Notices

Male/female sponsorship

Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Male/female sponsorship

Hey all,

Question. I've been looking for a sponsor. I'm finding it difficult. Some background:

I"m currently in a committed lesbian relationship. I'm divorced. I feel much more comfortable around the men in the rooms, there is one man who i greatly admire. Long sobriety, kids, divorced, see him at tons of meetings..

What's the feeling about a man sponsoring a woman? Should I stick with women?

Thanks for the feedback

Karen
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Have you read
"Questions and Answers on Sponsorship"?

It's the official AA guideline.

In my experience and observation...
it is best to have a sponsor of the same sex.
Especially to share on personal problems.

Why complicate your recovery?

Blessings
Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

As I understand it, the idea behind same-sex sponsorship is to avoid any kind of sexual charge or interest in the sponsor-sponsee relationship. So in your case, that could be an argument for having an opposite-sex sponsor. I know a long-sober lesbian who credits her male sponsor as having helped her stay sober. I also know gay people with same-sex sponsors.

Seems to me that being comfortable with someone is important, and if that points to a male sponsor, so be it. I assume he knows that you're a lesbian? That whole sexual attraction thing needs to be off the table for both of you

Are there any gay AA meetings in your area? There are a few around my area in New Jersey. You might get some perspective at such a meeting.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The general guideline is to have a sponsor of the same gender. I agree with Solitaire. For people who are same-gender oriented, the opposite rule should then apply.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I am examining my motives for this question. Not sure if its another excuse. Wouldn't hurt to find a woman sponsor, just get to it, and see what happens. i can always find someone else if it doesn't work right?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't think the same-sex suggestion applies in your case, Merlot.

And yes, you can always ask someone to sponsor you temporarily until you find someone you wish to stick with.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face

Hey merlotmamma ---

Good question....as a lesbian woman (I just luv rendundancy...lol), I got sober at Lambda---the gay AA club here in Houston.

After a few meetings, reading some of the BB, listening intently at metings when this topic was brought up, and thoroughly reading the AA pamphlet re: Sponsorship, I decided to go with what felt right. I know most will tell you that in early recovery your 'picker' is broke, but that was one of, what I like to call, the 'negatives' in AA, and I simply didn't buy into it; it was demeaning; it was nonsense; it was a nonissue. I was in dire need of sobriety and not interested in anything else from ANYONE, and anyone who might be interested in me.....? Well, I certainly wouldn't want anything to do with them; their 'picker' was definitely defective, or more than likely, they were....lol

There were a couple of folks (specifically one male and one female) I admired, so I asked them both; the male declined (too many commitments at the time), but the woman accepted....and it was a perfect fit for this newcomer in recovery.... (o: Later in my recovery, when I found I was in need of a sponsor once more (I know most folks say to pick a sponsor who has and uses his/her sponsor, BUT I believe as the pamphlet says: sponsors are for NEWCOMERS, and personally, I wouldn't want a person for my sponsor if he/she still considered himself/herself to be a newcomer), as I was embarking on a phase in recovery that was 'new' to me......and this time I found the perfect man (at least perfect for the situation, and this lesbian).....lol

I hope this helped some.....and didn't bore y'all to tears...lol ... But it fun for me; remembering the good ole days..... (o:

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86

P.S. I just luv yer nic....reminds me of Brenda Leigh Johnson (The Closer).... (o:

P.P.S Sooooooo...my suggertion.....? go with yer gut..... (o:
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Noelle. I shared my lack of proactiveness (not a real word I guess lol)in my step meeting last night..got a lot of knowing nods and "keep coming".

I'm gonna pick up the phone today and call a woman who gave me her number oh, bout a month ago. Just gonna ask her.

We don't have hardly any GLBT meetings around here..wish that we had more.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yep, my opinion would be to do what feels right for you.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I tend to agree with Noelle...particularly since, in early sobriety, I had two sponsors with years of good, solid program...figured I needed all the help I could get! Yup...a male and a female, both of whom were gay. Neither had been married, nor had children...I was straight, married and divorced twice, three grown kids...the one thing we had in common was a desire not to drink (the only requirement for AA membership). I've had a few different sponsors since then; but, 27 years later, I can say that what might have appeared to be an unorthodox sponsorship worked very well for me.