Notices

sober for 12 hours

Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober for 12 hours

Heya, I am new to this. It is my start in trying to move towards some sorta control cause I lost it somewhere a few years back.
I am 27 and have always led a social lifestyle where drinks are a norm. A long time ago I told myself I could never be an alcoholic because I would hate to be numb, I love to feel things much more. I also told myself a few years later(when I began getting a bit concerned) that as long as my family and professional life are in tact then I can party all I want. Now I have a truly big problem. What I lost is control and somehow forgot how good it feels to be sober. I have a family history of boozers however my parents hardly drink and have always led healthy life styles. I have always controled my smoking addiction, 10 years yet have no trouble going on one or 2 cigarettes a day only at nite. I wish I could keep my drinking in such control. You see I don't know if I am ready to say I will never drink again, I know I will, I just don't ever want to feel like I am controlled by drinking. I just got back from traveling where I admitted to some friends about having a problem. I would polish off a bottle of wine almost every nite so it was easy to notice how much I drink. I came back and spent the weekend partying at the pride parade of which I barely remember. This morning my friend who took me to bed and made sure I was safe(I am damn lucky) told me he doesn't understand why I continue drinking when I am already drunk. I said "I think I may have a bit of a problem." If I continue like this then I will loose my closest friends, I will continue loosing money, cell phones, wallets etc. I don't know what to do. I checked out some rehab options but don't have much money. I would love to do some short detox just to give myself the initial push but don't really know where to go(any suggestions would be great). The longest amount of time I abstained from having an alcoholic beverage in the past year has probably been no longer then 3 days. I binge drink once every 3 days I'd say. Anyhow, my concentration is awful, I am trying to find work (as I just got back), my confidence and motivation is very low, I have trouble making healthy relationships and now even more trouble meeting people)cause I get to wasted when I am out. ahhhh I know I am dragging on but I am already craving a beer, it's summer time and a million excuses to booze it up. Do you think that attempting to eliminate my binge days and limiting myself to say no more then a couple of beers (only when I am out) is at all realistic? I will try not to have a single drink until Friday, I have a party to go to then and will attempt to practice the control thing. I You may think I am naive or not really taking myself seriously if I am not fully willing to cold turkey quit...however I think this challenge already freaks me out...I wish me luck.. thank you for reading.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jacki
I know what you mean...I could never understand why people *stopped* when they became drunk....LOL insanity.

Control? for me there's no such thing and I fooled myself for years trying to 'drink but not to excess'...any of the very few times I succeeded was quickly followed by a massive blow out...

I really hope you're one of the very few lucky ones who can dance with the devil, but from your post I think you already realise it's 'problem' time, yeah ?

There's always a sympathetic ear and some good advice here in any case.

D
Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ahhh, control, right? I know it's really hard to feel controlled by an inanimate object. I too tried to tell my self I could just drink a few. And sometimes I can, but lately I can't do that. And I never know if I will be able to or not. It's turning out to be way too much of a gamble. And I'm realizing/ admitting that the gambel just isn't worth it.

That's really hard to admit but it's the truth. And I'm finding it's a truth for a lot of people...

I wish you well. Hope you had fun at pride. Were you in NYC?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...

As you are having loss of memory
I suggest you read this...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/

Blackouts or discussed on #35
but there is a lot of good info there.

Blessings
Old 06-26-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have tried several times to control my drinking. The sad fact for me is that
1 drink=1 drunk=1 binge.

I have been testing this formula for 23 years. It is tried and true. Good Luck. I hope you win either way.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I would be more freaked out by trying to control my drinking, then stopping it for good. I tried the control thing, desperately, for a very long time and it never worked for more than a few weeks. I would end up worse than where I started. And, not only that, my mind was obsessed with drinking the whole time, wondering where the next drink would be and when. It was such a relief to just stop.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, jacki - keep posting! blessings, k
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome

Hi Jackie, glad to have you with us. You will meet many kind and understanding people here. Keep reading and posting!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Heya, no not NYC pride, but Toronto pride. I haven't managed to make it to NYC yet though it is not so far at all. Anyhow, thanks for the reply. I am pissed of that I got myself to the point where I may be in so far that I am very unsure if this control thing will work at all. I think it may be much harder than not drinking at all. We shell see how it goes, if I fall into binging then AA is next. I almost left this morning for an 11 day meditation retreat which is a full detox from food, communication and toxins. I was concerned that it may be too hardcore so I rescheduled for a further date this summer. Something to prep for mentally. Hang in there, btw I know what you mean about boredom, I think it is part of the reason I overdrank many times. I recommend people watching at cafes, soccer, random workshops.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jacki,

Welcome! I'm just north of Toronto myself. Have you checked out rehabs? Most are covered by OHIP here in Ontario - then there is aftercare (also covered) - and then, of course, AA, if you so choose.
I tried to control my drinking for a long time - the party atmosphere you related - I could identify with strongly. Always losing stuff, blacking out, having people take care of me so I didn't get hurt etc - controlling my intake was too difficult and inevitably I failed at that. I know it's a lot to swallow, thinking about giving up something that's been such a big part of your life, and coming here has been a great first step. If you have any questions about rehabs in this area, let me know - I know a lot of people who have been to them. I went to Georgianwood myself for 28 days, and go to AA now. It's saved my life - actually, it's given me a life.
I also went on a retreat recently, and we didn't fast or anything, but there was emphasis on silence amongst the retreatants, and overall it was a positive, restful experience. Sure makes you think about what you want from life.
Please keep posting.

Rowan
Old 06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

'I binge drink once every 3 days I'd say.'

I was doing that up until last new year, before that I drank everyday-my body couldnt take it so I started bingeing instead.
When I drank I drank until I was passed out on the floor, I ended up being really ill on the 2 days I didnt drink so everyday was effected by the drinking.

It got worse after new year when I tried to quit, my last binge lasted 30 days and I was so ILL after that.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on I dont even know what my point is!

Welcome!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi,

Ah, control. Something that i think most of us here have in common. The need to control, not just our drinking but most of everything in our lives.

I found that personally once I admitted that I was giving up control, once it stopped being MY will, and I turned it over to my HP, that everything else was extremely easy after that. Not perfect mind you, but easier.

Good luck J..keep posting here.

Karen
Old 06-27-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Jackie Glad you are here.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
welcome_signs_53.gif (17.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Keep posting...

Liz
Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jacki!

I tried often to control my drinking, also. Starting later in the day, limiting the amount that I drank... never could do it for more than a day, usually not even that long. I was a daily drinker, often to the point of blacking out. I have finally admitted to myself what I've know for a long time- that I am an alcoholic, and once I start to to drink, I truly don't know when or if I'll stop, or what I'll do. I have one week sober today. Keep reading and posting. There is a lot of information and support on this forum. It's certainly helped to keep me sober.

Brightest blessings to you.

BHJ
Old 10-14-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am back, and yes you were right about the control thing...****..
Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again...

Most of us in recovery tried moderating
before we finally quit.
At one point...
I drank only Bourbon because I detested the taste.

Do you now have a different plan?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hi jacki - i was in your exact situation and i was the same way with binging and when i tried to control it it actually got worse to where i was doing it every night after work and just passing out instead of going to bed. so i definitely know how you feel. my last binge almost killed me so i went through out patient detox pretty much by myself but i made it through after 3 days or so, i pretty much stayed in bed. and then decided to just try and find a new job and do AA and see if that helps. I also found that rehab (at least a good one) is very pricey!!! good luck and keep posting here....it helps!!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you think you have a problem with alcohol, AA is a good place to find out about it.

I couldn't control my drinking either. I would go and have a couple at lunchtime. Everyone else would go back to work and I just couldn't stop drinking. If, by some super human effort I managed to get back to work, my mind was on the next drink and I would be watching the clock until I could get back to the bar.

It didn't matter what I had promised, I would arrange to get out of things or I would be so sick the next day, life was very hard to live.

Then when I decided to stop, I found I couldn't stay stopped. My mind kept telling me I could drink moderately. I had an obsession that I would be able to drink normally and I still have that thought sometimes.

The way I have kept sober is by going to AA and doing the steps. I have no mental defence against the first drink so I need a power greater than alcohol in my life to keep me from the hell that drinking took me to.

Welcome back. You are not alone.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Jacki.
Fellow Canadian here. I feel the same as you. I tend to drink a bit more than a bottle of wine a night but we are all in the same boat. I have managed to stay away from drinking now for 5 days. I have done this many times over the years and this is the time that I always fall off the wagon. I have also tried the control thing....doesn't work (at least not for me). My problem is not the 10th or 20th drink (which is more the norm), but the first drink. If I have one then I want 20! I manged to abstane from drinking over the past 5 days even though I was in situations that I normally consume copius amounts. I'm very proud of myself but at the same time feeling like I'm losing a friend. I have tried this many times thoughout the years but to little success. I dropped in at a AADAC branch a couple of weeks ago and have a meeting with a counselor on this upcoming Friday. I promised myself I won't have anything to drink until after that date. My problem is I've made promises to myself before that I was unable to keep. Do you care to have an online "non-drinking" buddy? If so please let me know. I'd like to hook up with someone else if nothing else for the competition aspect of my personality.

Regards,
FM