Notices

Brain zaps during sleep

Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain zaps during sleep

I had these a while back, before panic attacks I think. I would be asleep, wake up, and while trying to fall back asleep it was as if my brain would zap itself like an electrical shock to prevent me from sleeping even though I was physically and mentally exhausted (Or really tired anyways). Long ago it was quite scary not knowing what they were. They disappeared. However, yesterday while napping it happened. It didn't bother me so much since I had them before. However after sleeping last night, I woke up this morning to find myself in the same situation. Trying to sleep but then getting those brain zaps. I tried massaging my neck and stretching, as tired as I was, but I never got back to sleep fully since by the time I could, it was time to wake up for work. Anyone know what this is. I'm sure ages ago I brought it up with my doctor, but I can't remember what he said. I'll ask my new doctor next Monday when I see him.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Have you changed your meds recently?
That can lead to those "brain zaps" you describe. I may be wrong, but, I think a reduction or cessation of the SSRIs cause it.
Please call your doctor. You don't have to wait to have a question such as this answered.
And let us know. We care.

Shalom!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A few weeks back he added another sleep med called hallucion or something like that. I have serious sleep problems, and because of work I don't have a regular sleep pattern. He said "Take this when you need to sleep but can't." Unfortunately that's turned into all the time. He also said to take an extra 0.4 grams of xanax if I still can't sleep, which I don't normally do. But this is all at night...during the day my meds are the same. I wonder if the meds like this or the change can carry into the next day, and start weeks after a change in meds.

I can't call my doctor today, he's closed at 3pm. Tomorrow I will visit him though.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I only had those when I was getting off Lexapro. Every time I lowered my dosage they'd come and go for a couple days, but it was around the clock; not just at night. Sooooo...I don't know what to tell you.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No luck in getting through to my doctor. It's his day-off (Of all days). It's a small clinic. Anyways, I haven't had them since. Hopefully it was just a one day thing.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad you don't appear to have any more issues.

I used to get the zaps when I took Paxil. They were unrelenting and debilitating. I ended up asking my physician to take me off of the meds and have been meds free for 3 years. I wouldn't recommend that for everyone but in talking to my doctor, we both agreed for my situation stopping the medication was necessary.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Those zaps are terrible, they started to me after a night of 12 hours of heavy drinking, the 2nd day couldn't sleep a minute, as soon as I was about to sleep, it was like a shortcut waking me back. I could not brake the damn circle, it was terrible. They eventually subsided, although my sleep is not as good as it used to be, it is now almost impossible for me to sleep during the day, but at least I can at night.