AH at 2nd AA meeting

Old 08-10-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH at 2nd AA meeting

I thought I would kind of introduce myself. I lurked here back in June when my ah first decided to stop drinking, until that point I had never said anything to him about how he should quit as he was very high "functioning", and I was worried about the withdrawl he was going through. I was so paniced he actually started drinking again, not to the same extent, to stop the syptoms and waited until I was out of town to go cold turkey. He was in such a bad place he had to call my father to come and help him. He was seeing a doc for a few weeks but didn't like how the guy didn't really listen to what he said but would always give him a perscription before he left.

Ah seemed to be doing very well, but summer school...the stress followed by statisfaction of success all had to be celebrated with beer. He was not drinking enough to get drunk, but drinking none the less. Last night he got drink for the first time since June...and thie morning he went to his first AA meeting. He has finally realized he can't do it on his own, and I guess I have finally realized I can't help him. I am thinking I will go to an Al-non meeting tomorrow. There wasn't one close to me tonight or I would be there right now. I am very scared of this whole thing and of going to a face-to-face meeting in particular.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

There's nothing to be afraid of, Wister. The folks at Alanon will give you a warm welcome and make you feel right at home. You have nothing to lose in going, and everything to gain.

Looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wishing you both the best towards health and recovery. Hope springs eternal.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FD~ Thanks for your reply. I have been thinking about it all night and plan to go to the 10 am meeting. Since AD had been drinking again and did not yesterday of course he is feeling lousy today so really what better thing do I have to do than go. I certainly don't want to sit around here while his tummy aches.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck, wister!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, wister! Glad you are here! Hope to see a lot of you around here.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Let us know how your meeting went.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by wister View Post
I thought I would kind of introduce myself. I lurked here back in June when my ah first decided to stop drinking, until that point I had never said anything to him about how he should quit as he was very high "functioning", and I was worried about the withdrawl he was going through. I was so paniced he actually started drinking again, not to the same extent, to stop the syptoms and waited until I was out of town to go cold turkey. He was in such a bad place he had to call my father to come and help him. He was seeing a doc for a few weeks but didn't like how the guy didn't really listen to what he said but would always give him a perscription before he left.

Ah seemed to be doing very well, but summer school...the stress followed by statisfaction of success all had to be celebrated with beer. He was not drinking enough to get drunk, but drinking none the less. Last night he got drink for the first time since June...and thie morning he went to his first AA meeting. He has finally realized he can't do it on his own, and I guess I have finally realized I can't help him. I am thinking I will go to an Al-non meeting tomorrow. There wasn't one close to me tonight or I would be there right now. I am very scared of this whole thing and of going to a face-to-face meeting in particular.

hang in there ..I hope your ah hangs in there as well..hes taken the first step, which is usually one of the most difficult..its not easy for a high functioning alcoholic (as that was my beat) to admit you cannot stop without assistance ..its like admitting some deep dark character flaw....getting past that was hard for me...I was always Mr. In charge, a typical “A” type personality......but when it comes to alcohol, I am in not in charge it is...and that’s that..it is what it is....denying it, is an escape..he appears to have realized that and good for him....keep on trucking...

the meeting can be intimidating first time out....I felt it too, but I knew, that sitting there and listening and parsing what was being said would cost me nothing, but gain me everything, if I let it........and it has....best wishes..
Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I did it. The meeting I attended was in a very run down building behind the slightly less run down building where ah went for his meetings yesterday. Everyone was very kind. There were a lot of people there. Everyone couldn't have spoken in an hour if they had wanted to. I guess I will go back as they did suggest going to 6 meetings very close together before I decide if it is for me or not.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep going, wister! i have a few meetings i really like - one is a big group that does topics and all the steps and traditions. the other is a small group that does steps 1 -3 and topics..

if you have an opportunity to try different groups, do so.

blessings, k
Old 08-11-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are 3 weeknight meetings at the same place. It is very conveniently located to my house, and most of the others in town are not. I hope to get a chance to experience all of them over the next 2 weeks and see what they are like.