Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

One of my best friends came to me the other day. He was in tears.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

His daughter was sent to jail. She'd been out partying, young girl too, just out of college. She'd been trying to quit drinking, been to a few AA meets. She'd been partying and decided maybe she should not drink any more and so she went home.

On the way home, driving drunk, she hit a kid on a bicycle. The kid died. My friends daughter is going to jail for a long time.

He came to me in tears. He had been in the courtroom. When they took his daughter away people laughed at her. Except for the mother of the child who died. She came to him and hugged him and together they prayed for his daughter.

The next time you laugh at a drunk, the next time you vent your anger at the drunk, you are forgetting the parents, the brothers and sisters, the children, who's lives are ruined. And you are forgetting the drunk who will spend the rest of their life with that guilt on their soul. You laughed, when you could have prayed.

Those of us who love an alcoholic, those of us who feel the pain of losing them to this awful disease, we are grateful for those of you who pray with us, and we pray that some day those of you who laugh can find the compassion to pray with us.

God bless

Mike, a grateful member of al-anon
Old 06-09-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mike, I have read your post twice. It is all so sad for everyone. It is like I tell my girls, our actions have a ripple affect, like throwing a rock into a pond. My prayers will be with your friend.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Prayers going out for your friend and his daughter....
Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mike

THANK YOU for saying what needed to be said as a reminder of compassion and perspective.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i've lost what i thought were good friends when they tell me my ex is a loser, or a joke, or an idiot, and they laugh because they don't see the person underneath the disease. i've chosen not to have people like that in my life anymore. i won't be friends with those who laugh at someone else's expense.

thanks for the post, mike. i'll be thinking of your friend and his daughter.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

Mike I have tears in my eyes . thank you so much for sharing and my prayers go out to you and your friends family , especially his daughter .
Inthisforme..I to have lost friends who judged my ah and me for staying in the relationship with him . It hurts in the beginning but is freeing at the same time . With friends like them , who needs enemys !
Old 06-09-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

(((Mike)))

Please let him know his daughter is in our prayers... as is the child she killed and both families.

(((...)))
Old 06-09-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

God bless, what a sad story for both families.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
full of hope

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
Those of us who love an alcoholic, those of us who feel the pain of losing them to this awful disease, we are grateful for those of you who pray with us, and we pray that some day those of you who laugh can find the compassion to pray with us.
There isn't anything funny about alcoholism. There isn't anything funny about what it does to you, what it takes from you, who it hurts or who it kills. And it is no respector of persons. I wouldn't wish this illness on anyone.

Praying for your friend and all the families involved, Mike.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

Prayers to you and all involved in that terrible story. It is definately a good reminder not to judge others. Thank you.