Notices

Desire Being Clean, Not Sober

Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Desire Being Clean, Not Sober

Hi,

I'm about a week short of 90 days CLEAN. Had two screwdrivers in Vegas two weeks ago. Other than that, I've been sober. My question is: Is there a recovery program out there that supports those who desire to be clean, but do not desire to be sober? I'm 40 years old and never had a problem with alcohol. My average intake of alcohol over the last 20 years was about two cocktails a month. I've never had the desire to stop drinking, as I've never had a problem with it. I just occassionally enjoy drinking and don't feel the need or desire to quit.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

My only question would be if alcohol could lull you into the place where you wanted to do drugs again. Many times our addictions feed on each other and can make us vulnerable. If you feel confident that drinking is not a problem for you and won't affect your drug use, then I guess it will work.

Hopefully others will be along who can give you more insight.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tooty,

Welcome to SR. I have a problem with alcohol and pills, so had to quit both.
Unfortunately, I do not have experience with quitting only one without wanting the other. In any event, congratulations on your clean time, that's a real milestone.

Rowan
Old 06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to add that while living in the recovery home, we had to attend 6 AA meetings a week. In the beginning, I didn't understand why I, an admitted addict, should be attending such meetings. Long story short, I LOVE AA meetings -- the support, friendships, spirituality, etc. I don't feel I "need" meetings. I just "want" that in my life. I do not want to compromise the integrity of the program by attending meetings and in my heart not wanting to quit drinking. I have no problem raising my hand as a newcomer each time either, but I don't feel that that is what the program was designed for either. So any advice for me where I can get similar-type support to stay CLEAN?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NA?
But I'm not sure what their requirements are i.e. for AA it's a desire to quit drinking so maybe theirs is a simple desire to stay clean?
Do you go to NA at all? There are others here who do and I'm sure they will be along soon.
Just a question - if alcohol isn't a problem for you, and you like AA, why not remain abstinent from both booze and drugs? I know you don't have a desire to quit drinking, but .. I don't know .. searching for answers here myself.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I have gone to NA meetings, but prefer the overall atmosphere of AA meetings. Since in NA one is to be abstinent from alcohol as well, I have the same moral dilemma there also. If drinking alcohol was okay in the NA mission, I would happily attend those meetings. I just feel that there is no place for me to go....and be accepted.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Since in NA one is to be abstinent from alcohol as well
There's your answer. And I would guess there's a good reason for it too.

I've only been sober for 8 months, but I know of first hand several who went back out because of Vicodin or other "meds".
Old 06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's odd you would have a problem with drugs and NOT with alcohol. Yet you prefer AA meetings. It's like someone attending AA who happens to be a pot-head.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well - you are accepted here, Tootypie.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To put it succinctly, I prefer AA meetings because I find more stories of experience, strength, and hope than I do at NA meetings.

And thanks, Rowan !
Old 06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I never had a problem with Alcohol either, was clean for 20 years and then relapsed using only booze the relapse lasted 11 years and nearly killed me.

Its a disease of addiction and works on us constantly. Why drink one a month anyway just chuck it in.

Good luck

Kevin
Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I see what shes sayin. And if she can handle it without becoming unmanageable..Than I say good for her.
I wouldnt quit my addicition if I could only have 2 a month and quit. And if it wasnt a problem for me. I am sur none of us would. Im gonna be strait up on that.
Some of my family only drink once in a great while. But it doesnt pose a problem. Its only on occasion and not too many.
But I see what the others are saying too.
hey if you can handle it. F it.
I dont see anything wrong with a few once in awhile if that is not your problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
welcome14.jpg (19.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

who wouldn't if they could, but if your an addict like me ...

Kevin
Old 06-27-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hey..me too...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Can we take a bet that your alcohol comsumption will increase?? If alcohol is not a problem for you why can't you just not drink?? Drink pop, water, tea.....