Notices

Efexor-XR

Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Efexor-XR

Hello to my Anxiety Forum family on S & R,

Just an update on my situation at the moment, as I have been using dial-up Internet lately & it is soooo slow which has limited my contact with everyone here on Sober & Recovery.......

My Psychiatrist & I have made a mutual decision to wean me very slowly off Valium or Diazapam & he has referred me to a Psychologist to learn how to cope with my Panic Attacks, without the use of Benzodiazepines.....

I am reconsidering my decision to not take Anti-Depressants & I am going to start taking Efexor-XR soon, but I have to be sure that it doesn't conflict with any of my other meds....

I am on Solian 400mgs for Paranoid Psychosis & 200mgs of Epilim which is now used to treat mania....

I read on a pharmaceutical pamphlet that Epilim shouldn't be taken with SSRIs, but I'm going to do some more research on the subject, as my Psychiatrist said that Efexor-XR would be okay to take with Epilim....

I don't think Efexor-XR is an SSRI, but I'm not sure yet....

God bless everyone on Sober & Recovery,

Last edited by Spacecat; 06-13-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake....
Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I took EffexorXR for a year, and unless I'm mistaken it's definitely an SSRI. It helped immensely with anxiety attacks. I sincerely hope you find something that works well for you.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Determined

Hi
I too got prescribed Effexor XR and it is a variant of an ssri I think instead of just woprking on the serotonin uptake inhibitors it also works on an other chemical uptake inhibitor too one that begins with "nor" and ends in "phine"???????

It didnt do me any great favours but my doc did say it was EXCELLENT for most peolple with panic attacks.

Thinking of you.

CW
x
Old 06-14-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

It maybe norepinephrine that u are talking about Wolf. I am a big fan of Effexor, I have been on different doses over about 5 years. I also got off the control substances and like to avoid them when ever possible. Worth a try, good luck....
Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Determined

Originally Posted by reader View Post
It maybe norepinephrine that u are talking about Wolf.

Thats the very thing reader Thank you!!!!!!

I think its also known as a NSSRI???

I think its worth a shot, its just something I dont like but doc has discussed varying doses etc and I'm back on Mon.

How are things with you Spacecat?

CW
Old 06-14-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Anxiety Forum Family on S& R,

Thankyou Cyberwolf, Astro & Kerry for replying to my post.....

To answer your question Cyberwolf, I have been doing okay & I mean literally, just okay......

We are in the middle of a very cold winter here in Australia & I find that Winter depresses me every year, but I'm doing quite well, considering....

I like my new medication, for it helps me to sleep.....My new med is Epilim.....They use it to treat Mania now....

God Bless,
Old 06-14-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Effexor is an SNRI....so it works on 5HT (serotonin) and NE (Norepinephrine).

-p
Old 06-17-2007, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do not believe Effexor is an SSRI. The 3 major SSRI's include Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac although I may be wrong.

I also have HORRIBLE panic attacks and there are meds you can take besides the benzos. I do take Effexor and it does help me. Make sure you see a dr that knows about tapering off of benzos. Benzo withdrawal can be extremely dangerous. I am going through it right now.

Best of luck to you.

Liz
Old 06-17-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizrox View Post
I do not believe Effexor is an SSRI. The 3 major SSRI's include Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac although I may be wrong.
Correct. A couple other popular SSRIs are Citalopram (Celexa, and a few other brand names) and it's partner in crime Escitalopram (Lexapro). Those are the 5 I'd deal with, though everyone has their preferences. I think there are 26ish anti-depressants (across all classes), but many are just tweaked formulations (or generics) of each other, no sense re-inventing the wheel I guess.

-p
Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unhappy Dear Sober & Recovery Family,

Thanks Lizrox, I can totally relate to your situation with the Benzos....

I am tapering off them very slowly, but it's not an enjoyable experience....

In fact I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me....

God Bless each & everyone at the Anxiety Forum......

Originally Posted by Lizrox View Post

I also have HORRIBLE panic attacks and there are meds you can take besides the benzos. I do take Effexor and it does help me. Make sure you see a dr that knows about tapering off of benzos. Benzo withdrawal can be extremely dangerous. I am going through it right now.

Best of luck to you.

Liz
Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all

Just thought I would throw my 2cents in!
I found antidepressants would send me into psychosis (especially if i was drinking) I am now on an anti psychotic (seroquel) it works wonders for me. I tried effexor a few years back and it made me as high as a kite! But each to their own. Everyones brain chemistry is different. I know of 2 others on effexor and they said with 2 days they were feeling so much better. I have also watched a friend go on olanzapam with epilim and valium. she was a mess, now she is only on epilim and is finally feeling 'normal' again. the psychiatrists wanted me to try epilim, (as i have a mood disorder and get very manic) but I was too scared to after reading up on all the side effects ~ mainly the hair loss and weight gain..... I mean GOSH! why would I even try it! lol

there is a really good site called crazymeds.org that has all the 'brain' medications listed and is a chat room for all that take them.

Hope your doing well!

Lisa
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for your feedback everyone, it seems that some people do respond well to Efexor XR, I believe I will too....
Old 07-22-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

Hang in there....
Old 07-22-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Introvrtd1 for your encouragement,

It means a lot to me...

God Bless you, my friend....
Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I took efexor xr for 1 year, it is a SNRI, which is more potent than and SSRI. It's great for anxiety and panic but one thing most people don't tell you about is the withdrawal, or as the medical community call it, discontinuation syndrome. Now don't stress, not everybody suffers from this, but I did and it makes coming off benzos feel like a walk in the park. After coming off efexor I swore black and blue that I'd never take anti-depressants again, but since I quit drinking I'm now back on Zoloft and it's working very well. Sometimes we need medication but what I'm trying to tell you is, that if you or your doctor decide to take you off efexor do a very, very slow taper. If it get to be too much towards the end you can cross taper to prozac which helps lessen the blow of the withdrawal. Good luck, I really hope it works for you, it helped me climb out of a very dark place but I would touch it with a barge pole ever again. efexor xr and aropax are known to be the 2 worst anti-depressants to stop taking. I heard someone mention crazy meds which is good for info and so is psycho babble. Give them a google for more info and support. Psycho babble is a great forum for psych meds and people are very supportive there for mental health issues, like they are here for drug and alcohol dependence. This is the best drug and alcohol site I have ever come across. I'd stick to this forum for support with dependence and the others for info on medication, and don't forget a lot of medication in the US has different names, so you might have to google the medication's chemical name. We spell efexor with one f they spell it effexor. Epilim is called Depacon etc....you'll get it. Good luck, I wish you all the best!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by weatherfreak; 07-30-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Well

Smile

I too just started taking Efexor xr and have already found that after a week it has already helped. I am not to worried about the coming off of it , I will cross that bridge with my doctor when I get there. I am just glad to be functioning again. I wish you all the best Simon. Hang in there

Karlee
Old 07-31-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am weaning off lexapro and onto effexor xr. Plus added welbutrin. I started improving immediately. Still have a scrip for benzo too. I couldn't be happier with my new "cocktail". I do know that I feel more activated, as I complained about lethargy alot and have been doing so much more and my anxiety which was always present is lessened.

So I am pleased with my new meds and ecstatic at the almost immediate results. I was used to waiting 6-8 weeks for an anti-d to begin working!

Only been on this new routine for a week but so far...excellent results!

another very informative and great mental health site is depression.org....tho' it address far more than depression and contains tons of info and forums that I find very helpful.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been on everything for anxiety/depression and now am trying nothing but prayer and people. It's not for everyone but after trying everything that medicine could offer, I believe they don't have an answer for my problem. My lastest foray was effexor and occasional benzos. They helped but at too high a price! Now I've resigned to stay here in cen. fl. and get through this instead of going back to old methods. I'll survive and get more used to it with no side effects with God's help. all the best.