Miracles do happen!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Thumbs up Miracles do happen!

Father’s day was an extra special day – I simply like to call it my “small miracle day”. And that is for a couple reasons. First of all, AD was here for the first time in such a very, very long time; and more importantly for the second reason; our granddaughter, who will be 2 in Aug. was here to brighten our day!

For anyone who knows my story, it has been a very long time coming – to have AD, SD and Mr. M and I all here under one roof without chewing each other’s heads off is a miracle in itself and something that I have been praying for for a very long time!

And to be able to spend some time with the grandbaby, in my home, relaxed and without all the tensions of the past; well, it was a miracle I never expected would come about!

It was a bit uncomfortable at times but I do realize that without my recovery, and that of SD and Mr. M, things could have gotten escalated. But we all put our “recovery gloves” on and concentrated on the priority of the day – the little “miracle” of life that ran around and around and around my house and up and down, and down and up my living room stairs! Lol I remember my comment after they were gone and back home – “Good Lord, I’m getting too old for this!” (nothing could have been truer!) I was pleasantly and greatfully exhausted.

The things I am really, really grateful for:

Mr. M learned a few things about himself from the day and I am so proud of him for recognizing them and committing himself to working on them and for not allowing them to become part of the day!! I told him that although he discovered he has a few more issues, he needs to be very proud of himself for realizing that they are “his” issues and keeping them to himself until AFTER she was gone. He’s come a very long way

And I was very proud of SD for putting aside all her issues and closing the door to the past long enough to realize that there may possibly be a future! She is an amazing person, who has taught me so much.

And to my AD, who, I could see, mustered up enough courage to present herself in a good way but mostly I am proud of the way she appears to be bringing up her daughter. Yes, there are a lot of problems and things she has yet to deal with but it was apparent that she and her daughter have a good, healthy and loving relationship and that is really what counts.

And I am proud of myself (yup, I will give myself a much-deserved pat on the back – I’ve earned it!) for “letting go” whenever that lump welled in my throat and for allowing myself and everyone else to accept the reality as it is and trying to recognize and enjoy the good of what is – right now! There are still a lot of problems but I did not allow those problems to become roadblocks to enjoying my limited time with my granddaughter. A couple years ago, they would have!

Yesterday truly felt like a “family” day and I never, ever thought I would say that. I just wanted to share my good fortune and let you know that there is hope – there is always a glimmer of hope. Working on “my” recovery is the best thing I could have ever done for myself and my family. And all of you were a part in that.

I am still a work in progress but yesterday I got to enjoy the fruits of my labor!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

((((Marteen))))

That's a WONDERFUL story!!!
I'm so happy for you all! Each and every one of you made this happen, but, Marteen, I've known you for quite a while now. It's YOUR recovery that paved the way for this miraculous Father's Day.
Kudos!!!

Shalom!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Thanks, teach. You know that it took an awful lot to get here - never thought it would but all my recovery tools made it possible! And all the wonderful people like you who walked with me on my journey.

I still have many miles to go...
Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is so great it almost made me cry..thanks for sharing it.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

And I also wanted to add that I've done this with a new job and not once thinking of picking up a cigarette!!! Amazing!

And I was a sick puppy when I first came here.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
President

I'm sooo glad the day turned out so well! I think you all deserved it.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, marteen, I am just so happy for you! Your hp was certainly watching over your family that day. You should be very proud of your whole family, and especially, yourself. I'm sure it did your heart a world of good to see the loving relationship between your daughter and grand daughter. This is just such great news!! You are an inspiration for all of us.
And about 2 year olds...my grandkids are 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, and 2..and at the end of a couple of hours, I am one pooped grammy!!! There's nothing in the world, in my hmo, better for you than being with your grand children. I hope you have another day together very soon.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Ain't nothing like those grandkids!
Glad you had a wonderful day, with the entire family. You deserve it.
susan
Old 06-18-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((((((Marteen)))))))))))

That's great, sweetie. I'm so happy for you all.
This just made my night.
Sending much love and many prayers for a continuing relationship with your ad.
Good times may just "move" her to a better direction.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring story. How wonderful for you and your family. I have been thinking a lot lately about how I would handle myself if I should ever hear from my addict friend again. I will keep the story of your special day tucked away in my "this is how it SHOULD be done" file. HUGS
Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Marteen, All I can say is WONDERFUL. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about you yesterday and praying that you would have a great day. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
cmc

marteen,
I'm so happy for you!
hugs,
cmc
Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Marteen!

I'm just so happy to hear this news. I'm so glad you got to spend a wonderful, peaceful day with your family...most especially that beautiful grandbaby of yours! What a blessing!!

Happy hugs for you and the whole family...
Love ya Marteen!!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

As you have said to me so often,
GIRL, YOUR RECOVERY IS SHINING!!!

(or was that showing??? No no.. that was underwear..)

((((((MARTEEN))))))))
and (((((((( Mr. M, SD, AD and Granbaby!))))))))
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great news Marteen!
Who wouldda thunk, huh?

This made my day
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Marteen, I'm so happy for all of you. What a long way you have come on this journey and it's wonderful that recovery is helping you to share those precious moments. You've made my heart smile!! Prayers for many more beautiful moments with all your girls and Mr. M.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

oh, marteen, i am so happy you all had such a great day.yes, you have put a lot of time into your recovery. i am glad your "family day" was shining for you yesterday.miracles do happen everyday. i hope this is the beginning of all good things.hugs, hope
Old 06-18-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Fantastic!
Glad you has such an awesome day.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What a wonderful way to spend Father's Day and I can just imagine that little sweetie with her Nana Marteen.

Your recovery is truly shining, Marteen, and your light is spilling out on your entire family, and that's a good thing.

Hugs
Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Yea For you (((((((((Marteen&Family))))))))))