Notices

At the end of the rope and looking for some advice

Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
Unhappy At the end of the rope and looking for some advice

Hi Everyone...
Another lost and lonely newbie here looking for some advice. I am currently waiting for the counselor at a treatment center to call me back to continue the admission process for an inpatient alcohol program. Not really sure if this particular facility is good or not but I needed to start somewhere. I am a stay at home mom to 2 young girls, one with a disibility. Life has taken some major major turns this year and I can't seem to let off the alcohol(drink 5 nights a week with an average of 6 drinks per night) which has lead me into some major major depression taking a toll on not only me, but my family. My life has spiraled down hill at a very fast pace and I am deathly scared that I am going to lose everything I have. I have thought long and hard about AA meetings but don't think that will be the right route. There are some underlying issues to my addiction and I am hoping that 30-60 days of inpatient treatment with counseling will be the right thing for me(crossing fingers). I have wanted to do this for a few months now but an incident that has recently happened pretty much put me over the edge. This paragraph is only the tip of the iceberg but my kiddos are hungry little girls so I am a little distracted. lol
So, do any of you have advice on treatment centers? Should I go further away or closer to home? Do I need a Dr's referral for insurance purposes? The one I have checked into is in MN and I am hoping this is a good facility.

Thanks so much for reading and any advice you have.
I have to go and make lunch for my kiddos and will be back soon.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi AJ..Glad you are here.
I cant give advice on the inpatient thing.
I have been but never completed.
But being aware you cant do it alone and taking those steps to do something about it prove your on the right track.
This board has alot of support and info.
It has helped me alot.
Hope you keep looking for your path back.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
07.gif (6.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by AJD04 View Post
I have thought long and hard about AA meetings but don't think that will be the right route. There are some underlying issues to my addiction and I am hoping that 30-60 days of inpatient treatment with counseling will be the right thing for me(crossing fingers). I have wanted to do this for a few months now but an incident that has recently happened pretty much put me over the edge.
I don't have any advice on treatment centers, but I hope you'll reconsider the AA meetings after your inpatient treatment. A 30-60 day treatment will probably be great for getting you sober, but life is full of "incidents", in order to stay sober most of us need a solid recovery program.

Glad you're here. Keep posting and reading.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, ajd - your children are lucky to have a mom who is willing to get the help she needs.

we've been around rehab for awhile with our daughter. i'd suggest you call your insurance company right away, and find out what you are eligible for as far as coverage.

here's a website to program i can rec: www.rogershospital.org - it's in wisconsin.

good luck, and keep posting! k
Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

Hi AJ-
Gosh-I have to "ditto" what Astro said. Please take care-and after your inpatient stay, perhaps the idea to revisit the AA way will be an option for you.
Take care
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Welcome ajd. I've been to inpatient treatment twice. Please don't think of it as an "answer" to your problems, but a taking a step towards your goal. Treatment is what you put into it. I don't know what facility you are looking at, but most incorporate at least some degree of 12-step recovery.

The best advice I can give to you about treatment, wherever you go, is to go there with an open mind. The people there will try to help you, but you are the one who has to do the work.

I personally don't participate in a 12-step program, but I have been to many meetings. Don't just toss out the program without even trying it. It may or may not be for you, but you owe it to yourself to be willing to try whatever it takes in order to help yourself.

Best of luck to you. BTW, this is a great site for advice and support. People are always supportive and there for you when you need help. Take care.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi AJ ,

I was at the end of my rope too, this is when I turned to a 28 day rehab after trying just about everything else. It has been a little over a year since I was there and my recovery is right on course. I learned alot about this disease and the tools to use every day so I don't have to look at the end of that rope again........For me rehab was a life saver................It is no picnic, but i wasn't looking for one......

Get a referral from your dr. for insurance purposes, these places are not cheap so most reg. people need ins. help.....If your insurance carrier won't cover you for this, put up a fight, sometimes the squeky wheel, well you know......

I went kind of close to home because my family could visit once a week for 2 (short) hours. Every time i would see them , it would reinforce my purpose being there.

I also made new friends from all over the country and we still keep in touch..All say they are doing well

Hope this helps.............NED
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi AJD,

I'm a little late for the welcome, but wanted to say 'hi' just the same - and I'm so glad that you're here.
Please try your very best to keep an open mind with regards to what you may or may not need in the course of your recovery - I understand it can all be quite overwhelming - but it's important not to shut any doors before even looking behind them.
I went to rehab after two years of sobriety. I got into trouble with some pills (benzos), then relapsed briefly with alcohol. I stayed for a 21 day program - a spin-dry some call it (!) - then returned to AA meetings and working the 12 steps.
Getting sober was only the beginning for me. I had (and have) a lot of work to do, in order to learn why I drank as a way of coping. Working the steps, and being a part of a fellowship, helps me to do that.
Please keep reading and posting. You're in a good place.

Rowan
Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
Thank you ALL for your warm welcomes. I am most definitely going to keep an open mind as far as AA is concerned. I knew this wasn't/isn't going to be an easy road and I know there is going to be a lot of work after the fact but knowing the person I am, I have to go somewhere for help other than an outpatient program or meetings. I am glad a lot of you have found success and I cannot wait until I can be where most of you are today.

God Bless you all!!