a conversation again, walk on her own, etc etc....she's finally living life.

Jazz...how is life??? Let's play catch up....it's been a while. Nice picture....no more guitar????
Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Thanks for sharing that Jen.

Your mom's story sounds so similar to my mother's.
Even though we're all "grown up" we still need our moms, huh?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ICU

Jenny,

I certainly do remember you! I'm so glad to see you back.

And what wonderful news about your Mom! That just warms my heart! I bet you are just beaming with happiness!!!

Thanks so much for bringing us all up to speed.

Don't be a stranger, ok!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by jen928 View Post
I have become a mom....
*PMFFFF*
*getting up from floor again*

Well you're just full of news today aren't you? Outstanding news all the way around!
So glad you checked in!

I took a break from SR for a while but still stop in from time to time. And I still have the guitar thing too, just picking up some new hobbies like scuba. My 21 yr old just got back from a summer intern gig at Google and will be heading back to school in NY this Saturday. My 14 yr old is... well... a teenager.. (ugh!) Milo's fine and I'm just staying out of trouble.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ICU

You have a little boy? I missed that somehow. Congratulations!

Ok, so, where are the pix of this new little guy in yor life???
Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi,Jen! Great to see you back and with the great news about your mother. I have wondered what ever happened with her, and am glad to know!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
*PMFFFF*
*getting up from floor again*

Well you're just full of news today aren't you? Outstanding news all the way around!
So glad you checked in!
Yep, I've got a little boy. His name is Miles and he's the first grandchild on my side of the family. He is five months old and just cut his second tooth. He's got redish brown hair and big blue eyes. He's a great little guy. I've tried to add his pic to my profile, lets see if it works.

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
I took a break from SR for a while but still stop in from time to time. And I still have the guitar thing too, just picking up some new hobbies like scuba. My 21 yr old just got back from a summer intern gig at Google and will be heading back to school in NY this Saturday. My 14 yr old is... well... a teenager.. (ugh!) Milo's fine and I'm just staying out of trouble.
Aw....Milo.....I forgot about him.
Congrats to your 21 year old....sounds like an awesome opportunity!!!!
And as for the 14 year old....teenagers....I am about to head into the world as well. My "step-son" is about to turn 11 in two weeks. We are getting dangerously close to teenagedom. SCARY!!!!

I am so glad to be back....I still need to work on my own codependent issues but it sure is nice to have my Mom back. We will actually be driving down to visit her tomorrow night for the long weekend. It will be great to be down there for four days. She's really looking forward to having us. Now that she's got her grandson, I don't think she could be happier with life.