Some additional sadness

Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some additional sadness

Besides the aw, that I have learned(accepted/surrendered) how to deal with, an acquaintance of mine started sending me bizarre text messages. I knew she drinks a bit, I did not know to what extent, but perhaps it is addiction to alcohol or perhaps more than alcohol.

In a single evening text message
#1 mother has stomach cancer and needs surgery. requested "big money" for moms surgery

#2 aunt has eye cancer and high blood pressure. another request for surgery cash.

#3 told me she is homeless and hungry I should be a gentleman and give her money

================================================== ============
I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and agreed to meet with her to talk.

She failed to show up twice.

Is it me or does this wreak of addiction related manipulation? The thing is it makes me very sad thinking about the destruction of yet another life. Really terrible.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You should hear my Moms drunken stories.

A homeless dog becomes (one hour later) a dog that was locked inside an apartment for 3 months (130 degrees, no water, windows closed), only to be visited by satanists that only kept keep it alive to torture it ...
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wreaks of addiction related manipulation. It's so sad. The names and circumstances change, but the results are the same.
You recognize what it is ~ deal with her the way that's best for you. Hang in there.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is

Do not give her money unless you plan to aid in her addiction. If her mother needs the surgery or her aunt, I'm sure the state will provide if they don't have the money. Don't do it because you will feel used and manipulated when you find out the truth and be angry with yourself as well as with her. Just let her find her way. Or direct her to help if she can't find it herself. That's the best thing you can do for her.

Jenny
Old 08-14-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Yikes.
While I cant say if that person is attempting to manipulate you for sure, I can tell you if I personally gave money to that person with a known alcohol addiction after those 3 stories, I would be wreaking of co-dependence !!!

Holy smokes batman!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you doing ok over there, steveHI? it's been awhile.....

hugs out, k
Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Request direct phone numbers for mother and aunt to arrange money transfers--LOL!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by an'ka View Post
Request direct phone numbers for mother and aunt to arrange money transfers--LOL!
I believe she did not recall the details of her first text message in claiming her mother is sick, and chose her aunt in message #2. In addition cancer of different parts of the body. Eye cancer is not at all common. Her aunt too is supposedly in the hospital.

I forgot to mention before the text messages she called me asking for school tuition and rent money.

The money transfer idea is not good as she might simply get addict friends to pose as the 2 people.

She didn't even have the sense to read her first text message and get the story straight the second time. Last night I got multiple repeat calls. I suspect she is partying all night, sleeping all day, and looking for enablers at night.

I think wiring money to a Nigerian emailer would be more logical (LOL)