Notices

new and scared

Old 07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy new and scared

Hi Everyone. Im really glad i found this site. I finally admitted to myself the other day, that i cant drink anymore. I cant contiune on this path. Im 25 and have 3 dwi's. Im ruining my life. Im so depressed. I just want to sleep.. I have such anxiety, to the point where it is making me sick. I feel i have no one to talk to except my family. My family is my world! I dont know what i would do without them. They understand whats going on because they had to deal with my brother, who is an alchoholic(almost 6 years sober. I think its the fact that i admitted i cant drink and thats why i feel so depressed. Im scared for what is to come and the struggles i will have. I have never went without a drink for more than a few weeks. Not sure what to expect or how to deal. I feel i dont know the real me! ive been hinding behind alchohol. It has been in my life since i was 16.. Hard to picture life without it.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Welcome

Kate. Glad that you are here.

Karen
Old 07-16-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi Kate and welcome to SR have look around at the stickies at the top of each forum and at the info in general. Any questions just ask away

I used to live from a position of total fear. These days much of my life is lived from a position of love.

Kevin
Old 07-16-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kate,

Welcome!

It is very scary to admit that you're an alcoholic and accept everything that goes along with that. I had no idea how I would get through life without alcohol and didn't ever imagine that I'd be happy. My self-esteem was so, so low. You will find lots of support here and information too, so keep reading and posting.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Kate, coming out of denial and admitting your problem is a big step in the right direction.
The stickies at the top of the 'alcoholism' forum are worth a read.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see a new member
Welcome!
Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kate! Welcome aboard....
Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you can expect love and support here.. gives you a big hug.. welcome to our family there is SO MUCH LOVE AND COMFORT HERE.. keep coming back and sharing i will pray for you ... your on the right track now.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

awww we were all alone and scared too. like you i got sober when i was 25. yes at first it is scary and lonely but i found it to be the most incredible experience of my life! go to a meeting and let them know its your first one. they will take it from there with offering a solution (solution consists of getting a sponser and making meetings). the great thing about AA is we dont have to commit to anything except staying sober TODAY. dont worry about tommorow, just dont drink TODAY. you're home now!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Kate! This place is great, there's always people on that you can chat with. And it sounds like you have a great family support system - excellent!

FallGirl
Old 07-16-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Kate,

Welcome! I think it's awesome that your family is so important to you, and that you have a brother who is 6 years sober. Does he go to AA, or how did he sober up?
I hope you stick around, there IS hope.

Rowan
Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Kate,

Welcome! Being scared and having anxiety is a normal part of it. Keep posting on here what you feel, read the stickies, especially on what to expect with withdrawals, and most of all be kind to yourself. HUGS! Glad you are here!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Kate. You're in (one of) the right place(s) here at SR, I've only been here a few days myself, but I'm very impressed by the support being freely offered, all the hope and love is very inspirational.

Now that you admit you can't drink, I highly recommend the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous as a means to the only end that you'll want to have, which is that of LIVING SOBER. You would be a rare bird indeed if you can do so alone, without learning the tools that are FREELY at your disposal within 'the rooms'. So much wisdom and understanding to be found there, you really shouldn't miss the opportunity to get some of it for yourself.

Might I recommend hitting a meeting tomorrow?

BTW, I hid behind drugs and alcohol from when I was 14 until I was 40 years old. Believe me, I understand your fear about who/what you're going to be without alcohol. THAT LINE OF THINKING/FEELING IS A VERY POWERFUL ENEMY to your sobriety. To stay sober (which is to say, to avoid the inevitable fate of JAILS, INSTITUTIONS, AND DEATH), you must vanquish such fears from your thought processes. Part of what you learn in AA is to live ONE DAY AT A TIME. You must learn to keep your addictive mind under some measure of control, and one it's MAIN offensive weapons is to try to make you feel OVERWHELMED by the (apparently) MASSIVE task at hand - A Lifetime of Sobriety! OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DO THAT, WHAT ABOUT YOUR WEDDING DAY (as an example). We all went through these manipulations by our addictive mind when we were trying to get sober. The key here is ... One Day At A Time. Sounds simple, corny, kinda stupid. But guess what? When the alternative is DEATH, you'd be amazed what kinda mileage you can get out of a corny-sounding slogan ... when you WORK IT for all it's worth, that simple concept is the difference between life and death for untold thousands of alcoholics and addicts.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

add my voice to the chorus I guess
hi Kate - welcome.

Hope to see you around - there's lots of good advice and help and support here

D
Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

Hi Kate,

I am glad you found us here and will be among the others to welcome you. It was an important and courageous step you took to admit you have a problem with alcohol. I am glad you did it. You may be in for some difficulty but it is nothing compared to what you would face if you didn't stop. We are here for you 24/7. SR is a valuable resource. Please take advantage of it and good luck!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

HI Kate ..Glad you are here.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
welcome_signs_69.gif (24.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-17-2007, 06:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, pastrykate - recovery is possible. your lucky to have a supportive family. does your user name mean that you bake pastries? blessings, k
Old 07-17-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
GURUJAKE

Kate, thanks so much for sharing and welcome to SR. I relate to the feelings you've described and your fears. I also relate to the feeling that you don't know yourself. You wanna know the great news??...You have lots of time to get to know yourself! For me, I felt like it was a clean slate. I got a chance to start over and do everything right! I have built myself into a man that I am proud of today and I have an awesome, sober life that I never dreamed could happen. I'm coming up on 2 years sober after drinking for 20 straight. You have made the first step toward a new, wonderful you. You never have to drink again. Please stick around.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Kate,

This is a great place of support and here you will learn a wealth of information about addiction.

We never have to be alone..

Keep posting, glad you are here....
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Kate,

I'm in the same place, living without alcohol is pretty scary to me, it's like becoming an entirely different person. I've had a long struggle depression and anxiety as well, sometimes it seems like drinking is the only way to ever feel comfortable, but in the end it only makes everything worse. You're in good company here.