I'm dating my ex

Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I'm dating my ex

OK so most of you are new (to me) so a brief update.
M and I split up in Sep. of 04, divorced in Oct of 05. Basically I hit my bottom and wanted out of the marriage, she moved on to an enabling fellow active alcoholic and lived miserably short termed after. She got another DUI, lost her job, lost her kids.... he turned abusive...yada yada. She continued on to her bottom and it took almost two years.

Well a while back she left him, moved in with her Mom, got sober, got back to work and got back into her childrens lives..... we met for lunch a few weeks ago. Now we're dating, taking it very slow paced and one day at a time type of thing. Things are going well and I'm happy to be seeing her on a limited basis. I'm glad she survived her bottom and I hope she stays sober but know that it's out of my hands.

I'm doing well at not rescuing or care taking, she knows what she has to do and doesn't even ask for help, (that's different) and I'm not offering, (that's different too ). We are having some great conversations and some great times... just like in the old days. Her health is returning and I swear that woman must have nine lives!

Life is good
Old 05-16-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((jazz)))
Old 05-16-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

WOW.
I am speechless.
Im super happy you are happy Jazz. You deserve happiness.
Rock on
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ohhhhh Jazzzz!!!

I have no words.... except we are exactly where we are supose to be.... Prayers for all of you and you know I wish you all the love and happiness in the world!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

???? My ex is trying to get back with me! I love him dearly, but he too has major issues that he has to do!. He says all the sayings

"I promise I will change"
"I am dealing with my problems"
"I cannot live with out you"
"I swear I will never hurt you"
"Life is so empty with out you"
"Please give me another chance"

So reading your post has made me think ... well maybe there is hope for him.

He has been an addict for at least 80% of his life, he has made changes already. But I am getting on with my life. In fact i thought that oneday we may meet again and we would have both grown up and got on with our own lives instead of being co-dependant!

Thanks for your post. SO glad your happy

take care

misslisa
Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy and excited for you both !
HUGS
Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by misslisa View Post
So reading your post has made me think ... well maybe there is hope for him.
All you can do is move on with your life. Hope is something that can be deceptive when it comes to struggling with an addiction.

I don't consider this a happy ending, more like a stay of execution. Guarded optimism is what you would normally hear in this type of situation.

Get educated about addiction, read, read, get help, therapy, support groups.... the works.

Here's a favorite thread I post so often I'm sure people are sick of it but what the hey....
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...light=ten+ways

I followed each step as though my sanity depended upon it. No matter what choices M makes in the future, I know what choices I am compelled to make.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Wow, that's pretty amazing Jazz, I'm very happy for you both!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, Jazz. Glad you dropped in to keep everyone updated. Nice to get a postcard every now and again.

I know you an M are in very different places than you were a few years ago. I also know that you have some of the best and firmest boundaries of anyone I know, although those always come a bit squishier when those we love are involved.

If I am right in interpreting what you say, this is very much an "in the moment" gig, rather than all based on hope and fantasy. And there is a very good lesson in there for all of us. It is not about what might be, the important thing is what is really happening and making our decisions accordingly.

You deserve to be happy - keep that thought close to your chest, hon.

Don't forget your SR buds!!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is Always HOPE! Bless You.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif
image002.gif (12.7 KB, 104 views)
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On a tear

Mr. Big and I reconciled after an abusive marriage, a divorce and THREE YEARS of weekly group counseling.

His commitment to change was very impressive. Our second marriage has not been without turmoil, but we learned some skills while separated, and MY attending Alanon has made recent years even better.

Glad you are going slow... best of luck!!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I'm doing well at not rescuing or care taking, she knows what she has to do and doesn't even ask for help, (that's different) and I'm not offering, (that's different too ).
Jazzman if I may speak from her side of the fence as a recovered alcoholic. Her doing it on her own without any one pushing her to get sober and now her not asking you to help her says an awful lot about her recovery. IMO She is doing very well, you did and continue to do the right thing for both of you, only she can work her recovery just like only you can work yours. You both know when things are starting to go in the wrong direction.

If she is recovering as well as it sounds like she is, be brutally honest (with love) about anything she may say or do that may give you bad vibes and do the same for her if she tells you something you are doing that may not be giving her good vibes.

The thing you did with her is what my wife was ready to do with me, leave me to face my alcoholism head on by myself allowing me to hit my bottom. Luckly for me I did not step over the cliff into oblivion, but I was close enough to the edge to where I saw my death if I did not stop.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ICU

I'm so glad that M is doing so well. That's a beautiful thing to read about. You sound pretty darned happy too there pal!!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Dear Jazz-

We age a lot slower in slow motion. Good to see you. Take good care.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((Jazz))) Happy to hear the good news; especially that M. is doing well enough for it ever have gotten to this point! Thanks for sharing this!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

Jazz - thanks so much for sharing this - it is nice to know a peaceful, sober reunion is not a complete impossibilty..

and Minnie - thank you for your words about this being "in the moment" and not being based on hope and fantasy. i am beginning to realize i was doing a lot of that....the beginnings of growth for me, i hope.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow Jazz!!! I am almost speechless!!!!! ME!!! You have no idea how little that actually happens - lol!

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying this time of getting to know each other again - and both are continuing your recoveries. I wish you both the very best!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Jazz)))

I'm glad M is sober and getting healthy again. I truly wish you both the best.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow, Jazz, so glad to hear from you and to hear something like this too.
Hugs from Texas. again
Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Jazz, Haven't posted in a long time but could not pass your thread by.
I am so happy to hear that M is doing so much better. You two are a wonderful
example of what can happen when we step out of the alcoholics way....
Knowing you as I do I know that you are going into this with eyes wide open.
I am very happy for you...for the pair of you...give me a call sometime, I'd
love to catch up.....