Notices

Please help, feel I am in a corner.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Merlin

Unhappy Please help, feel I am in a corner.

Hi All......................................don't know where to start, it feels odd to sit here at the pc and think of just how to convey my sense of desperation and isolation, but guess a lot of you will have felt that yourselves.

I have always been a fairly heavy social drinker but over the years have drunk more indoors as I have lost touch with friends. I have been drinking more lately because of personal issues (more details if you want) and am drinking myself into a stupor and cannot remember much, I am crying and sobbing etc.

I feel so desperate, but have managed to get promotion in my job and have managed to arrange some counselling soon....................but don't know where to go from here, feel I can't see the wood for the trees and feel numb............

Any advice would be well received..................
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Merlin,

Welcome and I'm glad you found us.

Yes, I understand the isolation. By the time I stopped drinking, my life had become very small.

What's next, I think, is to talk to your dr and find out if it's safe for you to stop drinking. Hopefully it is and you can get through the day without alcohol. What worked for me in the early days, was changing my routines and daily patterns. I had to plan to be doing something different at the times when I would have been drinking.

Try to not be overwhelmed by your situation. Just get through each day and begin to move forward.

It's good things are going well at work. And, I'm very glad you have arranged counselling.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You are in the right place. Most of us drank in isolation. We recover in fellowship.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Welcome!

You are in the right place. The last years of my drinking was mostly in my home. I always had a glass in my hand when doing housework, laundry, or cooking. I finally got to the end or my bottom and made an appointment at Mental Health because I thought I was really crazy doing all this drinking myself into a stupor every night & worse on the weekend.

I was evaluated as being in the begining of being an end-stage alcoholic. When I was admitted to the hospital for detox I had a blood alcohol of 0.3 and the alcohol counselor could not believe how clear I was talking, how good I was walking....he said that was a worry because I had such a high tolerance for alcohol.

I was 48 years old at this time and felt I just had death staring me in the face. I did go to AA and counseling for both my alcoholism & depression.

I still live the AA Program in my life and still take medication for my depression. I hope you will be able to discuss all your issues with the counselor you see. You can even be seen on an emergency basis in most communities if you feel you need help sooner than an appointment can be made.

It must have taken a lot of courage to come on line. That is what it takes here to help ourselves get better.

kelsh
Old 10-15-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Merlin,

Welcome...

Keep posting...
Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Mike_Mass nailed it, IMO.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OH! merlin, I know EXACTLY how you feel. it is just how I spent the last years of my drinking. The lonliness is apalling!

I used to think I drank cos I was lonely and depressed, it wasn't til I had some sobriety under my belt, and my new friends in AA that I realised I was depressed and lonely BECAUSE I drank.

I chose AA as my method of recovery, and have never regretted it . It provides me with several things
* a plan to live by step by step
* An understanding ear at the end of the phone when ever I need it
* and fellowship

You do not have to do this alone, get to an AA meeting, to fill in that time til you see your counsellor, and listen up big, for the similarities , not the differences. You will find that many have been right where you are now, and found their way out of the mire

Good luck with your recovery journey

HUGX
Leigh
Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

merlin - welcome! i am doing AA and plan to go to counseling once i get back to work so i am hoping that is all i need. keep posting here, it does help!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You too can begin a healthier happier life!

Welcome!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Merlin, welcome to SR and congrats on your promotion.It sounds like you are already taking the right steps by arranging counselling and coming on here .I'm sure you will find support and friendship.